Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Transformation 5k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yep this thread has literally turned into a bit of off Topic banter and I am as guilty as anyone. But when I look at it this thread I realise it must look awful and intimidating for someone just taking up running and considering running this event. I apologise for whatever part I played in that. Anyone in that position, please disreagrd my posts, they were mostly just taking the piss between mates.

Running is a sport for all levels and this forum should be inclusive to all runners. I apologise if any off my posts come across as in any way elitist or snobbish. I'm really not like that :o
    Didnt read this before I Pm'ed you back. I think you hit the nail on the head - this thread looks shocking to first timers coming on here.

I apologise for my own comments and throwing petrol on the bonfire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Peace is breaking out, all together now 'How many roads must a man walk down.....'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    Peace is breaking out, all together now 'How many roads must a man walk down.....'

Walk? Better bloody run down them if he wants some respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

so does boards AC have a team for this or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I am aiming to jog/run this, it will be my first ever race. I'd fall into the OT type as I'm trying to lose weight.

That's the plan anyway. One of my knees is giving me a spot of bother but I'm confident a few days rest will sort it out. I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Scous_tache

this sounds like a great event.

As someone who went from couch to standard distance triathlon in a year, losing nearly 3 stone in the process I found taking part in the great Ireland run a great motivator and boost along the way. This race sounds like a similar fun run. The more of these races the better, and free too which is a bonus. The overweight walker can be iron man runner (next personal goal) in a few short years. Less of the sniping comments please

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

so does boards AC have a team for this or what?

Nah they're all slow long distance runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Heard Ray D'Arcy saying that they were looking at starting a 5k series around Ireland to encourage people to start running. It would be pitched at the "fun run" area. Great idea.

Anyone received their pack yet in the post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Theres a pack in the post? didnt see that bit!
    only closed entry on wednesday midnight so i reckon dont worry about it for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Heard Ray D'Arcy saying that they were looking at starting a 5k series around Ireland to encourage people to start running. It would be pitched at the "fun run" area. Great idea.

Heard that alright, think it might be at lunchtime (which would make sense..tie in with the show time). He was talking a few weeks ago about c25k and trying to get a way to get people to start the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If they had Parkrun here like they do in the UK (free 5k races), that would be fantastic for getting people out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'll be doing this, running with her goodself on her first ever event :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If they had Parkrun here like they do in the UK (free 5k races), that would be fantastic for getting people out.

Had never heard of these before, but they are going to be starting up a new one near me next month so will be going along to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

looking forward to this 5k, have only done one race Aware 10k this year be great to run with people who are only starting out too.

Will be great if Ray does the C25k run, think they are waiting for OT to be over so not to step on any toes and also it will take 9 weeks for people to get through the program. Think its a great idea! so prob be summer time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Wonder could we do a simple version of this for Boards, I think we have the skills and contacts.
    Year 1 keep it simple, in Dublinish, 4-5 x 5k races in July.
    Free to enter - get some of the Commercial interests on here to cough up some nominal gifts or vouchers.
    Shanganagh, Marley, Maynooth, Tymon or Avondale?

Thoughts?

The Boards.ie Summer 5k series?

Good idea but following my experience where I organised a free 5k race in maynooth for boards it won't work. A measley 11 people turned up. Waste of my time and also a lot of food that was donated to me. Need somebody to drive these thing with 100% commitment. Not usual half hearted $hite that I frequently encounter.

Good idea but following my experience where I organised a free 5k race in maynooth for boards it won't work. A measley 11 people turned up. Waste of my time and also a lot of food that was donated to me. Need somebody to drive these thing with 100% commitment. Not usual half hearted $hite that I frequently encounter.

I hear ya, I think that was kept very select though and only publised through Boards - I think we have enough people on here that are members of clubs and could spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yep, fully agree with this unfortunately. I felt embarassed for you out at maynooth, and it effectively killed Boards AC IMO.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I hear ya, I think that was kept very select though and only publised through Boards - I think we have enough people on here that are members of clubs and could spread the word.

Half the forum was invited by in one way or another (PM, Facebook etc).

I still like your idea though. But I just wouldn't go into organising facilities, food etc.

Half the forum was invited by in one way or another (PM, Facebook etc).

I still like your idea though. But I just wouldn't go into organising facilities, food etc.

Agree - treat it like a time trail - you turn up get a number and a time and bog off.

Agree - treat it like a time trail - you turn up get a number and a time and head off to the pub for a session.

FYP

Maybe, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. And I was left with a sour taste.

I think the Parkruns work because they are on every week - it means there can be a large group of people who race sometimes, and never need to check if its on. And that's a massive commitment for the organisers - you'd need to start with a group who can do 3 hours a week every week for months, until you can expect to start roping in people who'll cover some shifts.

Has anyone received any kind of confirmation or pack or anything?

The only thing I got was an email from Athletics Ireland the day I registered (about an hour after entries opened) saying I was successfully entered in the race.

I think we're supposed to get a follow up mail or follow up confirmation or something as well as the race pack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Dr. Eva will pay a surprise visit to your house and give you a lecture on your diet and lack of training - be afraid, very afraid.

G-Money wrote: »
    Has anyone received any kind of confirmation or pack or anything?

The only thing I got was an email from Athletics Ireland the day I registered (about an hour after entries opened) saying I was successfully entered in the race.

I think we're supposed to get a follow up mail or follow up confirmation or something as well as the race pack?

registration only closed on Fiday AFAIK, so they wouldn't be sending anything out until at least monday.

[HTML][/HTML]
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Dr. Eva will pay a surprise visit to your house and give you a lecture on your diet and lack of training - be afraid, very afraid.

Right I'm officially in hiding now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Hummm in many ways I could probably do with that visit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

I just received an email to say they will be sending final details to my home address by this Weds/Thurs.

I wonder will Dr Eva deliver them personally:)

• Advertisement

There's been a lot of back and forth on this and I just want to say ' Fair play to Menoscemo for sticking to his guns on this one' :)

ac20 wrote: »
    I just received an email to say they will be sending final details to my home address by this Weds/Thurs.

Got the same email myself this morning.

Although I was at the physio earlier as my knee has been giving me some jip. He treated it and said to give it 3 days and try it out then so will see how it goes for Saturday.

Can't remember if this has already been asked, even by me possibly, but is this being chip timed?

G-Money wrote: »
    Can't remember if this has already been asked, even by me possibly, but is this being chip timed?

I'm pretty sure it won't be. (It is free, after all)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 frogmalia

Fi H wrote: »
    Theres a pack in the post? didnt see that bit!
    only closed entry on wednesday midnight so i reckon dont worry about it for a while!

Has anyone received their confirmation e-mail or information pack yet?!! I got an e-mail confirming my application alright but as it says on the RTE website this doesn't guarantee a place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

There's been a lot of back and forth on this and I just want to say ' Fair play to Menoscemo for sticking to his guns on this one' :)

Cheerleader alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Does anyone know where exactly the OT funrun starts? It just says Chesterfield Avenue online but doesnt say which end.

eliwallach wrote: »
    Cheerleader alert.

yep, it's pretty embarssing :o

Mr Slow, get yourself another hero :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

frogmalia wrote: »
    Has anyone received their confirmation e-mail or information pack yet?!! I got an e-mail confirming my application alright but as it says on the RTE website this doesn't guarantee a place!

Got mine today, cannot run now, BHAA race priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

newbie! wrote: »
    Does anyone know where exactly the OT funrun starts? It just says Chesterfield Avenue online but doesnt say which end.

The race starts just before furze rd on chesterfield ave at the castleknock gate end.

map http://www.rte.ie/ot/images/operation_transformation_5k_fun_run.JPG

• Advertisement

got confirmation email on Monday, said pack be out Wed/Thursday, but no pack yet!

I got my pack today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Got my number today and a small clear gear bag that isn't big enough to hold a lot

yep, it's pretty embarssing :o

Mr Slow, get yourself another hero :pac:.

Menoscemo,Menoscemo,where for art though Menoscemo?

What time are you expecting for this race?

Menoscemo,Menoscemo,where for art though Menoscemo?

What time are you expecting for this race?

none. I'm working

Ah that's sh1te, after all the flak you took here and now you can't even run it? That's a real shame.

Will there be anywhere to park near this? I'd be coming from the M50 southbound. The documentation that came with it says to enter via the Ashtown Gate entrance but I'm not sure where you can park around there.

Assuming I'm still taking part (knee problems).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

I'll probably go early and chance parking on Chesterfield Ave

should be able to park at the papal cross car park, and if not there on Chesterfield itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Watch out for road closures in the Phoenix Park for the run:

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Event-Guide/Sports-Events/Operation-Transformation-Fun-Run.aspx
    The Operation Transformation Fun Run will take place in the Phoenix Park on Saturday 19th February.

To accommodate this event there will be a number of road and gate closures. From 7:30am to 1pm Chesterfield Ave will be closed between the Mountjoy and Phoenix monuments and Ordnance Survey Rd, Glen Rd and Upr Glen Rd will close. During this time the Chapelizod, Castleknock and Knockmaroon Gates will also close and there will be no right turn into the park at the Ashtown Gate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement