Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Transformation 5k

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

What time are they expecting to win this?
    Is anybody on here racing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Someone should tell AA Roadwatch that their website is out of date. There's no such bus route as the 10 or 10a anymore.

Anyone know where the Mountjoy monument is in the Phoenix Park? Apparently chesterfield ave is closed between the Mountjoy and Phoenix monuments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

G-Money wrote: »
    Someone should tell AA Roadwatch that their website is out of date. There's no such bus route as the 10 or 10a anymore.

Anyone know where the Mountjoy monument is in the Phoenix Park? Apparently chesterfield ave is closed between the Mountjoy and Phoenix monuments.

It's here

It's the roundabout closest to the Castleknock gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Just back from UK tonight and no pack despite the confirmation mail from run Ireland... Oh well, whole point was to help the GF through her first race and I can still go and support her... Bit annoyed not to have a number all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    What time are they expecting to win this?
    Is anybody on here racing this?

My wife is going from couch to 5kms..so i will be on the side of the road with the boys and a supply of water, gels, jelly babies, sponges, oranges, bananas, plasters, etc... to support her.:)
    She is just aiming for a finish and hope she will be able to walk on Sunday..
    It reminds me of my first race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

bit of a thick question buts its my 1st race another graduate of C25K. Unless it comes in the post today i've no number and all that. but got both emails. i assume i can still show up and ill be on a list somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

They say on the website that
    Acceptance of an application does not guarantee a place in the event. Successful applicants will receive confirmation by email and race numbers and final instructions will be sent through the post.

Usually I'd be against people just turning up and running, but I'd make an exception in this case. Its a free fun run.

By the way, if you want to get an accurate time for your run, bring a stopwatch. Start it when you cross the start line, stop when you cross the finish line. I don't think there's chip timing even for people with numbers, and the clock at the finish line won't be much good to you if it takes 5/10 minutes to cross the start line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Got mine today, you get letter, race number, gear bag with number on it & a flyer for the Great Ireland Run 10k

It's a free fun run, walk-jog-run with no chip timing.

Ignore the elitism earlier in this thread, enjoy the race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

zAbbo wrote: »
    Got mine today, you get letter, race number, gear bag with number on it & a flyer for the Great Ireland Run 10k

It's a free fun run, walk-jog-run with no chip timing.

Ignore the elitism earlier in this thread, enjoy the race :)

and according to the email sent to me last night showing the race map, theres a goody bag at the end for everyone:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

ac20 wrote: »
    and according to the email sent to me last night showing the race map, theres a goody bag at the end for everyone:)

A healthy goody bag no doubt
    I wonder what will be in it?
    Cereal? (No sugar? Special K or Weetabix or something?)
    Porridge?
    Deodorant?
    Banana?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

i havent heard anything either :( going to show up and hope for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

If you have not received your bib number in the post today but are registered for the race, you can pick up a bib number at the information desk on the morning of the race. The information desk will be located at the start of the race.

Please try and get to the information desk before 9.15am.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Emailed them this morning as I had not received a pack and got this! So bring your email confirmation I would say and we should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Mine turned up but I never got the email about map - can someone post the start point - cheers!

Fi H wrote: »
    Mine turned up but I never got the email about map - can someone post the start point - cheers!

On Chesterfield, just north of the Phoenix monument
    http://www.rte.ie/ot/images/operation_transformation_5k_fun_run.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Best of luck to all the first timers, hope the bug catches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran 24.35 this morning. Pretty much proved to myself that I'm not fully over the bug that I had during the week because the legs were definitely good for sub-24 but I was still too congested to get enough air in. I think there might have to be another crack at a 5k after Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

ran 23.58 which is a pb. well organised and good atmosphere beforehand. I met another board regular at the start and finish called Gearoid who did a PB too (under 20 mins). Water, fruit, cereal bars in the goody bag at the end. That hill that comes out of the furry glen (I think) was a killer for me today, but delighted to go under 24 mins for the first time.

42 mins 15 seconds for me for my first 5K. Not too bad but a tiny bit disappointed not to get a sub 40. Having said that my main objective was to not finish last and to not walk any part of it so on both of those terms, I succeeded.

I was massively nervous about it seeing it was my first race, so much so that I woke up about 3.15am and couldn't get back to sleep. My knee also gave me no bother as well which was a massive and welcome surprise. It was a tiny bit sore over the last km but other than that, it was perfect.

It was also a half inspiring/half disappointing to see the elites coming back onto Furze road just as I was heading from Ordnance Survey road into Knockmaroon.

The organisation seemed ok although the sound was a bit messed up and we couldn't hear the fitness guy as the mic didn't seem hooked up correctly. I was also a bit surprised that they arranged us into pens based on our race number so I was right up the front!

I paced myself reasonably well I thought and tried to ignore everyone passing me and used my Garmin to keep my pace regular enough.

That hill out of Furry Glen was very tough and really took it out of me. I had planned to save some energy and put the hammer down over the last kilometre but that was not an option. I sped up a tiny bit over the last half kilometre but still not exactly Haile :)

I have to admit glancing over my shoulder once I got up the hill and looking down to be relieved to see quite a few others walking and who hadn't even approached the hill yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

was happy ran it in 30.04 was pleased as its the 1st time ive done a 5k run since secondary school. felt i cud have done better but sure can only improve from here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done all that took part today
    Nice event, decent atmosphere (not as much posing as there weren't as many elites there :D) and 2 decent goodie bags
    23.30 on my watch which was great considering the lack of running for 6 weeks or so.
    Met Rainbow Kirby at the end- best of luck for Barca (and tomorrow's 18 miler!)

Thought there was a lovely atmosphere and enjoyed the run today although I also found the hill hard going (and the trying to avoid various cameras!)
    Garmin said 38.07 which is a slight drop on Oct 5K so happy with that.
    Well done to everyone who finished, great to see so many people out there and giving it a go. Well organised, especially considering the numbers and what a fab day for it!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

maria74 wrote: »
    Thought there was a lovely atmosphere and enjoyed the run today although I also found the hill hard going (and the trying to avoid various cameras!)
    Garmin said 38.07 which is a slight drop on Oct 5K so happy with that.
    Well done to everyone who finished, great to see so many people out there and giving it a go. Well organised, especially considering the numbers and what a fab day for it!!:)

Yeah, really nice run. Was well prepared for the hill and we got around under 35 which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EdMoses

Well done to all. Beautiful day for it. My first 5k and my 4th race to date so was over the moon with my 21:50 especially after busting a gut in last week's disappointing 9.8k race. :-) Found that hill a bit of a killer too and slowed significantly from there on so think I might be able to go a bit faster with a bit more training. Thought everything was organised really well and that there was a really nice atmosphere. Anyone recommend a really flat 5k? Ed.

The MSB 5k next month is really flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Had a great morning today! lovely route with a tough hill thrown in for good measure!:D

Would love some more of these!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

This was a great little race, well organised and well supported. Ran 37:53 (just over 16 minutes outside my PB) yesterday helping a friend around her first ever race, she was thrilled just to finish and under 40 minutes is pretty good with no training IMO.

Having had a day or two to reflect on this race, I think it was a lovely wee event with a really nice relaxed atmosphere. It was my first ever race/fun run so I don't really have much of a barometer to measure it against, but as my first one, I'd say it was ideal.

I have to admit at the time I was more relieved and exhausted than overjoyed to get over the finish line. It seemed so far away even after it came into sight when we got back onto the Furze road.

At one point I was running past a camera and I could hear the assistants telling people to smile and the smile I forced out took as much effort as the hill out of Furry Glen did and the expression on my face was probably just as unpleasant. I reckon the smile I put on made me look like I was running on nails.

Funnily enough, while the hill was tough, it was once it levelled off and we got onto the flat area that it seemed to take the most out of me. My legs felt like they were barely moving and I would loved a few mouthfuls of Lucozade sport or something for some energy. Perhaps an idea for the future there. I was also choking for a drink on the start line. I probably didn't drink enough before the start, but mostly because I didn't want to be bursting for the loo half way around.

I also have to admit I was really missing my music at certain stages, but mostly towards the end. I ended up having to sort of play some songs in my head in a vain attempt to eak out a little more energy.

I ended up parking in the Papal cross car park and I was there about 8.15am and it was pretty much empty. Even when I left to head to the start line about 9.15am the car park still seemed to have tons of free spaces.

One thought did jump into my head though towards the end. I was really struggling and I thought "How the hell am I going to do 10K in about 7 weeks time, especially if the route is the same as this". I didn't even want to think about the half marathon in September I'm registered to do!

At one point I caught up and passed one of the contestants from the show. I don't remember if I made it over the finish line before her or not. Over the last km I'd pass her then she'd pass me, then I'd pass her and I sort of wanted to get across the line before she did but I ended up just focusing on what I needed to do.

So it was an enjoyable experience now that I'm looking back on it, even though at the time it was tough. I was somewhat disheartened by how difficult I found it and how slow I was. I'd love to get my 5K time down to an easy sub 35 but that seems like such a huge mountain for me at the moment. I guess I really do need to knuckle down and drop some weight as all it's doing is slowing me down and holding me back.

Just remembered that at the finish there was a guy literally pushing a girl from behind to get her to finish line, and it really made me laugh!

G-Money, I had the fear of 10K also when doing the race, but it is7/8 weeks away so lets worry about that then!

Just enjoy the fact that you have come so far, wasn't that long ago you were doing c25k and worried you wouldn't finish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dazman2251

Ran 21:20 and was pleased enough with that, any sign of the race pics? There are a few on racepix but i saw a couple of photographers on my way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

dazman2251 wrote: »
    Ran 21:20 and was pleased enough with that, any sign of the race pics? There are a few on racepix but i saw a couple of photographers on my way around.

Don't know if you are on Facebook, but loads of photos on Action Photography page - 181 of them actually! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

So how many ''club runners'' turned up for this event.in my opinion I think anyone who runs for a club who ran this should be ashamed of themselves.
    The event is trying to encourage unfit or people who aren't very active to get out andf get fit.
    For a club runner to line up in this would put alot of them off and feel the event isn't for them but the difference was this event really got all fitness levels out and im sure they enjoyed the day.
    I just think its an ego thing if any club runner ran this,maybe get on tv or tell their mates they came top 10.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

clubcard wrote: »
    So how many ''club runners'' turned up for this event.in my opinion I think anyone who runs for a club who ran this should be ashamed of themselves.
    The event is trying to encourage unfit or people who aren't very active to get out andf get fit.
    For a club runner to line up in this would put alot of them off and feel the event isn't for them but the difference was this event really got all fitness levels out and im sure they enjoyed the day.
    I just think its an ego thing if any club runner ran this,maybe get on tv or tell their mates they came top 10.

Why shouldn't club runners take part?

There'd be uproar if an event was started and they said ''if you're fat and unfit you can't run in this''...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Here's a big feckin' wooden spoon; and here's a big feckin' bucket of sh!t. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There really weren't many club runners, though according to one of the posts on the OT Facebook page a guy ran 16.30 and came 2nd (but did the race because of his GF, who finished in 41 minutes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Now all club runners cant run a sub 20, sub 25 or a sub 30 for 5k

Just because your a club runner doesnt mean your not overweight and that your extremely fit.

Running clubs are a great way for people to meet other people socially and go for a jog and gain great benefits out of it.

Our club has about 6 different adult sections and without all of those sections the club be a boring place as everyone mingles and have great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

Look your obviously an angry little person with issues.
    Someone like you will never be happy because, you will always find something to give out about.
    As for egos and being on t.v., thats obviously something thats in your head lad, its clearly bothering you, perhaps your pissed off you didn't get a chance to be in the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

There really weren't many club runners, though according to one of the posts on the OT Facebook page a guy ran 16.30 and came 2nd (but did the race because of his GF, who finished in 41 minutes).

yes rainbow, i done this race just because my gf is getting started and i knew it would be a nice experience in the park.
    having to get up at half 6 and eat dry porridge mighten be everyones cup of tea but it is worth it when you see people getting fit and enjoying themselfs.
    I also used this as a bit of speed stamina before ballycotton and as a time trial to see how training was progressing.
    It just happened to fit in perfectly for this, i was free saturday morning and a few days before or after and i would not have ran this as competitively but, jogged with it herself.
    A lovely morning too, so it was nice to get out and see so many people having fun.
    Fair play to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

