Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins (refuse and recycling collections)

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

The kind people of Greenstar have advised me they want to charge me an additional €60 (glass collection) for the year on top of my €235 for my bin lifts (24) for the year.
    I have emailed (alliedwaste, accesswaste, eurowaste, panda & ozo) for some price comparisons but who are you guys using,

Cheers
    Earlsie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I told them they can take the glass bin back and reduce my bill by €60 and they did.

I think most providers are roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thanks for the reminder. Keep forgetting to call them!

Pretty sharp alright, introduce a "free" service and then introduce a charge of €60. It would cost me less in petrol if I were to take one trip to the bottle bank for each bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've found Eurowaste to be very reliable and cheap and they are (supposedly) introducing glass collection this month, not sure if there's going to be a charge for it though (tbh its not that much of a hassle to go to the bottle bank).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Greenstar have also added a Clothes Recycling to their collections. Just pop the clean/dry clothes in a clear bag and put it in your recycling bin for collection.

No idea how it won't get crushed, but it is there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

yeah thanks for the reminder too. dont forget to ask upc for cheaper bills too. asking seems to work apparently.

• Advertisement

And while we are on the issue of saving money, don't forget to get onto the revenue so that you can get tax credits for your waste disposal.

See here

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Thanks for the reminder. Keep forgetting to call them!

Pretty sharp alright, introduce a "free" service and then introduce a charge of €60. It would cost me less in petrol if I were to take one trip to the bottle bank for each bottle.

I had the same thought but I looked at our statement from last year and they charged 60 last year as well. I thought it was free as well but we were paying for it all along apparently.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    And while we are on the issue of saving money, don't forget to get onto the revenue so that you can get tax credits for your waste disposal.

See here

were these tax credits not removed in the budget?

were these tax credits not removed in the budget?

RTFM :D

Available this year based on last years bill but will no longer be available from 01/01/2012.

It can also be backdated till 2007.

• Advertisement

RTFM :D

Available this year based on last years bill but will no longer be available from 01/01/2012.

DOH! mea culpa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I got a leaflet from Ozo through the door yesterday and they are cheaper than Eurowaste and a free glass collection. Has anyone used them before? Are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks Audrey - how much is it and how many lifts/recycling lifts do you get?

Eurowaste pick up recycling every week which is really handy if you forget to put it out one week - green bins fill up quickly; missing a week with Greenstar meant having an overflowing bin by the time they come around again two weeks later!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Ozo have a few payment plans, €220 for 26 lifts a year. Its every two weeks and free glass recyling. Whereas for €235 for the same amount but without the free glass recycling. I don't mind going to Tesco with my glass to save money but it would be handy to have it collected.

We asked and got a larger Green Bin from Greenstar which is about 1.5 times the size of the normal bin. Holds loads and no longer have the issue of overflowing bins.

We asked and got a larger Green Bin from Greenstar which is about 1.5 times the size of the normal bin. Holds loads and no longer have the issue of overflowing bins.

Is there an extra charge?

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Is there an extra charge?

Nope.

Nope.

Good stuff will order one so.

Has anyone done the leg work yet and listed up all the costs? Did it last year, might do an update if nobody else has.

We just tried to change from Eurowaste to Ozo but Eurowaste counter offered and are now doing glass collection too. So it might be an idea to ring your collection company and ask for a deal!

We are sticking with Eurowaste and happy with the decision because they always have been so easy to deal with!

• Advertisement

Our option was 210 without glass and 250 with. The glass bin is bigger than ozo. Slightly more expensive that ozo's annual option but they collect every week. 26 bin collects and 52 recycling. Glass every 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Hi, I was just wondering was there an extra charge for the glass collection with Eurowaste.

I assume it was 40€... Since that was the difference in the annual payment with or without glass. I'm just sick of letting the glass build up in the shed and never remembering to bring it down to the bottle bank! It reminds me how much wine I drink :-)

Its €50 for the glass bin with Eurowaste. I think the bottle bins are the same size across the board but I'm open for correction on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

astrofluff wrote: »
    Its €50 for the glass bin with Eurowaste.

Sure, give them a ring. No harm in trying to do a deal if you find it's cheaper somewhere else! ;)
    astrofluff wrote: »
    I think the bottle bins are the same size across the board but I'm open for correction on that one.

The Ozo ones are basically small tubs. They're short and don't fit much. But they're also included in the fee. The Eurowaste ones are full height but skinnier than the regular bins. They collect the glass bins every six weeks. And Eurowaste come once a week so you can put your waste & recycling bins out whenever, whereas Ozo only come once every 2 weeks.

.........or just bring the bottles to one of the many bottle banks dotted around Greystones and save your self €50-€60 a year.

On another note to Greenstar customers.
    I cancelled my bottle bin to save €60. Less than a week later i got a call asking would i keep the glass bin at a reduced price of €25 which i still declined for reasons mentioned above.

So if you are with Greenstar and paying €60 for glass collections you are being robbed because if you cancel they will offer it at less than half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we're paying 260 to Eurowaste for waste and recycling every week and glass every 6. Not sure how this compares to other providers but its less than we were paying them last year with no glass collection. Also they do monthly direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 myoreflex

Hi Earlsie,

I just read your post and would be curious to know who you went with in the end after all your research. We are moving into a house tomorrow in Greystones and as we are coming from abroad I know we will have a lot of waste, once lorry is emptied so I need to sort out bins asap.
    Thank you so much in advance!
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Damo9090 wrote: »
    .........or just bring the bottles to one of the many bottle banks dotted around Greystones and save your self €50-€60 a year.

On another note to Greenstar customers.
    I cancelled my bottle bin to save €60. Less than a week later i got a call asking would i keep the glass bin at a reduced price of €25 which i still declined for reasons mentioned above.

So if you are with Greenstar and paying €60 for glass collections you are being robbed because if you cancel they will offer it at less than half price.
    Update: letter from Greenstar came today advising that glass can be put into the normal recycling bin now, the glass bin can now be used as an extra recycling bin at no extra cost.

Clearly there were a lot of folk asking for glass collection to be cancelled. €60 per year for glass collection beggars belief!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 grouser

Just got a letter from Greenstar today too:
    "..... the introduction of a new service with immediate effect and at no additional charge to you. Due to advances in recycling in our Fassaroe site, you can now put clean glass into your recycling bin. This will be collected as normal every 2 weeks allowing you to recycle more.......... Please keep hold of your glass bin and feel free to use it as an additional recycling bin, we will collect it free of charge on the same day as your larger recycling bin."

An interesting development. But the letter is unclear on the €60 extra I was paying (I think) for glass collection - is this continuing with "no additional charge" or is this gone as glass lift will not be separate from recycling lift?

I also wonder about mixing glass with all other recyclables. Maybe I'll just keep glass in the glass bin and put it out on recycling days?

Advertisement