Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropdown Menu

Options
  • 01-02-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

How do you code a dropdown menu in html/css? I've a menu across the top here: http://drunkendisaster.com/

I want a dropdown menu to appear when you hover over "articles" which will display a list of sub-categories, any ideas?

I've put an unordered list inside one of the list items that make up the main menu, but beyond that I've no idea. Doing this just adds elements to the original menu.

I presume there's a css trick to hide the dropdown menu, then display it when you hover over the appropriate main menu item but I've no idea what this trick may be.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I presume you mean like the menus at the top of the Boards page?
    I could be wrong but I think they're done with javascript.

Wouldn't have a clue how to go about implementing it, though I'm sure someone on here does.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

gouche wrote: »
    I presume you mean like the menus at the top of the Boards page?
    I could be wrong but I think they're done with javascript.

Wouldn't have a clue how to go about implementing it, though I'm sure someone on here does.

Yeah exactly, that would have been a much better way of explaining it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

AFAIK, most of them are done by jQuery now, at least its usually the easiest to implement. Have a search for a jQuery drop down menu plugin and you should find a ready made one. Keep in mind however, that there may be browser compatibility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fenderlvr

In simple terms you use CSS hover on the LI elements.

Here's an example that uses pure HTML/CSS.

http://www.cssnewbie.com/example/css-dropdown-menu/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Thanks for the help folks, I'll try out your suggestions tomorrow, head's busted with it tonight! I'll let ye know how I get on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement