Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willie Casey-Guillermo Rigondeaux, world title fight

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Huge mismatch. He had no business sharing a ring with that dude.

He'll come again though, it wasn't a prolonged beating. Chin up and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Denners

A problem with some members of Willies family shouldn't reflect on him if he wasn't involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What a joke of a thread this is. Irish begrudgery at its very best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

Boxing wouldnt be a sport that I'd follow but I really felt sorry for Willie last night, listening to the panel before the fight I got the impression that it was too soon for Willie to be stepping into a World Title fight and as it turned out that's the way it was but in fairness to Willie I thought he gave a good interview with RTE immediately after the fight.

Well done Wille, hopefully, you'l have another day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

I have removed my comment as this thread was about an individual and not his supporters and on reflection it was not fair on Willie who I do wish all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some of the comments directly about Willie on this thread are a disgrace.

I can understand it towards some of his relatives, the ones who commited the crimes mentioned, but the bile being directed towards Willie is wrong.

And as for the guy who passed the comment on the great fans. Well the majority of the crowd were not related to Willie, so all they showed up was the great band wagon type sports fan that Limerick and Ireland is full of.

If a person or team are winning, then the "fans" flock to show up, just as they have done for Munster in the past, the minute things don't go so well, the great Limerick and Irish support looks for a new thing to claim to be a great supporter of.

Thankfully Munster and and other teams/individuals in Ireland have a hard core of great support to rely on, and the big crowds of no nowts can go jump on another band wagon.

eco2live wrote: »
    I don't think that people can be called begrudgers. Sometimes people get sick of travelers behavior. Now they will be called racists. A racist is a somebody who is prejudice against a race because of their skin color or background. In travelers cases people don't like them because of their behavior not their color. They are the aggressors in most situation. In the cinema in shops, chippers, restaurants, pubs they go around abusing people and getting in their face. Can people be blamed for not liking this? You cant say anything to them or you are in for trouble.

Not all are bad of course but even the best of them don't contribute anything to the state.

If people have been a victim of the casey family then why should they be aloud to put their case online. I for one would never support a rapist in any case and if anyone in my family was a rapist then they would not be welcome anywhere near me in the future.

Willie seems like an nice bloke from the interviews I have seen and heard but most of the comments have been about his supporters and are justified

What has any of that got to do with Willie?

I don't think that people can be called begrudgers. Sometimes people get sick of travelers behavior. Now they will be called racists. A racist is a somebody who is prejudice against a race because of their skin color or background. In travelers cases people don't like them because of their behavior not their color. They are the aggressors in most situation. In the cinema in shops, chippers, restaurants, pubs they go around abusing people and getting in their face. Can people be blamed for not liking this? You cant say anything to them or you are in for trouble.

Not all are bad of course but even the best of them don't contribute anything to the state.
    If people have been a victim of the casey family then why should they be aloud to put their case online. I for one would never support a rapist in any case and if anyone in my family was a rapist then they would not be welcome anywhere near me in the future.

Willie seems like an nice bloke from the interviews I have seen and heard but most of the comments have been about his supporters and are justified

Define contributing to the State?

Do you mean by having a job and paying taxes? Well Willie was doing that before turning pro as a boxer. He worked as a welder and has held other jobs when younger. He was not a dole scrounger. So he paid his taxes and did contribute.

As a pro boxer his earnings are also taxed and he pays what is meant to be paid on his earnings.

Maybe you mean in things like putting kids through school? Yep he is doing that as well.

Maybe you mean it as in having a house and paying bills and buying things in shops? yep he is doing that as well.

Maybe you mean by keeping his nose clean and not getting involved in criminal stuff? Yep he ticks that box as well.

So please enlighten me what he could do that would be contributing to the State and be sure to point out the things that you are doing to contribute that differs from him. Because if people are going to slag off an individual, they should have their facts spot on for the individual and not try to tar him with what others have done.

Because if all individuals are to be tarred by the actions of current or past relatives, or current or past friends, then pretty much everyone is going to have something pop up, maybe even stuff they were unaware of.

Melion wrote: »
    What has any of that got to do with Willie?

I take your point and I was supporting Willie myself. Maybe the supporter point is better made on another thread. It is not fair on Willie.

I was not talking about Willie. He seems like a decent sort. I can't disagree with the content of your post except to say that I was not talking about an individual. I wish him well as an individual and this thread is not the best place to discuss that so I will leave it at that. It must be a pain in the arse for him to have this dragged up all the time.

I would appreciate it if the people who quoted me would delete my comments so as not to distract from the original thread.

And I do think that he took the fight too soon but he will be back again. It has raised his profile and I wish him well.

• Advertisement

I was not talking about Willie. He seems like a decent sort. I can't disagree with the content of your post except to say that I was not talking about an individual but the contribution of travelers and their impact on society. I wish him well as an individual and this thread is not the best place to discuss that so I will leave it at that.

Really you were not talking about Willie at all? In a thread that was about the fight he was in?

Then why make this comment?

Seems to me that with that comment you tarred Willie with the same brush as all the others you were commenting on. After all according to you none of "them" contribute to the state, not some of them contribute nothing.

Read my posts again. I have deleted my comments so as not to tarnish Willie and I agree with you. If you post quotes of my comments then you are dragging it up. I will leave it at that. Delete the quotes and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This thread is about the Casey vs Rigondeaux fight. Comments should be limited to that.

I've never heard about Willie Casey being convicted of rape, nor has he himself even been accused of it on this thread, as far as I can see.

There is no such thing as guilt by association, and in my opinion this thread isn't the place to bring up wrongs done by people other than Willie himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Could you find me a link online to where its alleged that Willie Casey raped someone

Where did i say willy casey raped anyone but his brothers did,i personally know 2 victims.Here have a read of this and tell me willy can sleep happily in his bed at night knowing his family are saints.

http://bocktherobber.com/2006/10/limerick-travellers-protest

osarusan wrote: »
    This thread is about the Casey vs Rigondeaux fight. Comments should be limited to that.

I've never heard about Willie Casey being convicted of rape, nor has he himself even been accused of it on this thread, as far as I can see.

There is no such thing as guilt by association, and in my opinion this thread isn't the place to bring up wrongs done by people other than Willie himself.

Spot on.

In my opinion those guilty of the crimes mentioned in this thread should never see the light of day again, but the stuff being said about Willie in this thread since he lost the fight last night is just wrong.

Willie has no choice in who he is related to, and to condemn him for being related to some of the scum that commited those acts is wrong.

I wonder what comments would have been on this thread if he had won last night?

No doubt this thread would have come to life in a big way with loads of "well done Willie" or "he did Limerick proud" from the bandwagon types that have been missing on the thread since he lost.

Those of you on here that have been directly affected by the animals who committed those unforgiveable acts are right to be angry, but you are not right to vent it at a person who did not commit those acts and who was not involved in them.

The man has distanced himself from certain elements of his family, and has no involvement in their criminal activities, but he can do nothing about being related to them.

He has spoken out many times about the importance of education and working for a living, but he cannot force his views onto those that persist on being career criminals and career scum.

The man lost last night to a superior boxer. The questions today should be about things like what is his level and where will he go from now, and not ignorant comments like those from the people that have called him scum and worse on this thread.

cruiser178 wrote: »
    Could you find me a link online to where its alleged that Willie Casey raped someone

Where did i say willy casey raped anyone but his brothers did,i personally know 2 victims.Here have a read of this and tell me willy can sleep happily in his bed at night knowing his family are saints.

http://bocktherobber.com/2006/10/limerick-travellers-protest

He cant choose his family. Should he not be respected even more for getting away from things like that and living a better, crime-free life than some of his family members?

Kess73 wrote: »
    So the fact that the man has distanced himself from a lot of his relatives, and has no contact al all with many means he is running with the pack.:rolleyes:

ffs keep rambling there why dont you.Bottom line,people who think willy did great for this city will agree with your posts but the victims of the caseys will agree with mine,lets hope you and your family are never their victims or YOU will have a different tune to sing.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

I certainly do not begrudge Willie's success and I do admire the way in which he responded to the defeat last night.He is a true sportsman and I wish him well. He is a great and brave boxer and I believe a committed family man but he did meet a superior and highly skilled and experienced opponent. A much needed role model in a benighted and beleaguered city

cruiser178 wrote: »
    ffs keep rambling there why dont you.Bottom line,people who think willy did great for this city will agree with your posts but the victims of the caseys will agree with mine,lets hope you and your family are never their victims or YOU will have a different tune to sing.

No, people with enough about them not to blame a man who had nothing to do with the crimes for what happened may agree with me.

Blame Willie all you want. That is your choice, but I think you are wrong to do so, but I do hope that those that committed acts against your family/friends meet a fate worse than they inflicted upons yours.

I have had experiences of the Caseys since I came back to Limerick, and as I posted on here a few years back, I ended up moving house after where I worked pressed charges on two Caseys as my house and car windows were smashed on a regular basis after that, and I lived nowhere near where any of them lived so they had to make an effort to come and do it.

The fact that I did not have a Limerick accent seemed to spur them on more than the fact I stood in court as a witness against them, but I would do the same again

It is nowhere near the level of abuse and fear that your family/friends had put upon them, but I am not oblivious to certain elements of that family, and I don't hold it against Willie for what they did to my property, but I certainly hold a serious level of resentment towards those that came at me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This thread has descended to levels of bigotry/false/unproven allegations/personal attacks and I am very tempted to to lock it, but I've deleted a lot of disgusting posts and will allow the thread to stay open.

Labeling someone due to their ethnic background or spouting wild allegations of a serious criminal nature will lead to a ban, I haven't banned anyone from this thread, but they will be coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Questioning a moderators decision is against the rules. Demanding a mod do something, is against the rules. Repeatedly bringing up a crime that someone didn't commit as well as name calling is very tedious, personally I had a nice Saturday enjoying Ireland's performance yesterday as well as spending time with my family, this morning I've had a lovely breakfast and a walk with the missus, figured I'd check what's going on here only to discover ALOT of reported posts. Instead of annoying myself, banning people left right and center, I took the decision just to delete any posts bringing up ethnic background/crimes/name calling and give a warning to all. If you don't think what I've done was fair, feel free to bring up a thread in the dispute resolution forum.

Clareman wrote: »
    Questioning a moderators decision is against the rules. Demanding a mod do something, is against the rules. Repeatedly bringing up a crime that someone didn't commit as well as name calling is very tedious, personally I had a nice Saturday enjoying Ireland's performance yesterday as well as spending time with my family, this morning I've had a lovely breakfast and a walk with the missus, figured I'd check what's going on here only to discover ALOT of reported posts. Instead of annoying myself, banning people left right and center, I took the decision just to delete any posts bringing up ethnic background/crimes/name calling and give a warning to all. If you don't think what I've done was fair, feel free to bring up a thread in the dispute resolution forum.

@Clareman,and you grew up in southill you did?you are noone to mod this subject and thats obvious.

@kess,lets put this to bed kess because we will never agree on it,i think you are a very good poster to this forum and always enjoy your posts,just not this time.

cruiser178 banned for 1 week

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've deleted another ten posts for the following reasons:

off-topic; soap-boxing; offensive; racist; personal abuse; back-seat modding;

Cruiser178 can count themselves very lucky Clareman got here before I did today. Their behaviour in this thread was nothing short of despicable, and could easily have resulted in a much longer ban.

Now, let's try to keep this thread on the topic of boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Now, let's try to keep this thread on the topic of boxing.

I think it was a big mistake for his trainers to let Casey take this fight so soon in his career.

Whatever he will turn out to be, at the moment he isn't much more than a puncher, and doesn't have much guile to unlock a tight defence or offer much of a defence himself. Once he came up against somebody with the nous to avoid getting hit with punches (that take a while to get through the air, as they're hooks), he was always going to struggle.

He can view it as part of a learning curve, but he could have learned that lesson in other ways. He has essentially given a blueprint on how to beat him to anybody who fights him (whether they can execute it is, of course, another matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

osarusan wrote: »
    I think it was a big mistake for his trainers to let Casey take this fight so soon in his career.

Whatever he will turn out to be, at the moment he isn't much more than a puncher, and doesn't have much guile to unlock a tight defence or offer much of a defence himself. Once he came up against somebody with the nous to avoid getting hit with punches (that take a while to get through the air, as they're hooks), he was always going to struggle.

He can view it as part of a learning curve, but he could have learned that lesson in other ways. He has essentially given a blueprint on how to beat him to anybody who fights him (whether they can execute it is, of course, another matter).

agree with this totally, he was thrown in at the deep end but dont think it will do him much harm, at least he knows now he is in a different league to world boxing and has to improve on every front, he looked worried going into it, he knew he was going to loose, and how do you have any chance with that in your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I think Mick Dowling hit the nail on the head last night, at his age he just wanted a pay day at the world title shot, world title shots do not come around too often. Willie is a good clever boxer and in the first minute before he got hurt he showed his continuing improvement with his ducking and weaving, not a wise move on his management team to put him in this fight but hey he had the balls to take on probably a guy who is going to be remembered as one of the best boxers in history. Hopefully he will refocus and take a few handy fights before retaking his european title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

he said in an interview some time ago that his manager peters had clout this side of the atlantic ocean, this is why he got the fight against hyland a boxer who took a fight at two weeks notice, willie had eight weeks training for the fight, this is the main reason that he won, last nights fight was against a guy who won two olympic golds, which is a lot of boxing, willie has not had that experience, people need to take in the realatys of the occasion, not being ruled my their hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

200483_154740501253975_100001540776116_338503_2574738_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He took two big blows one to the body that he never recovered from and the first one to the head then topped it off, i was hoping he would get to the bell and have a chance to re group. Lots of boxers wouldn't have been able to keep going after one of those shots never mind the following knock downs.

Fair play to him for getting his title fight.

Advertisement