Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is broadband really still a problem?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Many villages around have only recently gained access to O2 wireless broadband, and from what ive seen, its only a small bit faster than dial up.
    In my village we only got eircom broadband available 1 year ago.
    o2 and all similar broadbands are a joke. 3gb - 10gb download limit? Are you joking me? Hell, even the eircom download limits irritate the crap out of me. Its the best broadband I can get here so I have to deal with it for the moment.
    Is there a real legitimate reason for these limits?

Well there's no such thing as a free lunch ye know :D the likes of Eircom have to pay for IP Transit and the like for international links. The more traffic on these links the more they gonna end up paying. Of course the provision of more international interconnection helps. As posted in the "Fibre" thread, there's new links been built across the Irish sea. The more international connectivity the better as it drives down wholesale prices that the ISP's have to pay. Sponge Bob would probably be able to give a better explanation, as I don't work in comms myself.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dubhthach wrote: »
    Well there's no such thing as a free lunch ye know :D the likes of Eircom have to pay for IP Transit and the like for international links. .....

Unfortunately the price of BB from Eircom has very little to do with infrastructure (which is relatively very cheap) and everything to do with Eircom needing to pay off their 4 billion depth.

BB infrastructure costs in Ireland aren't much more expensive then Sweden where you have fibre to the home, 100mb+ bb and no caps for about half the cost of Ireland.

Advertisement