Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane: If someone took my Irish place I'd walk away

• 01-02-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭

‘I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team,’ he said. ‘It is all about now and I have said before if I didn’t play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away.’

I think thats a pathetic attitude.

So if any striker manages to get in a run of form which surpasses Keane (as Doyle, Long, Leon Best have at the moment) then Keane will walk away?

Is that supposed to be some sort of a threat to Trap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Instead of walking, i would say he would run around in circles and wave his arms in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Watch the door doesn't hit your ass on the way out, Robbie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Might as well just withdraw from UEFA and FIFA altogether if Robbie Keane leaves, there'd be no point in going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Whats the source?

If its true it is a rubbish attitude to have and even more so because he is the captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

He's some plonker. The captain should lead from example. Looks like he's lost his hunger since the pool debacle. Hopefully he gets it back and starts performing well as west ham. Still think he could do a job for a top 10 side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

MOG7 wrote: »
    Whats the source?

If its true it is a rubbish attitude to have and even more so because he is the captain.
    rte news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Bad attitude to have alright. Seems to think he's to good to play for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Am I the only one who thinks this has been picked up the wrong way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

noodler wrote: »
    I think thats a pathetic attitude.

So if any striker manages to get in a run of form which surpasses Keane (as Doyle, Long, Leon Best have at the moment) then Keane will walk away?

Is that supposed to be some sort of a threat to Trap?

think he means that if he got dropped by ireland he would have walked away from spurs.

• Advertisement

Rooney10 wrote: »
    No, I'd like to read it or hear it for myself before I'll make a comment on it. Loads jumping in here having a go without even a link being put up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Its an excuse to abuse our greatest ever striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, I'd like to read it or hear it for myself before I'll make a comment on it. Loads jumping in here having a go without even a link being put up.

:)

Yeah or maybe some people just watch the RTE news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

I saw it and don't think he meant it like that..Walk away as ok i have lost my place concentrate on club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Are you people kidding?

The meaning was clear. He'd walk away from the Irish team like a petulant child if he didn't get in the first XI. What an utter disgrace that man is. How disrespectful to the manager and his fellow Irish internationals. It's the same attitude that meant Brian Kerr wasn't shown the respect he deserved, it's the same attitude that saw him strut into The Late Late Show studios like an indignant peacock railing against the massive injustice of actually being criticised for poor performances, it's the same attitude that told Harry Redknapp he had to get rid of him.

He should be shown the door by Trappatoni. Sure, he'll bang in 4 against the Faroe Islands or Andorra but he's a bottler in the big games yet he thinks ranks somewhere between Pele and Maradona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jesus this board really hates Robbie Keane. You could take that statement more than one way when quoted out of context, none if them as bad as the way ye are taking it.
    He should be shown the door by Trappatoni. Sure, he'll bang in 4 against the Faroe Islands or Andorra but he's a bottler in the big games yet he thinks ranks somewhere between Pele and Maradona.

Stop talking sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

This is such a load of fecal matter from the members of Boards, as usual in cases regarding Robbie Keane.

I really think a lot of people are seeing what they want to see regarding these "comments".. He clearly didn't say what the vast majority of you are attributing to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's a link to it:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/874278/robbie-keane:-i've-got-nothing-to-lose-with-west-ham-?cc=5739

No surprise the Keane hate mob around here are seizing on this. I interpret it to mean that in the event he becomes a liability to the international team he will stand aside and let others take up the mantle while he would concentrate on club football. This is what most players do to get a few extra years out of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Here's a link to it:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/874278/robbie-keane:-i've-got-nothing-to-lose-with-west-ham-?cc=5739

No surprise the Keane hate mob around here are seizing on this. I interpret it to mean that in the event he becomes a liability to the international team he will stand aside and let others take up the mantle while he would concentrate on club football. This is what most players do to get a few extra years out of their career.

Exactly, pretty sure you're the only you has spoken sense on the issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Here's a link to it:

this is also how i would interpret it.

• Advertisement

Here's a link to it:

What bollox. That's not even remotely close to what he said. It wasn't even implied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus this board really hates Robbie Keane. You could take that statement more than one way when quoted out of context, none if them as bad as the way ye are taking it.
    Well i can only talk for myself and i don't hate Robbie. He's the best striker Ireland has ever had, our top goalscorer and still a very important member of our team - i just think that comments like that are not needed and makes him look like a child who lost his dummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What bollox. That's not even remotely close to what he said. It wasn't even implied.

Reporter: "In terms of your international career Robbie, there's a lot of competition for your spot in the team right now so was this move a way of fending off that competition?"

Keane: "I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team. It is all about now and I have said before if I didn't play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away."

If the interview was conducted along the lines of the above then it is a perfectly innocent response. He'd be saying if I became a liability to the team then I would gladly stand aside.

As I said those who hate on him have seized on this quote without even knowing the context in which the question was asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

I think the key words here is WALK AWAY.

We all know what it means, i haven't a bad word to say against Robbie and never have, i think he has been a fantastic servant to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

noodler wrote: »
    Keane: If someone took my Irish place I'd walk away

Expect footage of him walking his dog tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Talk about over-reaction?

Why is our record scorer I hated so much?

I saw the clip on RTE and no thought entered my had that came anyway near the posts here.

Definitely took that he meant if he was dropped that he wouldn't hold it against the team/coach and would just carry on with club career.

I think that is a very honest and realistic viewpoint as he is certainly in the twilight of his career at international level.

Cannot understand the Robbie hate, never let the country down, scored some cracking goals, never caused any manager of Ireland a problem regarding attitude etc.....give the guy a break!

Now don't get me started on his wife though.....she annoys me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

murpho999 wrote: »

I saw the clip on RTE and no thought entered my had that came anyway near the posts here.

Definitely took that he meant if he was dropped that he wouldn't hold it against the team/coach and would just carry on with club career.

I think that is a very honest and realistic viewpoint as he is certainly in the twilight of his career at international level.

Cannot understand the Robbie hate, never let the country down, scored some cracking goals, never caused any manager of Ireland a problem regarding attitude etc.....give the guy a break!

Probably because he comes across as a bit of a clown.

"I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team,'' he said. "It is all about now and I have said before if I didn't play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away.''

Its perfectly possible to appreciate all he has done with Ireland and still interpret that comment as petulant, egotistical crap.

If someone new came in I would walk away? I have no idea how people interpret that as anything other then I wouldn't fight for my place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I'd like to think he ment that he wouldn't be egotistical enough to do a David Beckham and that he'd know when the time is right to walk away. That way doing whats best for the team. Reading the quote though I'm just not so sure that it's the case and Robbie does sound very petulant in that response.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    To be honest I'd like to think he ment that he wouldn't be egotistical enough to do a David Beckham and that he'd know when the time is right to walk away. That way doing whats best for the team. Reading the quote though I'm just not so sure that it's the case and Robbie does sound very petulant in that response.

To be honest, my view is you show up as long as the manager wants you.

I have nothing but admiration for Kilbane, Savage, Weir and Beckham who decided they would always be there if their country need them.

Not sure I'd descirbe Beckham making himself available egotistical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I bet the OPs a mulla... Robbie Keane isnt the smartest of lads but he wouldnt of been so stupid to say that, even if he thought that.:rolleyes:

I bet the OPs a mulla
    Whats a mulla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Even if he did "walk away" he wouldnt stay away for long.Kevin Doyle needs someone to play up there with and I dont think Best is good enough and Shane Long isn't quite there yet.Stokes doesnt seem to get a look in either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

he's a bottler in the big games

Spain, Germany, Italy, France and Holland in either qualifiers or finals tournaments not big enough for you?

Jog on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

murpho999 wrote: »

have you never heard of irish begrudgery?

• Advertisement

I bet the OPs a mulla... Robbie Keane isnt the smartest of lads but he wouldnt of been so stupid to say that, even if he thought that.:rolleyes:

Excuse me?

You mean you haven't even read the quote or watched the press conference?

And you are calling me a mulla?

GTFO in fairness.

EDIT: Any Liverpool / Ireland fan here will vouch that I am far from Keane's biggest critic. If I had a euro for everytime I listed the goals he scored in the last campaign or that he wasn't given a fair shout at Liverpool...

Any attempt to write off criticism of these crazy comments as Irish begrudgery or hatred of Keane in particular isn't really based in reality (at least not in my case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

WTF is a mulla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What is it with Keanes and walking away?

/runs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Its threads like this that make me glad Thiery Henry did what he did, best fans in the world my boll*x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Why wait to lose your place Rob, do us all a favour and walk now. Mister "i need ten chances to score one goal" Keane.

• Advertisement

Its threads like this that make me glad Thiery Henry did what he did, best fans in the world my boll*x
    Thanks for that. Very nice indeed. I'm not trashing Keane here and there are only 41 posts in the thread right now. Out of those I'd say there are about 12 to 14 people giving out if even that many.

Every country has its clowns and haters. You come across as a bitter little pill with that comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

grenache wrote: »
    Why wait to lose your place Rob, do us all a favour and walk now. Mister "i need ten chances to score one goal" Keane.

So how many chances then has every other single striker that has played for this country needed?? Seriously the amount of clueless begrudgery on here is pitifull and embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Reporter: "In terms of your international career Robbie, there's a lot of competition for your spot in the team right now so was this move a way of fending off that competition?"

Keane: "I have not really worried or thought about my position with the Ireland team. It is all about now and I have said before if I didn't play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away."

If the interview was conducted along the lines of the above then it is a perfectly innocent response. He'd be saying if I became a liability to the team then I would gladly stand aside.

As I said those who hate on him have seized on this quote without even knowing the context in which the question was asked.

that strikes me as someone who knows hes always gonna get his game for ireland,but if someone better comes along his ego cant handle it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

maybe he meant that if his house got stolen, he would walk away.
    sure he would have to, he would have no house!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

So how many chances then has every other single striker that has played for this country needed?? Seriously the amount of clueless begrudgery on here is pitifull and embarrassing
    how many of our other strikers actually find themselves in useless positions and run away from goal. He has always someone to do the donkey work for him - Quinn, doherty, Doyle. If you actually watch him in a game, the amount of idiotic and aimless runs he makes is unmatched. Funny how when whenever someone criticises a member of the national team, its always put down to "begrudgery" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

flahavaj wrote: »

Stop talking sh*te.
    Sútalún wrote: »
    This is such a load of fecal matter from the members of Boards, as usual in cases regarding Robbie Keane.

I really think a lot of people are seeing what they want to see regarding these "comments".. He clearly didn't say what the vast majority of you are attributing to him.

This forum should be ****ed into a fiery abyss to be honest. Haters gonna hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

You feel that way yet still post rather frequently. Must be some sort of cocaine effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

If he's pants at West Ham, we should consider dropping him and giving Shane Long a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Robbie certainly needs Premiership play to regain his sharpness;he could also work on expressing clearly what he feels.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I take the opposite view, the man clearly stated he'd take his ball and go home if he wasn't picked yet we have any number of posters inventing all kinds of altruistic motives behind this statement when the meaning was clear. "If I didn't play for Ireland and someone else came in, I have always said I would walk away".

People certainly are biased when it comes to Robbie Keane but not in the way you think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement