Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane: If someone took my Irish place I'd walk away

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

problem-officer-meme-m2956.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Goal for Bob. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

keano ya legend ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

He just scored for West Ham - nice! First game and he scores...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Granted the original Quote was takien out of context, still don't like him.

Don't think of him much as a footballer....

You only have to look at the strikers we have had throughout while he has been playing, and even now, to see how a most average of striker would have bagged a similar amount of goals : /

I just hate him, granted alot of it is from personal experience I just have no time for him or his fmaily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

TheDoc wrote: »

You only have to look at the strikers we have had throughout while he has been playing, and even now, to see how a most average of striker would have bagged a similar amount of goals : /

I just hate him, granted alot of it is from personal experience I just have no time for him or his fmaily

Think he has more goals than Raul the number he has scored at international level is bizarre he's done the business for us in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How so??

Anyway, great to see him score on his debut (or it will be when MOTD get round to showing the Blackpool game).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Whether you like him personally or not, he has a fantastic international record. One that is superior to many top strikers in better international teams.

The man should be a national hero.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this has been picked up the wrong way?

Yeah. I think he means it in away that if someone came in who was better than he was he would step out of the way to give younger talent a chance to shine.

Maybe I'm wrong tho, he could mean it in the sissy girl way also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

david healy has scored a lot of international goals and against big teams doesnt make him a great player,keane has achieved nothing at club level and gets fooked around by clubs after a few years.What really annoys me is this "untouchable keano" idea,why cant we criticise him?and theres no "myth" about his goals he has scored a lot of goals against weaker opposition and at 1 point hadnt scored a competitive international goal in 2-3 years???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

david healy has scored a lot of international goals and against big teams doesnt make him a great player,keane has achieved nothing at club level and gets fooked around by clubs after a few years.What really annoys me is this "untouchable keano" idea,why cant we criticise him?and theres no "myth" about his goals he has scored a lot of goals against weaker opposition and at 1 point hadnt scored a competitive international goal in 2-3 years???

You are aware that Keane has scored a significant amount of goals in the premier league aswell, right?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You are aware that Keane has scored a significant amount of goals in the premier league aswell, right?

not that many for the great player we keep hearing about. 122 over 12 years yeh amazing:rolleyes:

not that many for the great player we keep hearing about. 122 over 12 years yeh amazing:rolleyes:

What Irish striker was better then, Mick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Or 11th all time with some more years to come. Yeah, rubbish that lad. :rolleyes:

What Irish striker was better then, Mick?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Or 11th all time with some more years to come. Yeah, rubbish that lad. :rolleyes:

im not denying hes the best striker we've ever had im arguing that hes not the player people make him out to be,12 years in the prem and averages 10 goals a season not that great tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Why Kilbane gets rimmed so much on this forum compared to Robbie is beyond me...

Why Kilbane gets rimmed so much on this forum compared to Robbie is beyond me...

I have never seen anyone on here ever compliment Kilbane, not even back handedly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I have never seen anyone on here ever compliment Kilbane, not even back handedly

Well he never really did that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

So effectively the best way to get picked for international duty is to announce your international retirement so you can concentrate on your club career :)

Erm, no.... Interesting interpretation....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Never made it at a big club. Always happy to be 'a big fish in a small pond'!

What's Robbie gonna do when the Hammers go down? Yet another transfer to a medicore relegation struggling club!

What's Robbie gonna do when the Hammers go down? Yet another transfer to a medicore relegation struggling club!

hes only on loan with a transfer likely if they stay up,tbh id say hes off to celtic next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

"Always happy to be 'a big fish in a small pond'!"

Absolute rubbish imo.

Went from Coventry to Inter Milan at a young age - was certainly not going to be a big fish in a small pond there.

Seriously, at what point in his career has Robbie avoided signing for a big club as that he could remain the big fish? Spurs was a big enough move for him, and he took it. Liverpool was a massive more for him at the time and he took that too - it didn't work out but he didn't leave because he wasn't the 'big fish', he left because the manager didn't want him and made that clear.

There are plenty of things to have a go at Robbie over, but a 'big fish' mentality is not one of them imo.

"Always happy to be 'a big fish in a small pond'!"

Absolute rubbish imo.

Went from Coventry to Inter Milan at a young age - was certainly not going to be a big fish in a small pond there.

Seriously, at what point in his career has Robbie avoided signing for a big club as that he could remain the big fish? Spurs was a big enough move for him, and he took it. Liverpool was a massive more for him at the time and he took that too - it didn't work out but he didn't leave because he wasn't the 'big fish', he left because the manager didn't want him and made that clear.

There are plenty of things to have a go at Robbie over, but a 'big fish' mentality is not one of them imo.

Never made it at Inter or Pool. The rest of his clubs have been either been small, relegation battlers (Wolves, West Ham) or mediocre mid-table clubs (Spurs, Leeds). Celtic were just mediocre obviously. Robbie was never able to make the step up to a big European club, or a top 4 club, which is a pity because I think he did have the potential earlier in his career to do so.

Basically, he epitomises everything that's wrong with a modern day footballer. He's not willing to fight for his place, be that for club or country, and would simply prefer to "walk away" as his ego can't take being dropped. I can't understand why he was ever made Ireland captain; he isn't a good captain. Whenever I watch him playing for Ireland, he usually throws his arms up in the air if the ref doesn't give him a decision or if a teammate doesn't provide a perfect pass. Not exactly captain material!

hes only on loan with a transfer likely if they stay up,tbh id say hes off to celtic next year.

Or maybe Fulham, Claudine would never leave the bright lights of London!

Cue Robbie dusting off his familiar speech....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Never made it at Inter or Pool. The rest of his clubs have been either been small, relegation battlers (Wolves, West Ham) or mediocre mid-table clubs (Spurs, Leeds). Celtic were just mediocre obviously. Robbie was never able to make the step up to a big European club, or a top 4 club, which is a pity because I think he did have the potential earlier in his career to do so.

Basically, he epitomises everything that's wrong with a modern day footballer. He's not willing to fight for his place, be that for club or country, and would simply prefer to "walk away" as his ego can't take being dropped. I can't understand why he was ever made Ireland captain; he isn't a good captain. Whenever I watch him playing for Ireland, he usually throws his arms up in the air if the ref doesn't give him a decision or if a teammate doesn't provide a perfect pass. Not exactly captain material!

So what if he didn't make it at a big club - he went to the big clubs when the came calling. It didn't work out for him, but thats just it - it simply didn't work out. He didn't beg for a transfer cause his ego wasn't getting stroked. He was sold by Inter cause the new manager didn't like him. He was sold by Liverpool cause the current manager didn't like him and used him as a political tool.

He tried to fight for his place at Spurs but couldn't win his place back, so he left to get first team football.

Most of your club comments are crap - you are basically crapping on him for being one of the many, many, MANY footballers who don't get signed by a CL club. Leeds were battling for the title when he joined them. Spurs were a side on the up (twice). Liverpool were a side going for the title. Celtic is, historically, one of the biggest clubs in the world. How you can even mention wolves..... wow, a young kid signed on as a youth team player at a smaller club, wonder could it be the same reason a lot of kids do that - more potential for first team exposure and experience... As for signing for Coventry - he signed for them very young and, from memory, I think they were the only side in for him at the time.

Give me a 'modern' footballer who will leave for first team football over one, such as the famous Winston Bogarde, who was happy to pick up his money every week and never play a game (which he was, of course, perfectly entitled to do).

Basically, you appear to be having a go at home because he is not one of the best footballers around; not many are though.

As for the captaincy comments - yeah, I agree - those are criticisms I can understand and accept, as I said: there is plenty have a go at Robbie over, I just don't think a big fish mentality is one of them.

• Advertisement

So what if he didn't make it at a big club - he went to the big clubs when the came calling. It didn't work out for him, but thats just it - it simply didn't work out. He didn't beg for a transfer cause his ego wasn't getting stroked. He was sold by Inter cause the new manager didn't like him. He was sold by Liverpool cause the current manager didn't like him and used him as a political tool.

He tried to fight for his place at Spurs but couldn't win his place back, so he left to get first team football.

Most of your club comments are crap - you are basically crapping on him for being one of the many, many, MANY footballers who don't get signed by a CL club. Leeds were battling for the title when he joined them. Spurs were a side on the up (twice). Liverpool were a side going for the title. Celtic is, historically, one of the biggest clubs in the world. How you can even mention wolves..... wow, a young kid signed on as a youth team player at a smaller club, wonder could it be the same reason a lot of kids do that - more potential for first team exposure and experience... As for signing for Coventry - he signed for them very young and, from memory, I think they were the only side in for him at the time.

Give me a 'modern' footballer who will leave for first team football over one, such as the famous Winston Bogarde, who was happy to pick up his money every week and never play a game (which he was, of course, perfectly entitled to do).

Basically, you appear to be having a go at home because he is not one of the best footballers around; not many are though.

As for the captaincy comments - yeah, I agree - those are criticisms I can understand and accept, as I said: there is plenty have a go at Robbie over, I just don't think a big fish mentality is one of them.

Well, there was an article in the Sunday Indo a few weeks ago regarding Robbie's comments on a possible move to Birmingham City, where Keane basically ridiculed the club giving the impression that they were beneath him. That to me says 'big fish mentality'. Also look at his comments on walking away from the Ireland team..... another example of being the 'big fish'. A good pro would fight for his place and prove to the manager he was worth a game. Robbie doesn't have the hunger to fight for his place anymore, either at club or country, and is happy enough to be doing cartwheels against the likes of Andorra. Bit embarrassing really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Well, there was an article in the Sunday Indo a few weeks ago regarding Robbie's comments on a possible move to Birmingham City, where Keane basically ridiculed the club giving the impression that they were beneath him. That to me says 'big fish mentality'. Also look at his comments on walking away from the Ireland team..... another example of being the 'big fish'. A good pro would fight for his place and prove to the manager he was worth a game. Robbie doesn't have the hunger to fight for his place anymore, either at club or country, and is happy enough to be doing cartwheels against the likes of Andorra. Bit embarrassing really!

Surely if he wanted to be a big fish in a small pond he would have jumped at a move to Birmingham so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭sydsad

I am def not a Robbie Keane hater type person.

I support spurs and was sickened he didnt get a fair chance this season. He had such a good pre-season as well but Harry wasnt arsed. But in he end he needed to move for himself and, well Ireland. Hopefully he does well at west ham.

But those comments he made, to me, sounb like a little spoiled brat. He had to mean he would walk away from the Ireland team if he was replaced. And the way he said he never really worried about his place even backs that up in my opinion.

He obviously thinks that his place in the team is untouchable, which it was for a while but we have strikers who are scoring goals and getting regular team football. So why wouldnt his place be under threat?? If he thought it wasnt then he is obviously in la la land.

So in one way, IF those comments he said meant what i think they meant then he can go ****.

But at the same time, it would be nice for him to get back to his old self playing and scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Bit embarrassing really!

Yes, yes I agree but you just need to think before you post ;) Inter Milan, Liverpool, Spurs and Celtic are all small pond clubs, priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Have you got a link to those quotes? The only ones I can find are not how you portray them: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/in-brief-keane-hits-out-at-birmingham-2501784.html

You're flapping around like a bit of a fish yourself.

You claimed he had always been happy to be a big fish in a small pond, but Mitch has shown that to be simply untrue. Your summary of his club history is so flawed it's beyond funny.

Now you're saying that he sees Birmingham as beneath him. Eh I thought you said he liked being a big fish in a small pond? And if his move to West Ham proves that he doesn't have the hunger to fight for his place any more (which it doesn't prove by the way) then why would he not want to move to a club like Brum where he would also have a better chance of getting his game?

On the question of whether he has the hunger to fight for his place - Redknapp doesn't fancy him, Keane has fought for his place. He did everything he could and Harry has shown that he doesn't want him. To stay at Spurs would have done him no good.

Anyway, to sum up: you are hating. You are floundering around for any possible excuse to criticise the player and in the process are showing yourself to have little regard for logic or recent football history.

• Advertisement

robbie keane=marmite

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭strawberryb0y

robbie keane=marmite

No way, I hate marmite but I like Robbie Keane.:pac:

I can never understand all the hate that gets directed his way. If we have half as good a goalscorer for the rest of my life I'd be very surprised and all the people claiming he should do us a favor and retire now won't know what they're missing until he's gone.
    As for the comments I think hes being misunderstood (perhaps intentionally) by some on here. He's saying he'll retire when theres no longer need for him to be taking up space, the way in which I think Kilbane should now.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Have you got a link to those quotes? The only ones I can find are not how you portray them: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/in-brief-keane-hits-out-at-birmingham-2501784.html

Here's a link:

Sorry Robbie, you're just not worth it!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/sorry-robbie-youre-just-not-worth-it-2500061.html

Not willing to take a pay cut in order to save his failing career, that to me says a lot!

The funny thing is he wouldn't be the 'star player' at Birmingham City..... they have a few decent big-name players such as Bentley, Hleb, Zigic, McFadden etc. I think the truth is Robbie didn't fancy the challenge of having to fight for his place against the like of Jerome, Philips & Co. The fact is Robbie Keane is no longer a top 4 striker; his current standard from henceforth is, at best, a lower Premier League club and he better get used to it.

I'd relieve him of the Irish captaincy duty and I'd also seriously consider dropping him for the likes of Leon Best, Shane Long, or Anthony Stokes. Maybe Robbie would be a good impact sub for Ireland.

You're flapping around like a bit of a fish yourself.

You claimed he had always been happy to be a big fish in a small pond, but Mitch has shown that to be simply untrue. Your summary of his club history is so flawed it's beyond funny.

Now you're saying that he sees Birmingham as beneath him. Eh I thought you said he liked being a big fish in a small pond? And if his move to West Ham proves that he doesn't have the hunger to fight for his place any more (which it doesn't prove by the way) then why would he not want to move to a club like Brum where he would also have a better chance of getting his game?

On the question of whether he has the hunger to fight for his place - Redknapp doesn't fancy him, Keane has fought for his place. He did everything he could and Harry has shown that he doesn't want him. To stay at Spurs would have done him no good.

Anyway, to sum up: you are the definition of a hater. You are floundering around for any possible excuse to criticise the player and in the process are showing yourself to have little regard for logic or recent football history.

Those two comments in bold are most offensive and I ask you to withdraw them at once. I am not a "hater".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Where in that piece does it say what Keane was looking for in wages, I see no figures, no quotes from Keane :confused:

Besides all that, the agents deal with all the transfer negotiations and finer details not the player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

The funny thing is he wouldn't be the 'star player' at Birmingham City..... they have a few decent big-name players such as Bentley, Hleb, Zigic, McFadden etc. I think the truth is Robbie didn't fancy the challenge of having to fight for his place against the like of Jerome, Philips & Co. The fact is Robbie Keane is no longer a top 4 striker; his current standard from henceforth is, at best, a lower Premier League club and he better get used to it.
    Do you reckon Birmingham have better options up front than West Ham then?

OK, so as I suspected, when you said this:
    Well, there was an article in the Sunday Indo a few weeks ago regarding Robbie's comments on a possible move to Birmingham City, where Keane basically ridiculed the club giving the impression that they were beneath him.
    You were talking out of your hole. Making up things to suit your own agenda. The agenda of making Keane look bad.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Not willing to take a pay cut in order to save his failing career, that to me says a lot!
    There is absolutely no guarantee that a move to Brum would save his career. Their style of football is most unsuited to feeding a goal poacher like Keane. They have a few strikers so he might find himself only used as an impact sub, especially considering that their bigger, more athletic options up front are more suited to their style. They have a good chance of being relegated, so he would need to move again then in order to get top flight football.
    lol at your list of star players. And lol at your belief that he wouldn't want to play alongside good players - I'm sure he loves playing in shít teams. I'm sure all he wants to do at a club is recreate his experience in the Irish team where he spends 90 minutes getting the ball fired in at his neck from the likes of Whelan and Green.

So what if Robbie is no longer a top four striker? The fact that he doesn't have the ability to be a top four striker means that he has the big fish small pond mentality? No of course it doesn't. It's just a continuation of your hate spew. If anything it means that when he ends up at a smaller team he is there because that's his level.
    Those two comments in bold are most offensive and I ask you to withdraw them at once. I am not a "hater".
    I changed the hater bit to ''you are hating''. Maybe you don't think you are a hater, but on this thread you are hating.

As to the flapping around comment, I'll stop telling you that you're flapping around like a fish when you stop doing it.

Currently you are still flapping around. Changing your story back and forth, just looking for any possible reason to criticise Keane. And filling your posts with idiocy while you are doing it.

I changed the hater bit to ''you are hating''. Maybe you don't think you are a hater, but on this thread you are hating.

As to the flapping around comment, I'll stop telling you that you're flapping around like a fish when you stop doing it.

Currently you are still flapping around. Changing your story back and forth, just looking for any possible reason to criticise Keane. And filling your posts with idiocy while you are doing it.

Withdraw....

Withdraw....

What is that, a threat?

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I don't really get all the ego stuff in the thread, I thought he was being decent and saying that when someone comes along to take his place he'll take it on the chin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't really get all the ego stuff in the thread, I thought he was being decent and saying that when someone comes along to take his place he'll take it on the chin.

Yep, but that ain't no fun is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep, but that ain't no fun is it?
    :D can't argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

iregk wrote: »
    To be honest I'd like to think he ment that he wouldn't be egotistical enough to do a David Beckham and that he'd know when the time is right to walk away. That way doing whats best for the team. Reading the quote though I'm just not so sure that it's the case and Robbie does sound very petulant in that response.

David Beckham doesn't need to play for England yet he'll happily fly halfway around the World to sit on the bench and help out any way that he can. That is an attitude which should be admired, not criticised.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

:D can't argue with that

Ah, go on and argue, there's some good personal spats going on here!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beefy78 wrote: »
    David Beckham doesn't need to play for England yet he'll happily fly halfway around the World to sit on the bench and help out any way that he can. That is an attitude which should be admired, not criticised.

He'll also get out and help you push your car if you get stuck at a roundabout.

Advertisement