Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie Casey-Guillermo Rigondeaux, world title fight

• 01-02-2011 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, hows this one going down in Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

finbarrk wrote: »

Yeah, thats the boxing forum. Of course they are going to be excited about.

I am more interested in getting a Limerick perspective. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Hey guys, hows this one going down in Limerick?

Haven't heard much talk about it at all, they'd want to get a bit of hype going!

It's still over six weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

finbarrk wrote: »
    It's still over six weeks away.

You really are a helpful chap Finbarr! Thank you for all the information you provide.

IN case you missed it there was a press conference in Limerick the other day with the two boxers in attendance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU221vXHKo8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

The fight is not being televised even though it is being offered for free to RTE by the fight promoters. Disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Jigga wrote: »
    The fight is not being televised even though it is being offered for free to RTE by the fight promoters. Disgraceful!

What? Utter disgrace. A world title fight and they aren't televising? You can be sure if it was a Dublin boxer they'd be televising it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Why wasn't the fight in America? Rigondeaux mentioned he wished it was there, is it because one must fight in the challengers country that it is in Dublin?

Hey Vintage, I'm on your side. Cool down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 davidmichael

Not televised.....total disgrace, an irishman in a world championship fight?! if it was Bernard Dunne getting knocked on his arse they would show it....although I do think Casey is up against it big time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Do you have a source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Mentioned in today's Limerick Post. Head of RTE sport Ryle Nugent said it would cost them too much to broadcast it (presumably setting up the studio and getting in analysts). I can't imagine that they'd make less from advertising than it would cost to broadcast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

http://www.irish-boxing.com/stories/january11/jan11_no_tv_for_casey.html
    Dolphil and Nowere2Hyde promotions both claim RTE are letting the people of Ireland down by refusing to broadcast the biggest fight the country has seen since Bernard Dunne retired.

It was revealed at the press conference to officially announce Willie Casey's bid to dethrone WBA world interim champion Guillermo Rigondeaux yesterday that the mouth watering clash will not be shown on terrestrial TV.

Sky Sports and Eurosport are leading the race to win the rights for the March 19 world title fight, but both camps claimed they would prefer if the whole of Ireland could tune in to support ’Big Bang’ Casey.

Public service broadcaster RTE can’t afford to air the eagerly anticipated tactician versus brawler showdown despite being offered the card for free.

And Rigondeaux’s manager Gary Hyde claims if they show any other boxing over the next 12 people they National Broadcasters will have serious questions to answer.

“RTE have been offered the fight for free. We are not just here to make money both camps are involved in boxing at every level and we want to promote the game across the country. Willie Casey is a massive name in Ireland now and you cant a bigger fight the a world title bout. Rigondeaux is the biggest star since Sugar Ray Leonard to fight here. The people deserve to get the chance to see it,” Hyde said at yesterday’s press conference.

“This fight will be a war, believe me and one the people will love. If RTE don’t show this fight and show any other boxing over the next 12 months they will have a lot to answer for. This is the biggest fight in Ireland this year and it is free for them. I hope people get onto RTE and they are pressured into taking the fight.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Yet they can afford katherine lynch. shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

osarusan wrote: »
    Mentioned in today's Limerick Post. Head of RTE sport Ryle Nugent said it would cost them too much to broadcast it (presumably setting up the studio and getting in analysts). I can't imagine that they'd make less from advertising than it would cost to broadcast though.

Thanks, it really is a joke that RTE won't show it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dublinboy76

the fight is not being televised by RTE is because willie casey is a traveller that is disgraceful if it was any other irish boxer it would be on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Thanks, it really is a joke that RTE won't show it.

It is a joke especially when one considers that many of the Andy Lee and Bernard Dunne fights that RTE televised were joke fights in which Lee and Dunne took on very poor fighters.

The Casey-Rigondeaux is a world ranked fight, that is drawing attention abroad, and a fight that will leave the winner in a position to go on to much bigger fights quickly.

Joke of a decision by RTE.

I would lay money that if Bernard Dunne was able to have a comeback fight against some bum next week that RTE would show it and build it up to be some kind of major boxing event.

In some ways I would love to see Willie Casey win it, and then sign a deal with Sky or some other network and not let RTE show any of his future fights.

Just baffling that a talented young Irish fighter fighting in Ireland for the interim WBA World super bantamweight title is not going to be seen by the people of Ireland on the State broadcaster.

Limerick folk and other Irish boxing fans should email the person in Government who is the current spokesperson for Communications, a certain Willie O Dea, as well as emailing RTE to voice their displeasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the fight is not being televised by RTE is because willie casey is a traveller that is disgraceful if it was any other irish boxer it would be on

They must not have noticed when they televised his last fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Here's the email address for sports-related queries. As far as I know, they have to reply to every email.

sportonline@rte.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just sent RTE sport and Mr Nugent a nice little email regarding this fight. You know if everybody that read this thread sent an email to them who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

krudler wrote: »
    They must not have noticed when they televised his last fight.
    and a talk show twice in 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 stevenforward

i'm hoping to go to big bang's wba fight, but i already have tickets for the rugby ireland v england that day at 5 pm in the aviva.

anyone got any info on the undercard for the fight? i.e. is there many fights before casey's? or wat time will the casey fight be on roughly? doors are advertised to open at 6pm in citywest, so i'm just trying to figure out if i can make the rugby and the fight?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Fight will now be shown by RTE.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2011/0311/caseyw_limerick.html
    RTÉ to screen Willie Casey title fight
    Friday, 11 March 2011 12:57
    RTÉ Sport has confirmed that it will screen live coverage of Willie 'Big Bang' Casey's WBA World title fight against Guillermo Rigondeaux on Saturday, 19 March.

The bout will be broadcast across RTÉ Two Television, RTÉ Radio and worldwide on RTÉ.ie.

The fight will feature as part of a bumper day of sport broadcast on RTÉ for Irish sports fans with almost 11 hours of coverage across boxing, rugby and soccer.

Ryle Nugent, Group Head RTÉ Sport, said: 'We are delighted to now be in a position to bring the Irish public live coverage of Willie Casey's WBA World title fight.

'This has been made possible by Dolphil Promotions having secured independent finance to cover the associated television production costs.

'It builds on our strong support of Willie's boxing talent which includes our broadcast of his European Super Bantamweight title win last November.

'Added to the coverage of the RBS 6 Nations, including Ireland v England from the Aviva Stadium, and Premier League action on the day, it makes for a compelling free-to-air offering for Irish sports fans.'

Daniel Halpin, Marketing Executive of Dolphil Promotions, said:

'We are delighted that an agreement has been met and the Irish public will be able to watch this historic occasion in the comfort of their homes.

'One of the greatest amateur fighters of all time, Guillermo Rigondeaux, takes on our very own Cinderella man, Willie Casey, and we are very proud that a television deal with RTÉ has come to fruition.'

The action-packed day of top class sport begins with the final day of the RBS 6 Nations featuring a triple header of games including Ireland v England.

The live rugby is followed by live coverage of the Limerick boxer's challenge for World title glory and the day is rounded off on RTÉ Television with the latest top-flight Premier League action immediately afterwards in Premier Soccer Saturday.

On RTÉ Television presenter Darragh Maloney will be joined in studio by a panel for expert analysis of all the action on Pro Box Live at 10.00pm on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie.

Radio coverage will also begin at 10.00pm on RTÉ Radio 1 FM, LW, DAB and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

i'm hoping to go to big bang's wba fight, but i already have tickets for the rugby ireland v england that day at 5 pm in the aviva.

anyone got any info on the undercard for the fight? i.e. is there many fights before casey's? or wat time will the casey fight be on roughly? doors are advertised to open at 6pm in citywest, so i'm just trying to figure out if i can make the rugby and the fight?

Thanks

Looks like Casey vs Rigondeux is scheduled for 22:10 on Saturday night.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/boxing

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i doubt it, he's been on RTE more times outside the ring than Bernard Dunne!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Mr.Conners

All the best to Willie Casey tomorrow night. No doubt he will give his all and do the people of Limerick proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No disrespect to Willy, but he is going to get his arse handed to him tomorrow. This guy is serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 earnan mcnulty

hey there,
    can anyone tel me what pub i could find the big bang fight in london. ere for wkend n gona flip if i dont c it. dont wanna watch it on the net. its jus not the same thing. im in the sout west.
    please help me

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

_MG_4893.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Jesus that was a short one

Advertisement