Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Transformation 5k

• 01-02-2011 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

19th Feb in the Phoenix Park @10am.
    Registration seems to be open to all from tomorrow at 8pm and it's free!!
    Looks like a nice flat course too. You have to be registered by tomorrow week and it's only open to 5,000 participants. Anyone else here tempted to take part?

http://www.rte.ie/ot/events.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

"This 5km Fun Run is open to walkers, joggers and runners".

Guess who's gona make up the bulk of that 5,000......and they won't be starting from the back of the field either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are we back to looking for winnable races? :D

It would be quite amusing if 4980 run/walkers turned up, and 20 runners at the front tore off, in a completely different race.

Maybe a bit mean though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Do they think they will get 5,000 even though it is free to enter?

If it was a flat course i would think about it (in a effort for a pb) but the drag coming up out of the Furry Glen and up to the finish to the Furze Road puts me off it as i don't like it. However i'm tempted for a bit of speed work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

chinguetti wrote: »
    However i'm tempted for a bit of speed work.
    Likewise - even though it's into taper for Barcelona, it would be nice to stretch the legs out a bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

eliwallach wrote: »

Guess who's gona make up the bulk of that 5,000......and they won't be starting from the back of the field either.

And what's wrong with that? The obvious idea behind this event is to get people moving and it's a taking part event / fun run rather than race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I think you will find they will easily get 5000 people to sign up to this! You guys may be fit beyond belief but for those of us who are mere mortals you will find that Operation Transformation is massively successful with thousands of people across the country following their healthy choices on a weekly basis!

Feel free to enter and tear off so that you win, but I think at the end of the day you will look foolish! Bit like those guys training for womens races in the states. The whole idea behind this is to get people making positive steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Maybe you should go along and encourage those who arent as capable instead of trying to beat them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Fi H wrote: »
    I think you will find they will easily get 5000 people to sign up to this! You guys may be fit beyond belief but for those of us who are mere mortals you will find that Operation Transformation is massively successful with thousands of people across the country following their healthy choices on a weekly basis!

Which is why its ubber stupidity to limit this to Dublin and 5000 people. The 3K walks which where ran by the local sports partnerships where a huge success and I do not see why they could not have followed suit with 5k run events around the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Be nice to see how this works. Would be great to get something regular and similar to the UK's parkrun's. I'll be away that day so will miss out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

No regular runner should be denying OT participants a spot in this run, given that it's likely to fill up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    No regular runner should be denying OT participants a spot in this run, given that it's likely to fill up.

I'll wait to see what the application process is like tomorrow. I assume there will be some sort of questionnaire as it states that not all applicants will be guaranteed entry:
    "Acceptance of an application does not guarantee a place in the event. Successful applicants will receive confirmation by email and race numbers and final instructions will be sent through the post"

If I apply fairly and they accept the aplication then what's the harm? Besides I loosely followed the operation transformation plan 3 years ago when I myself was loosing weight and very unfit.

• Advertisement

Well, if you are gonna be running it and think that you will finish high up in the field then why would you be starting from the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Feel free to enter and tear off so that you win, but I think at the end of the day you will look foolish! Bit like those guys training for womens races in the states. The whole idea behind this is to get people making positive steps towards a healthier lifestyle. Maybe you should go along and encourage those who arent as capable instead of trying to beat them!!

You should be ashamed of yourself Menoscemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Wozzaah

I'm goin to run it, I'll be there with me flask of tea at 8am on the start line,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

A girl in work just said that entries seem to be closed, so I guess it must have filled up.

I guess its a pity more people who really want to cant take part. But as I just said, just rock up to the park on the day and just join in behind them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A girl in work just said that entries seem to be closed, so I guess it must have filled up.
    They actually only open at 8pm this evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I'm not going to enter. I'm going to spectate with a single of chips an ice cream, a can of full sugar coke and a big bar of chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And when you have them gone pop over to the Hole in the Wall pub for a creamy pint of Guinness and a packet of tayto, yum.

You're going to hell though.

Entry form here
    They just seem to be asking the standard name, address, phone no etc for entry. Seems to be open to all.

Not sure whether to enter or not yet.

And what's wrong with that? The obvious idea behind this event is to get people moving and it's a taking part event / fun run rather than race.

Sorry, just thought this was a running forum.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well, if you are gonna be running it and think that you will finish high up in the field then why would you be starting from the back?

???

I sarcastically (as it is the lowest form of wit) implied that the walkers would be the ones at the front.
    I don't get your point.

• Advertisement

Entry form here
    They just seem to be asking the standard name, address, phone no etc for entry. Seems to be open to all.
    Not sure whether to enter or not yet.

I entered. I don't think they're going to get 5000 entries in a week, so I'm unlikely to be taking the place of someone who wanted it more.
    Its a free 5k, and I'm doing 5k training. It doesn't quite fit the plan, but I should be doing a 3k time trial/race around then, I figure this is close enough.

RayCun wrote: »
    I entered. I don't think they're going to get 5000 entries in a week, so I'm unlikely to be taking the place of someone who wanted it more.
    Its a free 5k, and I'm doing 5k training. It doesn't quite fit the plan, but I should be doing a 3k time trial/race around then, I figure this is close enough.

Hang your head Raymond.

Is there a course map available ?

mrslow wrote: »
    Hang your head Raymond.

Bloody hell, if you are telling me off :eek:

Wozzaah wrote: »
    Is there a course map available ?

Yeah, here

It's basically the same loop that the Jingle Bells usually runs, but starting on Chesterfield. The climb out of the Furry glen is just past the halfway mark.

Thanks Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've entered myself in this too :eek:

I don't get your point.

My point is, there's no point positioning yourself in the middle of a field of walkers and then complaining about the traffic. If You are gonna run an event like this then position yourself in the first few rows. It's not rocket science.

Handbags at dawn. :D

• Advertisement

Just looking at the calander, this race clashes with the BHAA DAA xc race...I'll have to give it a miss now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If spaces are limited, then I wouldn't like to think that I'm taking a place from someone who has never exercised before and never entered a group race.

There's plenty of races available for runners particularly in the Dublin area with the BHAA races. The operation transformation 5k isn't about that. It's about getting people involved in exercise and showing them an alternative to the couch.

Apart from the mini-marathon there isn't a huge amount of "fun-runs" that people would feel comfortable attending.

If spaces are limited, then I wouldn't like to think that I'm taking a place from someone who has never exercised before and never entered a group race.

There's plenty of races available for runners particularly in the Dublin area with the BHAA races. The operation transformation 5k isn't about that. It's about getting people involved in exercise and showing them an alternative to the couch.

Apart from the mini-marathon there isn't a huge amount of "fun-runs" that people would feel comfortable attending.

Totally agree here and feel anyone racing this one is just making fun of the spirit of the event. There but for the grace of God go I!

mrslow wrote: »
    Totally agree here and feel anyone racing this one is just making fun of the spirit of the event. There but for the grace of God go I!

That's what's got me in two minds about entering myself. If i am gonna do it, I'll leave my entry till the last minute so as to not take a place from somebody else.
    However I certainly feel that the C25kers and beginners on here (many of whom have never run an event before) should really do this one. Sounds like a really good event for those people. Not everyone posting on this forum is an elite athlete you know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

That's what's got me in two minds about entering myself. If i am gonna do it, I'll leave my entry till the last minute so as to not take a place from somebody else.
    However I certainly feel that the C25kers and beginners on here (many of whom have never run an event before) should really do this one. Sounds like a really good event for those people. Not everyone posting on this forum is an elite athlete you know ;)

Absolutely, think that C25kers and beginners would really enjoy this one.

If it's a first race for anyone looking here then just follow a few basic rules if you're beginning
    1. don't march up the front and place yourself in front of someone who is wearing small amounts of lycra and looks like they weigh about six stone - they will probably be faster than you

2. equally have a bit of faith in yourself and don't be afraid of pushing up a bit and getting into an area that looks about your pace. If you're down the back surrounded by people in three layers of coats and jackets and with a bag of snacks then you'll spend the whole race trying to dodge around walkers which is very frustrating and tiring

3. don't wear too many clothes - you should be cold starting off. However have someone at the finish with a warm jacket if you can, you'll get cold very quickly when you stop

4. don't change your routine, eat the same breakfast - there's no need to carb load or start glugging gels for a 5k

5. have your breakfast early, I need at least two hours before a race to digest but everyone is different. Others can be munching ham sandwiches on the way to the start without a bother.

6. keep a smile on your face and enjoy the race. Don't be afraid to push yourself for the last one or two kilometers.

7. enlist the support of family or friends. It's lovely to have a smiley face at the finish. And if it's your first race, you'll have an amazing sense of achievement that's lovely to share.

Don't forget to warm up!

• Advertisement

Absolutely, think that C25kers and beginners would really enjoy this one.

If it's a first race for anyone looking here then just follow a few basic rules if you're beginning...

Good advice, I'll copy it to the couch to 5k thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=17339

Just heard about this. It's being televised for RTÉ as part of the new weight loss programme, Operation Transformation.

Does anyone know what the story is regarding people who aren't part of the series entering? I'd love to run it, because it gives me good time to increase training, and it's free.

Who's thinking about doing it, and are allowed to?

Mod: I have merged this with an existing thread on the race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

nerraw1111 wrote: »

complete horse ****e-perhaps we all should all be obese hold hands and walk in rows to the finish in oversized charity t shirts.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭itchyblood

itchyblood wrote: »
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=17339

Just heard about this. It's being televised for RTÉ as part of the new weight loss programme, Operation Transformation.

Does anyone know what the story is regarding people who aren't part of the series entering? I'd love to run it, because it gives me good time to increase training, and it's free.

Who's thinking about doing it, and are allowed to?

Mod: I have merged this with an existing thread on the race

Sorry I missed this thread. I skim too quickly through Boards, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jinka wrote: »
    complete horse ****e-perhaps we all should all be obese hold hands and walk in rows to the finish in oversized charity t shirts.?

That's the target audience so don't see why you're having a problem with that. Your comment is way over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

There are probably going to be many obese people wearing oversized t-shirts walking in rows to the finish. And I hope there are hundreds of them.

That's the point of operation transformation. http://www.rte.ie/ot/about.html

I believe you might be confused with the yet to be commissioned Operation Olympian.

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine?, if you've nothing positive to contribute then don't.

At least an obese person can change that about themselves....in the spirit of positivity I am going to snip my own comment :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Getting a bit over the top with responses there.

People are entitled to their opinion, no need for the abuse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

At least an obese person can change that about themselves....once a gobs**te always a gobsh**e so I know which I would rather be :D

a tad touchy there.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

The t shirt overweight brigade are v sensitive. Leave them to it. Perhaps it is there race walk

I just think this thread is getting funny now!

:D

Its not as positive and encouraging as most of the other ones have been. It should hopefully be a great race for those starting off and in the spirit of the race it shouldnt matter what you look like or how much weight you carry to participate.

For someone very overweight finishing a 5 km race is just as hard as someone who has trained all year for a marathon and in many ways that person may find it more difficult due to the stigma associated with their weight. I think people who make the choice to get off the couch and try to do something positive should be encouraged not stigmatised no matter how slow or unfit they are!

Maybe themods could snip a few comments or something so we can get back into the positive vibe!

violator13 wrote: »
    The t shirt overweight brigade are v sensitive.

Some people need to work on their weight, some people need to work on aspects of their personalities.
    The 't shirt overweight brigade' who do this 5k are working on their weight.

People are entitled to their opinion

Agreed, but anyone who says 'Enough!' and gets out there exercising is to be commended and supported, anyone who can't see that is lacking in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

This thread has gotten hiliarious. I love it when political correctness goes out the window, the gloves come off and people say what they really think.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement