Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa question

Options
  • 01-02-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am not sure if this is the right thread. Apologies if it is not and feel free to move.

I am an Irish citizen and my fiance (who I have been going out with for almost 5 years) is a US citizen. I was wondering if I was to get a job in Finland, as the partner of an EU citizen, would my partner have any citizen eligibility rights?

If I was to get the position in Finland I am perusing we would be able to afford to get married also, which I presume would help our case.

Thanks to anyone who can provide advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Boards.ie is a fantastic resource, but I'm not sure there's ANY forum that can give you Finnish immigration advice! (If anyone knows one, feel free to report the post and we'll move it.)

Best bet would be to find a way to have the discussion with immigration officials from Finland, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

She would have no citizen rights immediately but you could make an application under EU Treaty Rights, you must be working and you must be able to show you are in a long term stable relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Neo Researcher

Thanks Mary, I intend to contact the immigration authorities and US embassy in Finland.

I know a few couples in which the US citizen got a visa for Ireland based on their partner being Irish. I was just wondering if anyone knew if that visa was limited to Ireland or could they potentially move to any part of the EU, not just Finland in particular.

Thanks a million, The Orb. Could prove those things easily (she registered as my partner with immigration a fair few years ago when getting a student visa to study here). Great to know there is some chance. Much appreciated:)

If you are exercising your EU Treaty Rights in another member state i.e. working then your partner should get a residence permit without difficulty provided the relationship criteria are net, there is no specified time as to how long two people are together but if you are together for five years and you can prove it then it should be a formality. Check the directive in the link

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU%20Treaty%20Rights

• Advertisement

Thanks again the Orb. Hopefully I get the job now. My hopefully future employer sent me a list of questions to answer and some were on my commitment to move and my ties here. Showing we know the procedures we would go through to move their will help show we are committed.
    Thanks again very kind of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

If I was to get the position in Finland I am perusing we would be able to afford to get married also, which I presume would help our case.

Thanks to anyone who can provide advice

Get married in a registry office first to make it legal and keep it quiet from friends and family if thats an issue. You don't have to spend 20k to get married. Good luck with everything

Get married in a registry office first to make it legal and keep it quiet from friends and family if thats an issue. You don't have to spend 20k to get married. Good luck with everything

You do NOT have to be married under the directive

Advertisement