Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Meatballs

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I saw a recipe in Good Food magazine that I want to try tomorrow - it's for lamb meatballs in a basic rosemary and tomato sauce. In the recipe they used ready-made lamb meatballs but I couldn't get any of those in Tesco so I got a packet of lamb mince instead. What should I add to the lamb to make them into nice meatballs? I don't particularly want them to be spicy. Any help appreciated :) I love cooking but only when going from a recipe, I don't trust myself to improvise!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Lamb loves Rosemary which you have in the tomato sauce so I wouldn't mess too much with the meat...a bit of garlic, some finely chopped scallions/spring onions, salt, freshly ground black pepper..that would be lovely mixed into the mince before cooking to serve with the rosemary tomato sauce-
    best of luck with it...

edit...a small amount of dried herbs- Italian or French mix would also help, but don't put too much in...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lamb loves coriander too, as long as you do. A small bit of very fine breadcrumbs usually works nicely, as does a pinch of cumin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lamb loves coriander too

Not with a rosemary sauce, though.

OP, in this case, just make a really basic meatball - your mince, some grated onion & garlic and some seasoning. An egg and some breadcrumbs to bind, if needed. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Great thanks for the tips - really looking forward to it as I love lamb but rarely cook it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What should I add to the lamb to make them into nice meatballs?
    Roll them in some finely chopped herbs, preferably mint, coriander or rosemary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

What did you end up doing OP? Hope it worked out OK..

Cicero wrote: »
    What did you end up doing OP? Hope it worked out OK..

I haven't managed to make it yet - ended up working late so lamb mince is in the freezer and will make them this week. I'll update the thread once I make them, really looking forward to it!

So I finally got round to making these tonight - I went with salt, black pepper, finely chopped red onion, crushed garlic and the cumin - very tasty! The sauce wasn't great but the meatballs were lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On the meatball/burger topic - next time you are making either with beef - try some grated courgette & ginger in the mix. Yum!

Advertisement