Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Transformation 5k

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

robinph wrote: »
    They didn't enter just to be able to claim a cheap bottle of wine.

What? There was wine at this Operation transformation thing? Nobody told me there'd be wine, or else I would have entered myself. :mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovepig

clubcard wrote: »
    So how many ''club runners'' turned up for this event.in my opinion I think anyone who runs for a club who ran this should be ashamed of themselves.
    The event is trying to encourage unfit or people who aren't very active to get out andf get fit.
    For a club runner to line up in this would put alot of them off and feel the event isn't for them but the difference was this event really got all fitness levels out and im sure they enjoyed the day.
    I just think its an ego thing if any club runner ran this,maybe get on tv or tell their mates they came top 10.

i'm a 'club runner'. I ran it in 25 minutes- i'm not ashamed. i didn't do it for my ego and i didnt do it for the tv. as for the people who crossed the line, 1st, 2nd or 3rd ...etc. they didnt get any prizes..it was a free run/jog/walk in the park.

You really need to get over yourself, whoopee doo ...you once ran for Ireland and felt the need to post that up to. sounds to me like your the one with the ego and boasting issues.

Oh and by the way - Alot of competitive road races these days tend to be packed with fun runners - think of the frank duffy series, the BUPA 10Km (otherwise known as the national 10km- which is also televised)..perhaps we could get you to vet all those entires to make sure they are up to your accepted standard of running.

Oh and now when I think about it the winner of the mini marathon probably only does it to get on the tv and boast to their mates too!!! nothing to do with the fact that they love racing and train 6/7days a week.

This is my first time posting on this but i got really annoyed when i read your post..you really need to grow up and act like an adult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

As far as I am aware, there were only 3500 entrants for the OT Race, they had capped it at 5000. So dont think anybody missed out on a place.

Was a great atmosphere...and I think that we are missing out this crucial point. I don't see anybody who participated complaining about who was there or not!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lovepig

maria74 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, there were only 3500 entrants for the OT Race, they had capped it at 5000. So dont think anybody missed out on a place.

Was a great atmosphere...and I think that we are missing out this crucial point. I don't see anybody who participated complaining about who was there or not!:D

Totally agree Maria.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

first time posting but long time lurker on this, was told about it walking back from the donadea 10k by a boards.ie member (hello whoever ya are!). I only took up running only back last may and at the time I considered an elite runner anyone could finish a race at an anyway half decent time! Its horrible to see how bítchy this thread has gone. Mainly because the OT 5k is the type of race where most people who have no background in running simply give it a go and get hooked on it. The great thing I've found about road running is that it is a sport where literally anyone of any ability can enter without any sense of judgment from others whatsoever. You can chat to literally anyone randomly after a race and can soak up atmosphere even you have come there alone. To me there is no elite runner, simply those who finish ahead of you and to be honest people who give out about "elite" or "club" runners entering is just petty and childish. Seeing these athletes kitted out in singlets at the very front give me something to aspire and motivated me in the last nine months... I'll get there someday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

As a first timer, I thought this was the ideal race for other first timers, and especially those who are unfit and overweight like myself. I did see a few elites well on their way to the finish line when I was only about 1.5K past the start line. However this didn't really bother me. It was part depressing (as they were so much faster than me) but a little inspiring too (they're so fast, maybe I can eventually get faster too).

I don't really care if elites did this race or not. If someone elite entered it so they could brag that they won it, then I guess it's a bit sad, but from what I have seen, that is not the case.

The race was open to everyone, fit or fat and all those in between. I don't care if someone finished in 15 minutes or 50 minutes, as long as they had the right attitude then it doesn't really matter.

It felt very open and very welcoming. There was no athletic snobbery, everyone was pumped. If every race is like that, then I'd have no problem doing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

clubcard wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction here,you ran the race because your gf is getting started and i knew it would be a nice experience in the park.
    the next line si the sympathy one about getting up at 6.30 to eat dry porridge,but you do this of course just to see people getting fit:confused:
    So did your race it or jog with her?

gerard65 is spot on and anyone who is running many years know who these people are.they run races where they know they will be top 5 or more importantly get a prize and maybe their name in the paper.

And Marchino I have ran for Ireland in the Ekiden Realys,European cross country and many more,many years ago.
    Your reply just shoes me that my post got to you,wasn't directed at anyone in particular but you replied:D

Its actually people like you who should be ashamed of yourself for your nasty back handed comments. The race was open to everybody as a walk jog or run with no POTs or prizes or even results. Some people ran fast some slow. Not everybody is-sorry WAS...at your level and the SAME club runners can be seen at national races or marathons all the time. Not every race has to be an elite level event and somebody always has to win any race. Nobody ever has an idea of who is going to turn up anyway. I despise this elite crap and the funny thing is the same club runners are supporting races on a regular basis.Congrats to EVERYBODY who did this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Right folks I am gonna close this thread as it has run its course i think and keeping it open is just inviting more of a b^%ching session. Congrats to all who took part in the race and hope it has inspired a few to keep up there running and also posting (seeing alot of first time posters here). Also to the club members who took part. Clubs are made of a wide variety of members with wide ranging abilities so to anyone reading this thread if you enjoyed the race and are looking to continue it dont feel that you are not "fast" enough to join one. Most clubs have more than enough people of all levels that can accomodate those from beginner to naturally talented so dont be afraid to look into that avenue. If anyone feels there is more that can be got from this point other than ranting feel free to PM me and I am more than willing to hear your point and re open if it is valid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement