Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop/Windows Won't Detect DSL Cable

• 01-02-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Having a head wrecking day with this...

I've tested the connection with another laptop so it's definitely present.
    I've plugged the cable into the laptop and the ethernet port is lighting up, which makes me think it is working, but for some reason, the connection isn't...connecting!
    The network icon is not even popping up in the tray.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?
    Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using Windows 7 btw.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Having a head wrecking day with this...

I've tested the connection with another laptop so it's definitely present.
    I've plugged the cable into the laptop and the ethernet port is lighting up, which makes me think it is working, but for some reason, the connection isn't...connecting!
    The network icon is not even popping up in the tray.

Does anybody have any idea why this might be happening?
    Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using Windows 7 btw.

The port lighting up is just a link light, it only shows a basic electrical/physical connection and doesn't guarantee any connectivity.

An icon for the network adapter isn't guaranteed either, as that can be turned off.

Check that in device manager or the the network connections window that the network adapter is detected and working first at least.

With cable plugged in run "ipconfig /all" and post the results here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Spear wrote: »

Check that in device manager or the the network connections window that the network adapter is detected and working first at least.

With cable plugged in run "ipconfig /all" and post the results here.

Ok, I'll give that a shot....I have a feeling that the network adaptor won't be detected.
    If that's the case, what would the solution be?

*Edit - your solution worked a treat, turned out the adaptor was turned off, thanks for your help.

Advertisement