Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane: If someone took my Irish place I'd walk away

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Never got the Robbie Keane hate. A complete legend for this country. Sad reflection on the modern supporter he's so hated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

murpho999 wrote: »
    Talk about over-reaction?

Why is our record scorer I hated so much?

I saw the clip on RTE and no thought entered my had that came anyway near the posts here.

Definitely took that he meant if he was dropped that he wouldn't hold it against the team/coach and would just carry on with club career.

I think that is a very honest and realistic viewpoint as he is certainly in the twilight of his career at international level.

Cannot understand the Robbie hate, never let the country down, scored some cracking goals, never caused any manager of Ireland a problem regarding attitude etc.....give the guy a break!

Now don't get me started on his wife though.....she annoys me!

The constant flapping of his arms at the ref instead of trying to get the ball ( which is what Kevin Doyle tries to do, Doyle seems to be of the opinion that if the ref is going to give him a free he will and standing there looking like a windmill won't help get him one ) Perhaps its the fact that his record goal scoring has been slightly easy in certain contexts. 17 of the 45 goals against powerhouses like Malta, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Albania, Cyprus, faroe Islands, San Marino, Algeria and Andorra. Perhaps its because 17 goals were in friendlies, hardly the coal face of tough International football. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Whether or not you interpret his comment as being a noble 'I'll step aside' comment or 'I will quit as a sulky barsteward' one, does it not just imply either way that he wouldn't fight for his place? That is, someone comes in, does the job a bit better and gets the place, should that not motivate someone to improve their game and get the place back? Surely it would be the same in any job. Of course there would be a time and place to acknowledge that it's not going to happen and THEN walk away, but to say he'd just walk away without indicating he would try to fight back for the place first doesn't come across to me as very positive.And of course there is a certain amount of begrudgery in some of these comments and some are a touch too vehement perhaps, but to dismiss all criticisms as unwarranted, begrudging or crazy is blind and unfair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Mister men wrote: »
    Never got the Robbie Keane hate. A complete legend for this country. Sad reflection on the modern supporter he's so hated.

I don’t know if he is 'hated' that’s a bit strong, disliked for his spoilt brat attitude on this occasion yes, but hate has no place in Irish sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes disliked,

i dislike him because he's comes across as a self centred big head

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What exactly does "fight for your place" mean? How does an international player fight for his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

On the possibility of losing his place on the Irish team,Robbie could have said in a positive manner that he would compete to regain that position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Xavi6 wrote: »
    You feel that way yet still post rather frequently. Must be some sort of cocaine effect.

If I found a better one, I'd be there. It's all relative. But being the best in relative terms doesn't make you good in absolute terms. Arise boards.ie soccer forum - King of the Lepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If there was ever an illustration of the utter, utter cluelessness of the average Irish football fan and Boards.ie "soccer" poster, this thread is it.

Cringeworthy.

• Advertisement

What exactly does "fight for your place" mean? How does an international player fight for his place?

By proving himself at club level like everyone else does?

CiaranC wrote: »
    If there was ever an illustration of the utter, utter cluelessness of the average Irish football fan and Boards.ie "soccer" poster, this thread is it.

Cringeworthy.

So if somebody holds a different opinion to you they are clueless?? I don't agree with your opinion, but I don't think you are clueless, I think you are entitled to your opinion and am open to persuasion as to why that is the right opinion. Calling everyone that disagrees with you clueless suggests a dearth of argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This forum should be ****ed into a fiery abyss to be honest. Haters gonna hate.

Yeah there's not enough off topic stupid pictures posted here these days. It's gone to pot.:p

On topic , Bad attitude from keane but it does reinforce my opinion that he thinks he is way better than he is, I believe all the big money moves went to his head and he has never fulfilled the early potential he showed. He could go as far as I'm concerened, Doyle is amuch better player imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Muppet wrote: »
    Doyle is amuch better player imo.

Agreed - his all round play is miles better than Keanes but I think he needs to poach more goals, the only part of his game that's weak imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If I found a better one, I'd be there. It's all relative. But being the best in relative terms doesn't make you good in absolute terms. Arise boards.ie soccer forum - King of the Lepers.

This is nothing but holier-than-thou garbage and fairly insulting tbh.

If you're waiting to come across something better then fine, don't let the door hit you etc., but while you're hanging around it'd be a curtesy not to belittle the members who put a lot into it and treat it as a community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

, Doyle is amuch better player imo.

Yes a striker who doesnt score goals that is exactly what we need :rolleyes: They complement each other perfectly well and Irelands problems are not upfront

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

lyverbird1 wrote: »

As Stuart Pearce once said you club form gets you in to the international side , your international form keeps you in it

Yes a striker who doesnt score goals that is exactly what we need :rolleyes: They complement each other perfectly well and Irelands problems are not upfront

Could you remind me when is the last time Keane scored for us?

Keane's a waste of space , has been for years. Doyle is a much better player.

Could you remind me when is the last time Keane scored for us?

Keane's a waste of space , has been for years. Doyle is a much better player.

lol just what the ignore button was invented for, seriously omg!

I like Doyle as player, hes honest and trys he's heart out but he simply does not score enough goals to be considered anything like a better player than Robbie Keane, for the record Doyle has scored against SanMarino, Wales, Cyprus, Georgia, Slovakia x2, Ecuador, Paraguay and Andorra, hardly backs up your claim now does it.

I like Doyle as player, hes honest and trys he's heart out but he simply does not score enough goals to be considered anything like a better player than Robbie Keane, for the record Doyle has scored against SanMarino, Wales, Cyprus, Georgia, Slovakia x2, Ecuador, Paraguay and Andorra, hardly backs up your claim now does it.

Ahhhh how many of Robbies goals have been against shít teams??

Doyle gets goals - he should be getting more I'll have no problem admitting that, but overall if you compare every facet of their games - Doyle comes out on top for me

In fairness, its hard for him to score when Keane is off faffing round the place with the ball until he loses it and starts flapping at the ref for a free :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Kevin Doyle's overall play contributes to the few goals we have got recently, without him we'd have nothing up front as Robbie's been pretty useless for a good while.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Ahhhh how many of Robbies goals have been against shít teams??

Doyle gets goals - he should be getting more I'll have no problem admitting that, but overall if you compare every facet of their games - Doyle comes out on top for me

Well since Doyle scored hes first goal for Ireland (now has 9) Keane has scored 16, including 6 in the World Cup qualification campaign and two in this Euro campaign, Italy, France and Russia been the most high profile opponents he has scored against.

The claim that Robbie has only scored against sh*t teams is an absolute myth with no basis in fact whatsoever. He has scored against Germany, Holand, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Russia and Spain - who else have we played he actually hasnt scored against?

In fairness, its hard for him to score when Keane is off faffing round the place with the ball until he loses it and starts flapping at the ref for a free :-)

Doyle has never been a prolific goalscorer at any meaningfull level so to blame Robbie is redicolous tbh, Id like to see any striker play well infront of that excuse we have for a midfield but yet everyone seems to lay the blame on our all time record goalscorer who happens to have over 100 caps for hes country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Its an excuse to abuse our greatest ever striker.

you mean our highest scorer ever, unless you think Robbie is a better player than were the likes of Frank Stapleton/John Aldridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The claim that Robbie has only scored against sh*t teams is an absolute myth with no basis in fact whatsoever. He has scored against Germany, Holand, Italy, France, Czech Republic, Russia and Spain - who else have we played he actually hasnt scored against?

Its not a myth. In 15 qualifiers versus Slovakia, Czechs, Portugal, Swiss, Germans & bulgarians he is yet to bag a goal.

Hes only scored against the czechs in friendlies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

To all those people defending Robbie. I don't think you should bother, just let the haters have their say and when there is no response then the thread will die.

Its embarrassing to see this thread on an Irish internet site. It embarrassing to read what all these haters have to say.

Did you even ready my post before replying :confused: - I never claimed that Robbie Keane has only scored against shíte teams.

You claimed Doyle has scored against lesser teams and my point was that so has Keane...the fact is it's irrelevant really

To be honest, I feel a little sorry for Robbie - at one point he was transferring to his boyhood club for a huge amount and the footballing world seemed at his feet. He'd proven himself at club and international level and it really seemed that he was destined for greater things but it all fell apart when he didn't cut it at Liverpool. Maybe he should have been given longer to get it together but he did himself no favours by sulking when he left and said he wouldn't accept his winner's medal if they won the League (stop sniggering at the back, they came close!). Perhaps he is just not good at expressing himself, but I think there would be fewer haters out there if he had been a bit more gracious when things didn't go his way. He has undoubtedly done well for his country, sad that his career as a whole hasn't been what it should have been...

PaulieC wrote: »
    Did you even ready my post before replying :confused: - I never claimed that Robbie Keane has only scored against shíte teams.

You claimed Doyle has scored against lesser teams and my point was that so has Keane...the fact is it's irrelevant really

No no, now let me break it down very simply for you, Doyle has only scored against lesser teams Robbie Keane has scored against the best teams in the world and in competitive games, but I think I will take eagle eyes advice and let the haters hate!

This is nothing but holier-than-thou garbage and fairly insulting tbh.

If you're waiting to come across something better then fine, don't let the door hit you etc., but while you're hanging around it'd be a curtesy not to belittle the members who put a lot into it and treat it as a community.

I don't give a **** if you feel insulted. You shouldn't be worried about my opinions either.

It is also worth noting that there has been little or nothing in the way of community orientated stuff emanating from this place over the past year or so...

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    To all those people defending Robbie. I don't think you should bother, just let the haters have their say and when there is no response then the thread will die.

Its embarrassing to see this thread on an Irish internet site. It embarrassing to read what all these haters have to say.

Surely that's a basic requirement of his day job?

Surely that's a basic requirement of his day job?

Absolutely. And as club form is most often the marker for whether or not a player has the current form to play for their country, surely by improving club form, the player has a better chance of being selected for their country?

No no, now let me break it down very simply for you, Doyle has only scored against lesser teams Robbie Keane has scored against the best teams in the world and in competitive games, but I think I will take eagle eyes advice and let the haters hate!

Be more patronising why don't you!

I'm not a hater of Robbie, I think his scoring record at international & club level speaks for itself.

The original point I was making was - if I had a choice of who I'd purchase for the club I support right now I'd choose Doyle - his overall play is better, he's stronger on the ball, his link play is better and he still does get goals - maybe not as many as Robbie but he definitely sets up more and is involved more as far as I'm concerned.

There's a difference between haters hating and people having a differing opinion to your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don`t know which is worse:

The idiots using his spoilt brat words to portray him as crap or the idiots with their haters gonna hate crap.

Great player, esential to Ireland but not above damning criticism for pledging to throw his toys out of the pram if Trap has the nerve not to select him after 6 months sitting on his club bench whilst Shane Long is on fire.

Absolutely. And as club form is most often the marker for whether or not a player has the current form to play for their country, surely by improving club form, the player has a better chance of being selected for their country?

So effectively the best way to get picked for international duty is to announce your international retirement so you can concentrate on your club career :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The comments could be interpreted either way. Either he was saying that he won't over stay his welcome or that he won't put up with being dropped.

The haters are going to read it as the negative possibility and have yet another reason to dislike him. But the haters are always looking for an excuse. It's pathetic.

He has been nothing but a good servant to the national team, has scored countless important goals and always has had the right attitude. But there are still clueless eejits who will claim that he's a bottler or that his record is somehow not valid, or will look for the bad angle in every little thing that he says and does.

Watching the interview yesterday he looked like a very frustrated individual. He's been forced out of Spurs and has ended up at one of the worst clubs in the PL. It's yet another club for him and yet another extremely unfavourable situation for him.

Edit: @ noodler: I do believe you when you say you're not a hater. If you're not happy with these comments he's made you might be best waiting to see if his actions in future back up what you think his words meant.

Can we not discuss what he said without wandering into tangents about his history for Ireland.

As a Keane fan, supporter, apologist whatever... I can not interpret those comments in anyway than I described in the OP.

As did the majority of the media by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im no fan of Robbie Keane as a person but he has been a great player for Ireland and a good club player. My interpretation of what he said was if he was benched and benched for a good while then he will retire, rather than a sensationalist way of if he is dropped once he will retire. I dont think he was malicious in what he said despite the way it sounded. The chap comes across as a complete dipso and after hearing him and his missus in interviews i doubt they discuss the middle east peace process around the dinner table. I remember one press conference he was asked if he was worried about his lack of goals and he replied "I couldnt be bothered". The chap is just stupid in fairness to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I don't give a **** if you feel insulted. You shouldn't be worried about my opinions either.

It is also worth noting that there has been little or nothing in the way of community orientated stuff emanating from this place over the past year or so...

Don't worry, I won't lose any sleep over your opinions.

And as for community orientated stuff, speak for yourself. Plenty of RL friends in here, and moreover RL friends because of here.

Anyway, to keep this some way on topic, I've glanced over the comments a few times today and to be honest I think it's a little ambiguous - maybe it was clearer one way or the other if you watched the interview, I haven't seen it. I agree with Pro F., it seems open to interpretation. But given the service Robbie has given to us I think he deserves the benefit of any doubt - I don't see what he has done in his Ireland career to be so divisive.

noodler wrote: »
    Can we not discuss what he said without wandering into tangents about his history for Ireland.

As a Keane fan, supporter, apologist whatever... I can not interpret those comments in anyway than I described in the OP.

lol cos there's no story unless you take it that way, do you really take everything in the media at face value??

Pauleta wrote: »
    Im no fan of Robbie Keane as a person
    Do you know him?

Do you know him?

Course he does sure he saw him on the late late once :p

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Looks like his words have been twisted to make a sensationalist headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bigger problems in this Irish side than Robbie at the moment but he's on the decline. Great servant to Ireland but we're going to be complaining more and more about him before the end of the current qualification group.

The hated is over-exaggerated at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I think we as a nation demand honesty as numero uno when it comes to players. It is why we don't come down too hard on honest players if they are limited, like Kilbane. Robbie doesn't do himself any favours here when he attempts to con the referees into giving him free kicks, or waves the arms in the air or slams them into the ground to give the impression that he has been cheated out of possession. This behaviour is not unknown to the EPL but we don't like our lads to be doing that ( why do some posters give out about him doing it, yet have no hassles with their own club's players diving / moaning at the ref etc... ? ).

Robbie Keane is definitely one of the best strikers we've ever had - he's not in the league of Drogba / Torres / Villa etc... but he could have been. He burst on the scene as a fearless 17 year old against Argentina. He just gives the impression that instead of spending time on the training pitch he wasted it, content with the level he had attained.

He wasn't given a fair run of it at Liverpool IMO, but that night when they were away to Athletico Madrid and Steven Gerard worked his bollox off to get a cross in only for Robbie to attempt something stupid and miss a glorious chance was unforgivable.

A big element of fear has crept into Robbie's game - fear of missing chances. This is why he tries to be elaborate. Why would anybody give out about him missing a half chance? When he's through on goal, he'll often try and chip the keeper, because if you miss that, then it wasn't a clear cut chance, whereas if you try to finish normally and miss, it is a glorious opportunity missed.

Henry's handball should never have happened - there were more than enough chances to have us through before the 90 minutes were up, not all Keane's misses either.

Robbie hasn't been as good as he could have been, but he has still been one of the best for us, and I thank him for that. I will wish him well in the Irish shirt, but I really wish he would man up and quit the silly behaviour.

As for the comments, I would take them with a pinch of salt.

noodler wrote: »

lol cos there's no story unless you take it that way, do you really take everything in the media at face value??

LMAO. Theres always one who will select one piece of text and try to say it was my entire argument.

I think its quite clear my points weren't based on the media reports.

Oh Noes!!!!! Please not the ignore button I don't think I could handle that.:eek:
    eagle eye wrote: »

So anyone that criticises a player is a hater now, When did that happen?

So because he's irish we should have a blinkered view of his abilities? I though that was only an english disease, obviously not. He's a decent player and deserves his place in the team but he's no world beater, never has been.

He's a decent player and deserves his place in the team but he's no world beater, never has been.
    Heres a newsflash for you chief, Ireland hasnt produced a "world beater" in a very long time, and now that the Brits are no longer developing our players for us, most probably never will again.

I think some of you need to pull your heads out of your EPL obsessed arses and develop a sense of perspective. The lad went from Crumlin United to 200+ club goals at the highest level of football over 10+ years, won the U19 European Championship, went to the World Cup, captained and is top scorer for his country by a country mile.

How and when do you expect these "world beaters" to emerge? Not all football is like premiership top four football or your game of FIFA 11. Maybe some of you mouthbreathers should crawl back into your superthreads and get back to worshipping whatever 100 million pound striker is banging them in this month.

Heres a newsflash for you chief, Ireland hasnt produced a "world beater" in a very long time, and now that the Brits are no longer developing our players for us, most probably never will again.

I think some of you need to pull your heads out of your EPL obsessed arses and develop a sense of perspective. The lad went from Crumlin United to 200+ goals at the highest level of football over 10+ years, won the U19 European Championship, went to the World Cup, captained and is top scorer for his country by a country mile.

How and when do you expect these "world beaters" to emerge? Not all football is like premiership top four football or your game of FIFA 11. Maybe some of you mouthbreathers should crawl back into your superthreads and get back to worshipping whatever 100 million pound striker is banging them in this month.

Jesus the internet warriors are out in force this evening.

Suppose it depends on the quality of football your used to watching, No doubt he would be world class compared to the rest of Crumlin United, chief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement