Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North West 200 2011

• 01-02-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭

The race date has now been confirmed for may 21st 2011. If you have never been to this event before it really has to be seen to be appreciated.

more details at;

http://www.northwest200.org/default.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Road racing should be banned. Too many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

650Ginge wrote: »

Now now.. Its a fab sport for anyone involved and spectators alike,, Ok its had a bad run of loosing its stars over the years but not one road racer doesnt know what he/she has signed up to know the risks all too well.
    Anyway im sure this debate has gone on elsewhere so im not gettin into it here,.

As was said, the northwest is a savage event and highly recommended..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Fvck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Fvck off.

Carefull now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

One of the best races in the world, it's easy to see from certain posts above who's been there and who hasn't.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I wish you would start your own thread instead of trying to ruin this one, then we can all voice our opinions, and dissagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

How many?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.C. wrote: »
    Carefull now.

Down with that sort of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

great race......in my calendar now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Any body got any advice for a Day trip to this,
    Where to head for ?
    What time to leave Dublin
    What Day to go
    Where to head for
    Where to park etc keeping in mind getting back out
    Grandstands yes or no ?
    Would be Going by Car but prob bring bicycles to to aid access and getting away early

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Bigus wrote: »
    Any body got any advice for a Day trip to this,
    Where to head for ?
    What time to leave Dublin
    What Day to go
    Where to head for
    Where to park etc keeping in mind getting back out
    Grandstands yes or no ?
    Would be Going by Car but prob bring bicycles to to aid access and getting away early

Thanks in advance

You can stay anywhere from Derry to the antrim coast and still get there in time for racing. Probably not a hope of getting any accomodation in Portrush or portstewart, and I wouldn't bother with Coleraine, personally. Its hard going for a day trip. Traffic gets mental on the day.

You can get into the start/finish/paddocks area before the races start, but you will have to stay till all the racing has finished. The bonus is there are plenty of places to watch, and all the "amenities" are convenient. You'd have enough time between races to move about, but the coast area is where there is more to see. You can pay a few quid to be a spanners length away from the teams mechanics.
    Mathers Cross used to be a great spot to watch, with the bonus of being able to escape before the rush if you know the back roads. However they changed the layout since Robbie's tragic accident, and it isn't as fast as it was. I heard there's a roundabout at the cross now, with a chicaine? They used to go through the bend after the straight at full tilt, the challenge was to try and tell the Honda RC45 from the Ducatis.....
    Ballysally roundabout is a good spot too.

Buy a program on the way into coleraine. If you are in a car, locals will be happy to let you park on their lawn for a few euro, but of course you won't be let back on the main road until after the races finish. Roads close a few hours before racing begins. If you are late, you'll have to see it all from the magic roundabout(unless you navigate your way to the coast road.. not for the faint hearted.

There is one main day of racing, practice happens earlier in the week. If you have the time, it is nice to go up the day before race day, just to get the atmosphere in Portrush.

Best advice is Get into Portrush Early, park in the many designated car parks, and follow the crowd.
    It's just that bit more special if you go by motorbike though, and drive the course with all the other bikers after....

The only firm advice I will give is this though. Obey the speed limits on the way home. The PSNI are there in force, (are quite entertaining, as they use their speed guns during the race on passing bikes) and clampdown on speed on all routes out after. Don't think because you pass one you are in the clear. They don't do things up there like they do it down here.
    And they will catch you...

http://www.northwest200.org/circuit-map.aspx

Oh, and bring sunblock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

Used to love the Northwest. Strap on a tent and head up to the campsite with the lads for a weekend of drinking and watching bikes go fast, it does'nt get much better than that tbh. But these last few years i've found the campsite experience to be a disaster, overpriced, no bikes allowed on the site anymore, boy racers everywhere playing **** rave music from their cages, no campsite fires allowed etc...it's been terrible. I think i'll be going up and returning on the same day this year as i don't want to miss the racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Haven't been up to it in three years and I'm not going to be able to make it up this year either. Shocking really when its so close to me!

Next year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Used to love the Northwest. Strap on a tent and head up to the campsite with the lads for a weekend of drinking and watching bikes go fast, it does'nt get much better than that tbh. But these last few years i've found the campsite experience to be a disaster, overpriced, no bikes allowed on the site anymore, boy racers everywhere playing **** rave music from their cages, no campsite fires allowed etc...it's been terrible. I think i'll be going up and returning on the same day this year as i don't want to miss the racing.

North of the magic roundabout should be a cage free zone.(PSNI excluded)

If I had my way etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

This is a typical stupid comment.

I raced the Irish roads for a few years before been seriously injured at the Manx GP in 2009, i can no longer race due to injuries, but if i was better tomorrow id be straight back out there.

Everyone that has lost there lives or been seriously injured was out doing what they loved. And as people have mentioned we know the risks.

If you don't like it stay away, every time there is a death the do-good brigade jump on the bandwagon with their usual tripe.

Have respect for people who have lost their lives doing what they loved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Lads, anyone know if there is bike racing on bbc or utv this week? my mother was up the north last weekend and she reckons it should be on tv this week but i can't find it on the listings?

Advertisement