Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counterpicking and other IoL discussion stuff.

Options
  • 31-01-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭

It'd be impossible I think.

Like, someone who's decent with Guile could auto eliminate my chances by forcing me to pick someone else.

And even in that case, who's claim to the character gets priority?

I don't think a tournament like this could be run in a serious way at all, so everyone would have to go at it with "Just a bit of fun" attitude. FT3 at most, probably no recording, definitely no commentary.

In that regard, it would be pointless to let the top seeded players pick first, since you're only handicapping the weak, and after the group stages are over it would be more or less a regular tournament.

If you did it "Worse player picks first" it could be pretty funny to have a tournament where all the best players are left with the worst characters, and one of them ends up winning anyway (although I'm sure Dreddy or Hound could do that pretty easily).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭prenelf

If I don't get Ryu im picking dan. :(

We could have qualifier matches for each character, but that would take ages...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

It'd be impossible I think.

Like, someone who's decent with Guile could auto eliminate my chances by forcing me to pick someone else.

And even in that case, who's claim to the character gets priority?

Mine..... always!

prenelf wrote: »
    If I don't get Ryu im picking dan. :(

We could have qualifier matches for each character, but that would take ages...:confused:

Just to be clear - whilst these ideas floating around are ok, they are not the case for this tournament.

This one will be character locked but no rules on who you select, although I would consider banning guile from the tournament. If I can get a second to that motion, I will consider it ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Not wanting to derail Ayjay's thread for anyone jumping in towards the end, "Strictly one character per tournament" talk is just a "What if" discussion for the fun of it.

The actual tournament has no such crazy restriction.

Edit: Haha, posted at the same exact minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

ayjayirl wrote: »
    Just to be clear - whilst these ideas floating around are ok, they are not the case for this tournament.

This one will be character locked but no rules on who you select, although I would consider banning guile from the tournament. If I can get a second to that motion, I will consider it ;).

What have I started.... :D

Also /seconded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

bagsy chunli

What have I started.... :D

Just to get them out of the way, also worth considering:
    • Random Select Tournament
    • All Dan Tournament
    • One Button Only Tournament (change characters as much as you like, but your button is locked)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Just to get them out of the way, also worth considering:
    • Random Select Tournament
    • All Dan Tournament
    • One Button Only Tournament (change characters as much as you like, but your button is locked)

We've had similar endless lobbies, and to be honest they get really boring really fast.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

gonna split this off when I get home.

You guys have no idea how annoying it is trying to gather a list of names from a thread with chat in it :D

Placebo wrote: »
    bagsy chunli

Yoink!

• Advertisement

From now on all entrants will be tournamising in this tournament.

What a word!

You guys have no idea how annoying it is trying to gather a list of names from a thread with chat in it :D

Sorry about the tangent!

Seems like adding a Yes/No poll is a good way to grab a list of names, from the Inferno thread "Yes" results for example:

ayjayirl, BourketheJerk, chopperbyrne, DarkTalant, Doctor DooM, Doyler01, Dreddybajs, Fergus_, FoamyMushroom, K.O.Kiki, Mickles_86, pdbhp, Placebo, prenelf, Ry, Sairus, Speed Boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Character lock = :cool:

Every tourney should be character locked imo. Counter picking in my eyes is low and a form of cheating.

But hey no-one does that here anyway right...RIGHT? :(

Whoa i gotta catch up to the conversation sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Character lock = :cool:

Every tourney should be character locked imo. Counter picking in my eyes is low and a form of cheating.

But hey no-one does that here anyway right...RIGHT? :(

i'll happily counterpick all day, how is selecting a different character cheating? :pac:

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    i'll happily counterpick all day, how is selecting a different character cheating? :pac:

Because your selection of that character is based on your opponents character's weakness and not on ones preferred character or belief in ones skill (and counter picking happens most often when a person is initially beaten). May not be specifically cheating but anyone that has a sense of sportsmanship would find the action...distasteful :pac:

I play bison, used to play blanka, my best mate plays gief, since bison is my guy ill pick him against gief regardless, as if i picked blanka and won it'd feel like a hollow victory.

Bring on character lock evo japan!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

How does being confident enough to play different characters at tournament level show that you don't have belief in your own skill?

If you had confidence in your skill with your main character you wouldnt feel the need to pick another just bcos you lost the first match.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

So if your opponent happens to be using a character that gives you a bad matchup, you should just grin and bear it?

If you're capable of picking up multiple characters to cover your bad matchups, then you deserve any win you get through counter picking.

Robbknoll wrote: »
    Because your selection of that character is based on your opponents character's weakness and not on ones preferred character or belief in ones skill (and counter picking happens most often when a person is initially beaten). May not be specifically cheating but anyone that has a sense of sportsmanship would find the action...distasteful :pac:

I play bison, used to play blanka, my best mate plays gief, since bison is my guy ill pick him against gief regardless, as if i picked blanka and won it'd feel like a hollow victory.

Bring on character lock evo japan!!!

scrub talk! Pick who you like its player v player. Not character v character

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

Placebo wrote: »
    bagsy chunli
    I'd bag her.

DEM THIGHS.

• Advertisement

Hit the nail on head there its player vs player. Go level up ye're bad match ups and ye wouldnt have to resort to scrub tactics ;)

Why is this online tourney character lock anyway if people seem to like the idea of counter picking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yeah screw bad matchups, all about the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Counter picking is for winners

Only scrubs play to win!

...wait

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Speed Boat

Counter picking is fine. The game has too many characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Real men counter pick

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I don't have a problem with counterpicking. But I don't at this time feel the need to do it.

If someones main happens to have whats considered a good match up against my main so be it, not my opponents fault that the match up is like that he didn't design the game.

As for switching to a secondary deliberately to counter x charcter you still have to put the time in to learn the secondary, if your opponent is half way decent with the character you want to counterpick. Chances are he will be familar with his bad match ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HandiCapanda

I'd be with dreddy on this.

If it takes THAT long to get good with your main how much input is required to be competent with more than 1 character.

Then again i'm a player without a true main. I haven't counterpicked but if i felt my choice of character could compete with another player's main, I wouldn't feel bad choosing them. It's up to them to put in the necessary work to either get good at their bad matches or have a substitute ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll choose a different character if I'm not feeling confident about a particular matchup.

At the same time, I also understand that it sets me up to be counter-picked at a later stage.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    Real men counter pick

Theres no such thing as real men these days. All with their hair and womens soccer :confused:

Advertisement