Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give an external Harddrive the same network path and USB path.

Options
  • 01-02-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

I want to put my Itunes music on a portable harddrive. This harddrive will be plugged into a WDTV Live and will be accessed over a wireless network.

How do i make the external harddrive plugged into a laptop with USB look like it is plugged in as a mapped network drive?

The reason i'm asking, if i move the Itunes library over using the mapped network drive, but then decide i need to bring the external hard drive with me and plug it in with the USB, then itunes won't be able to find the network path.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

Right, for what its worth this is how I solved my probelm.

I plugged in the Extrernal Harddrive into the WDTV Live which lets me share the harddrive over a wireless network

I mapped the network drive as Drive S.

I then changed the path in Itunes to a new music folder on Drive S and consolidated the Library.

This all works grand. To now see the Itunes Libarary by plugging the External Harddrive directly into the computer, Go to the Computer Management in the Administrative Tools section of the Control Panel and in Disk Manager, change the letter of the drive to Drive S.

Itunes sees the drive letter as Drive S and plays the music. To go back to the network option, you have to map the network drive again to Drive S.

Its a bit of messing around, but its an option if i need to bring the external hard drive with me.

Paste this into a shortcut on the desktop for quick access to the Disk Manager
    C:\Windows\System32\compmgmt.msc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

If you can do it through the management interface, you should be able to script it. Maybe have a look at powershell.

Advertisement