Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped

Options
  • 01-02-2011 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was clamped in Dublin 8 for having a visitors parking permit scratched off on one date, 6th, and marginally on another date, 8th.
    I appealed the clamp as I couldn't possibly of used the parking permit twice as I was clamped on the 6th.
    Their first response was it had been an unsuccessful appeal.
    However I sent the appeal in again and they approved it and are in the process of refunding the fee!
    :pac: Always send in the second appeal form, you can download it online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Personally if I was clamped by a private company I would happily cut the clamp off and give it back in my own time. If they want to mess with my property I will mess with theirs.

I would enjoy a case against me for criminal damage as they would probably lose and set a precedent that anyone could use against any clamping company to get there money back. There afraid too charge because of this.

Clamping is for bullies and there is only one way to sort out bullies and that's to beat them at there own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Limericks wrote: »
    I would enjoy a case against me for criminal damage as they would probably lose and set a precedent that anyone could use against any clamping company to get there money back. There afraid too charge because of this.

Ya, I'd agree, technically if you can be done for criminal damage in this particular case then they would be just as open for interfering with private property. The case could even be faught that the damage caused to the clamp only occured due to recklessness from the owner, or that it was removed to protect your own private property as it may have been clamped in an area that you feel was unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Post split out into their own thread as the original thread was a zombie

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's revenue raising.

If a car is an obstruction it should be removed only by Garda Authority on flatbed to a pound.

Otherwise it should have a parking ticket.

Clamping is obscene and illogical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

watty wrote: »
    It's revenue raising.

If a car is an obstruction it should be removed only by Garda Authority on flatbed to a pound.

Don't agree. Clamping on public streets in Dublin has been a very successful means of regulating parking. Before hand you had people who hogged spaces all day with impunity. Now the fear of clamping means people adhere to the rules.

However, I would have a problem with the methods and standards of DSPS. DCC are well aware of my views on that one! But that's the operator rather than the principle of clamping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've cut off the chain on a clamp before on my car and replaced the chain (with the help of a few friends). It was a private clamping company as opposed to Dublin City Council who I would never go against.

They tried to sue me for criminal damage but it never got to court and they eventually went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

watty wrote: »
    It's revenue raising.

If a car is causing an obstruction most of the time they'll call a tow truck and get it moved, then reclamp it off the main route. Very rarely do they clamp vehicle blocking main routes/access.

Advertisement