+1. Someone here has the bottle to call it as they see it. 'Pot collectors' as we used to call them in the 80's. They scan the regional papers in Easons on a Thursday evening to find he local regional races they may have a chance of picking up a plastic 'pot' trophy, and then mouth off to all their mates about the 'race' they won. Would'nt mind, but there were real races on last weekend, but for some a 5 mile slog through the mud where they might get a bit dirty or a handy 5k fun run in the park:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Clubcard makes a rational and reasonable point. To call them an angry little man is offside.

The idea of skinny club runners lining up is ridiculous. Bit crap if some OT viewer didn't get a place so someone could run sub 20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

Bit of a contradiction here,you ran the race because your gf is getting started and i knew it would be a nice experience in the park.
    the next line si the sympathy one about getting up at 6.30 to eat dry porridge,but you do this of course just to see people getting fit:confused:
    So did your race it or jog with her?

gerard65 is spot on and anyone who is running many years know who these people are.they run races where they know they will be top 5 or more importantly get a prize and maybe their name in the paper.

And Marchino I have ran for Ireland in the Ekiden Realys,European cross country and many more,many years ago.
    Your reply just shoes me that my post got to you,wasn't directed at anyone in particular but you replied:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Bit of a contradiction here,you ran the race because your gf is getting started and i knew it would be a nice experience in the park.
    the next line si the sympathy one about getting up at 6.30 to eat dry porridge,but you do this of course just to see people getting fit:confused:
    So did your race it or jog with her?

gerard65 is spot on and anyone who is running many years know who these people are.they run races where they know they will be top 5 or more importantly get a prize and maybe their name in the paper.

And Marchino I have ran for Ireland in the Ekiden Realys,European cross country and many more,many years ago.
    Your reply just shoes me that my post got to you,wasn't directed at anyone in particular but you replied:D
    I get your point, but its not only this race you see the same names wining most small races around town. I think that its not a black and white issue also, you may have someone looking for a race and this happens to fit in with their schedual so wouldnt have a problem with people doing the race in this case. But if your picking lower standard race just to get a race win etc thats another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Do you think that maybe this has all got a little silly ?

AmI the only one that thinks that this entire thread does not reflect well on this site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭oldrunner

Totally ridiculous discussion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not exactly the same kind of race, but one I did last week had someone turn up to race who was clearly miles ahead of the next best person in their category. Just by turning up and jogging that person would win and sure enough they were 4 minutes ahead over just a 5 mile distance. That meant this "fast" runner ended up taking the bottle of wine prize rather than the 2nd place finisher who has been winning the races in the rest of the series.

The rest of us were just fun runners compared to this person, but none of us had a problem getting beaten by them or being in the same race. That race that day just happened to fit in with their plans, so they turned up and raced.

They didn't enter just to be able to claim a cheap bottle of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

What's the dry porridge thing about? :confused:

Genuine question here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

robinph wrote: »
    They didn't enter just to be able to claim a cheap bottle of wine.
    Maybe she did, you would:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

gerard65 wrote: »
    Maybe she did, you would:D

True enough, I'd be delighted with winning a cheap bottle of plonk. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

I agree that this has got very silly; Saturday was a fun run and not a race.
    It was organised for everyone to get out and be active. The challenge was for everyone to complete it either by walking or running: there was no competition. A winner was never mentioned.
    I don’t think the company of elite runners bothered anybody who was there on Saturday. I’m new to all this and I enjoyed the fact I ran beside all standards.
    I found there was great moral support from everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

xebec wrote: »
    This was a great little race, well organised and well supported. Ran 37:53 (just over 16 minutes outside my PB) yesterday helping a friend around her first ever race, she was thrilled just to finish and under 40 minutes is pretty good with no training IMO.

I did not run this race I done the 5m mudbath in ALSAA instead. Reading xebec's post to me is what this race is all about, finishing 16 minutes outside your PB to help a friend cross the line...Well done

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement