Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Transformation 5k

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fi H wrote: »
    For someone very overweight finishing a 5 km race is just as hard as someone who has trained all year for a marathon and in many ways that person may find it more difficult due to the stigma associated with their weight.

No it's bloody not. Even as an overweight slob as I was a few years ago, walking 5km is no achievement and takes very little training. Training all year through all types of weather to get your best time in a marathon is a much bigger achievement and takes 100 time more effort.
    Are you seriously telling me someone walking a 5k race is putting in as much effort coming up to their 4th k as another person coming up to the 20th mile in a marathon in a world of pain, knowing they have another hour or so of suffereing ahead of them? Get out of it.

I was in two minds whether or not to do this but after listening to some of these arguments I think I'll sign up right now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

For someone very overweight finishing a 5 km race is just as hard as someone who has trained all year for a marathon and in many ways that person may find it more difficult due to the stigma associated with their weight.

I have to say I totally disagree with this part of your post. There is no comparison between the amount of effort that goes into training for a marathon and a 5k race. I can speak as someone who has done both- running 5k while classed as obese and running a marathon being in a healthy weight range. Even with the stigma etc there is just no comparison of how hard a marathon is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

apart from all the to-ing and frow-in and row-in .ill be probably be pay-in for this through me Tv licence money ,so im defo doin this.....(sorry for puttin a new slant on the argumantt:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

menoscemo wrote: »
    another person coming up to the 20th mile in a marathon in a world of pain, knowing they have another hour or so of suffereing ahead of them? Get out of it.

I'd recommend you work on your 5km time.... 6miles in a hour suggests a serious lack of speed.
    Maybe then you can brag about running marathons.

ocnoc wrote: »
    I'd recommend you work on your 5km time.... 6miles in a hour suggests a serious lack of speed.

LoL,
    I was using that as an example of what many people experince doing their first marathon. Personally I took 1hr 10 to do my last 6 miles during my first marathon having blown up completely by mile 19 ;)

Anyway, I'll be hoping to work on my 5k time on the 19th february. Thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

In no way am i putting down the work involved in completing a marathon - its just my opinion :D

Feel free to enter the race in protest at my comment but just remember - I have NOTHING to do with the race, you wont see me on the day, have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Just to tip you off, he ran his last marathon in 3:31, has a pb of 1.31 in a half marathon in awful conditions and ran 26.2 miles today in training in 3:45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Bally8 wrote: »

I have to say I totally disagree with this part of your post. There is no comparison between the amount of effort that goes into training for a marathon and a 5k race. I can speak as someone who has done both- running 5k while classed as obese and running a marathon being in a healthy weight range. Even with the stigma etc there is just no comparison of how hard a marathon is.

I assume you never actually trained to race a 5k. You may have meant 'There is no comparison between the amount of effort that goes into finishing a marathon and 5k race' that would be true, but don't fall into the illusion, that most people on this forum have, that only real runners run marathons and ultra's - thats bull.
    As for those here who are going to run this race - cop on - its not for you. This event is for those trying to change their lives and fair play to them, there a loads of higher level races for the rest.

In no way am i putting down the work involved in completing a marathon - its just my opinion :D

Feel free to enter the race in protest at my comment but just remember - I have NOTHING to do with the race, you wont see me on the day, have fun!

I was going to enter anyway.
    Let's look at it rationally. The webpage says it is open to all walkers joggers and runners, it is free, it is being held at a time and place where I would be anyway doing a long run. It is an easyish course and a good chance of A PB. Why wouldn't I enter it? I have as much right as anyone to enter it.

Anyway, it has to be said, this thread is giving me a good laugh :pac: We haven't had mnay like this round here lately. Can't wait for the mini Marathon threads coming up soon. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

gerard65 wrote: »
    I assume you never actually trained to race a 5k. You may have meant 'There is no comparison between the amount of effort that goes into finishing a marathon and 5k race' that would be true, but don't fall into the illusion, that most people on this forum have, that only real runners run marathons and ultra's - thats bull.
    As for those here who are going to run this race - cop on - its not for you. This event is for those trying to change their lives and fair play to them, there a loads of higher level races for the rest.

Agreed. Even, as an ultra 'runner', I can find the elitest attitude from the long distance runners on here incredibly irritating. Probably not for this thread, but, I don't think a lot of people understand the sort of training that goes into really running 5k and 10k...

Edit: Also, 5k for someone that is obsese and out of shape is a big, big deal. I've worked with a lot of people who were more than just obese and the sense of achievement for them to do something like this is immense. I'm disappointed I won't be able to go and watch it. This is a marathon for some of them and can kick start a whole new life for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Can't wait for the mini Marathon threads coming up soon. :P

I'm surprised one hasn't started yet on tLL for this year, particularly considering a huge amount of people over there are doing Couch to 5k at the moment...
    I don't think a lot of people understand the sort of training that goes into really running 5k and 10k...

That amount of speedwork scares me :pac:

Not free ones there ain't.

Anyway where do you draw the line at who should and should not enter it? we have already established that couch 2 5kers should enter it. People who have recently finished c25k should enter it too apparently. 'Slow' runners and first time racers should do it as well.....where do you draw the line?

Anyway where do you draw the line at who should and should not enter it? we have already established that couch 2 5kers should enter it. People who have recently finished c25k should enter it too apparently. 'Slow' runners and first time racers should do it as well.....where do you draw the line?

Are you doing the Cupids dash 10k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Slow' runners
    I'm pretty slow, that means I'm in :pac:

Go on then, run the f**king race, your a big ouldwan anyway, menopause, and theres another race on the June Bank Holiday that'll suit you as well. Would love to get you on a XC course, but your danty ankles would'nt hold up:eek:

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    Are you doing the Cupids dash 10k?

Nah, you have to pay for that one. I'm looking for value for my Euro these days.

By the way, which side are you on in this argument. You seem t be thanking posts from both sides of the argument. :pac:

Go on then, run the f**king race, your a big ouldwan anyway, menopause, and theres another race on the June Bank Holiday that'll suit you as well. Would love to get you on a XC course, but your danty ankles would'nt hold up:eek:

Ah, you're just scared I'll beat you.
    And Lol at the tough guy comments. Guess who backed out of a run today because it was raining? :pac::P

And Lol at the tough guy comments. Guess who backed out of a run today because it was raining? :pac::P
    Right, theres a BHAA XC in Swords next week, see you there. The reason I did'nt make it this morning was because I got a little drunk last night, and I went out this afternoon, its was real rain, not the girly drizzle this morning.
    (now wait for his excuse for chickening out next week)

Right, theres a BHAA XC in Swords next week, see you there. The reason I did'nt make it this morning was because I got a little drunk last night, and I went out this afternoon, its was real rain, not the girly drizzle this morning.

ahh poor gerard can't make it out for 10 miles cos he has had a few beers the night before. HTFU :pac:

Nah, you have to pay for that one. I'm looking for value for my Euro these days.

By the way, which side are you on in this argument. You seem t be thanking posts from both sides of the argument. :pac:

I'm playing devil's advocate, I can appreciate both sides of the discussion without giving a rats a5s about either!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

He can do the girly, wussy race. :pac:

I'm tempted to do both, if I manage to get rid of the sisters baby and get to go... :(

Bally8 wrote: »

You're right I've never raced a 5k or a marathon for that matter. Around these parts I'm not allowed call myself a runner as I have whats considered a very slow time of 10-11 minute miles. But in my opinion and from my experience there is much more effort involved in running a marathon than 5k for people like me. I have huge respect for those that run shorter distances, I never once claimed that they are not real runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

He he this is a fun thread..havent seen so much carry on since the "run in the snow/ice" thread!

I am extremely slow and a past c25ker so I am doing the OT 5K. And I hope to meet lots of others doing/finished c25k's, just as I have at other 5K/10K runs over last few months. And any of the other runners I have met at these races have been full of good wishes and encouragment for us back of the packers! (lots of new terms in here for starters).

But I am really interested to know ...what happens in mini-marathon threads? Should I start one to see??;)

maria74 wrote: »
    He he this is a fun thread..havent seen so much carry on since the "run in the snow/ice" thread!

But I am really interested to know ...what happens in mini-marathon threads? Should I start one to see??;)
    Skin and hair flying in all directions, insults been thrown, mods having nervous breakdowns. This thread is a bit of crac, but the mini-marathon - thats WAR. Even using the word MARATHON in the description starts people freaking out. Great fun sitting back and watching it unfold, real car crash stuff:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Couldnt agree more. Lot of angry people out there.

Read on the RTE website that this race is a fun run. with that in mind, the docklands race in May is a fun run.
    when you look at the results, there is nothing fun run about the times of the top 30. very good times.

so if you have never ran a 5k before and this is a massive challange, best of luck to you.

if you feel that you are entitled to a spot of the Irish track team and you will use this race as preperation for the Olympics best of luck to you.

or if you are an ordianry joe (male and female, we all remember what happend to Andy Gray : ) ) Soap and want to do a 5k best of luck.

hope its a dry day.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Skin and hair flying in all directions, insults been thrown, mods having nervous breakdowns. This thread is a bit of crac, but the mini-marathon - thats WAR. Even using the word MARATHON in the description starts people freaking out. Great fun sitting back and watching it unfold, real car crash stuff:D

Brillant! Can't wait to see. I will have to start one for the craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

I'm enjoying this thread, so sorry to go 'off-topic'.

there are quite a few 'experienced' Le Chéile AC runners doing this,
    but not to race; there doing it to support/encourage/run with some of the more recent recruits to the running community and our C25K'ers.

it should be a good morning out, and if it encourages even 100 people to stick with this running lark, we might have a few more visitors to the A/R/T section looking for marathon advice next year!

so enjoy, and to the Serious Racers, Good luck, i hope you win, it'll be a prize to put in a very prominent position on the mantelpiece.

Operation Transformation 5K winner 2011:)

so get back to the scrappin' now lads;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thread delivers, would read again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

People seem to be forgetting the 'fun' in all this. I've run a couple of events where big stars have also run in the event in a non competitive way like Sonia in Cork. I also cycled with Sean Kelly on a charity event and its nice to say you were close to someone who was a world beater in their sport. If world beaters can run/cycle with common folk, why can't everyone else?

Everyone is at a different level folks, be they 15 minutes or 50 minutes to cross the line. Everyone has a different goal, be it a certain time or just to finish. No one started their first run as a champion i guess so everyone should remember that the starting is the difficult bit.

I'm in the process of learning to swim and find it bloody difficult and v frustrating esp when a 5 year old glides by me. This is how many might feel who are starting out on a c25k or as part of this programme. I think some of this thread is way OTT but everyone has the right to an opinion.

And by the way, i think 5k races are much harder to train for than a marathon as i hate speed sessions.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

But I am really interested to know ...what happens in mini-marathon threads?

I believe there's a lot of discussion on the best place to buy your Monster Munch :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Wozzaah

chinguetti wrote: »

And by the way, i think 5k races are much harder to train for than a marathon as i hate speed sessions.:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thread has moved on a fair bit to quote this now, however my response would have been...
    mrslow wrote: »
    Just to tip you off, he ran his last marathon in 3:31, has a pb of 1.31 in a half marathon in awful conditions and ran 26.2 miles today in training in 3:45.

Quoting races times. I'm unsure if it was meant to intimate me or to give me a good morning laugh!

As I said, more speed, less distance. "Times" tend to come down quicker. Which gives me an idea of a thread topic. "Why avg runners are obsessed with times".

Go here and have some fun racing. You'll soon learn how irrelevant times become.

I'm feeling a lot of spite and anger against non elites running

Thread has moved on a fair bit to quote this now, however my response would have been...

Quoting races times. I'm unsure if it was meant to intimate me or to give me a good morning laugh!

As I said, more speed, less distance. "Times" tend to come down quicker. Which gives me an idea of a thread topic. "Why avg runners are obsessed with times".

Go here and have some fun racing. You'll soon learn how irrelevant times become.

I was just putting you in the picture as you had mentioned how 'slow' 10 min miles were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

At Annagh Hill today I heard the phrase "track fairy", reserved I think for those who chose laps of a field over imra...;)

Surely people should be encouraging non elites to run instead of feeling spite and anger towards them. Whats your problem? Im getting v tired of this attitude around here. This thread is starting to sound like the triathlete's one which claims that 'proper' runners are only people who ran when they were young. Im not a proper runner because I decided to wait till I was 26 to get off my fat ass and move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

jb-ski wrote: »
    I'm enjoying this thread, so sorry to go 'off-topic'.

there are quite a few 'experienced' Le Chéile AC runners doing this,
    but not to race; there doing it to support/encourage/run with some of the more recent recruits to the running community and our C25K'ers.

so get back to the scrappin' now lads;)

Fair play to yee! That sounds like a really good plan and great for those you are encouraging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

ahh poor gerard can't make it out for 10 miles cos he has had a few beers the night before. HTFU :pac:

Such funny comments from a guy that seems to be quickly getting a big head because he can run 60mile weeks - what to barely break 20mins and not even break 90mins for a half? Ger would prob whup your ass off 20miles a week and i can do them times off a few weeks cycling. maybe pick a sport you ve some talent for.:pac::P See anybody can jest. Stop being such an elitest spanner

And so what if there are some mini marathon threads on this board. I didnt know it was exclusive to certain people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Exclusive to women, I believe (the race, not the thread)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Ger would prob whup your ass off 20miles a week and i can do them times off a few weeks cycling.
    Yes but cycling is cheating, try racing him on foot, mano o mano...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Wow this thread really is a load of c0ck. Taking up running has been a transformative experience for a lot of people on and off this message board, we should be applauding and encouraging people who sign up to run, walk or crawl a 5k.

At the same time, mountain running snobbery does nothing for me either. It doesn't matter whether you toe the line on the track, on the road, in a field or on a mountainside as long as you have the courage to lay down everything you have between there and the finish. Rich Castro had a good quote about how with running it's not what you achieve that's important, it's what you become.

Jeaz!! You can't say anything without been lambasted here!

At Annagh Hill today I heard the phrase "track fairy", reserved I think for those who chose laps of a field over imra...
    asimonov wrote: »
    At the same time, mountain running snobbery does nothing for me either

@asimonov: I believe that that was a dig at me for choosing the XC over the Winter League today - chill - he wasn't having a go at other athletes!

Think you need atrip back to school for reading and comprehensive lessons
    RandyMann wrote: »
    Exclusive to women, I believe (the race, not the thread)
    RandyMann wrote: »
    Yes but cycling is cheating, try racing him on foot, mano o mano...

Jeaz!! You can't say anything without been lambasted here!

Ah, ya can. Nobody should be taking this thread seriously, most of it is banter, people seem to be getting upset about general slagging between mates. The forum here is very accommodating to all levels of all types of running, some threads are general train wrecks, this is a prime example.

asimonov wrote: »
    Wow this thread really is a load of c0ck. Taking up running has been a transformative experience for a lot of people on and off this message board, we should be applauding and encouraging people who sign up to run, walk or crawl a 5k.

It doesn't matter whether you toe the line on the track, on the road, in a field or on a mountainside as long as you have the courage to lay down everything you have between there and the finish.

Couldnt have but it better myself.

• Advertisement

@asimonov: I believe that that was a dig at me for choosing the XC over the Winter League today - chill - he wasn't having a go at other athletes!

Bingo. I was weeping when I heard you weren't coming, made for your sort, this course was. Next time I'll get out my lawn mower;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

K. Just got my goat a bit, especially when the really good runners tend to be able to produce the goods wherever they run. I'll stick to my original point though, inclusiveness wins out, all running is good.

Think you need atrip back to school for reading and comprehensive lessons

Its called having a laugh or taking the pi55, nothing wrong with my comprehension, in fact isn't there meant to be a gap between "a" and "trip" or is "atrip" a new word that I will learn in reading and comprehension school?
    :pac: Keep up the good work, I'm enjoying it...

Such funny comments from a guy that seems to be quickly getting a big head because he can run 60mile weeks - what to barely break 20mins and not even break 90mins for a half? Ger would prob whup your ass off 20miles a week and i can do them times off a few weeks cycling. maybe pick a sport you ve some talent for.:pac::P See anybody can jest. Stop being such an elitest spanner

And so what if there are some mini marathon threads on this board. I didnt know it was exclusive to certain people.
    Ah, ya can. Nobody should be taking this thread seriously, most of it is banter, people seem to be getting upset about general slagging between mates. The forum here is very accommodating to all levels of all types of running, some threads are general train wrecks, this is a prime example.

Yep this thread has literally turned into a bit of off Topic banter and I am as guilty as anyone. But when I look at it this thread I realise it must look awful and intimidating for someone just taking up running and considering running this event. I apologise for whatever part I played in that. Anyone in that position, please disreagrd my posts, they were mostly just taking the piss between mates.

Running is a sport for all levels and this forum should be inclusive to all runners. I apologise if any off my posts come across as in any way elitist or snobbish. I'm really not like that :o

By way...slightly off topic...anybody still doing the Operation Transformation 5K???:D :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement