Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundried tomatoes in dublin?

• 01-02-2011 10:49pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen them in tesco for 3.40 in oil. 1.50 and 1.99 for dry ones in lidl and 1.69 for 285g of them in oil. I'm trying the latter this evening as this was by far the best I saw, any idea where else does them and for how much?

Are the dry ones any good at all? The oiled ones look so much better and I've only ever tried them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I don't like the dry ones at all. Love them in oil. Got a packet of dry ones in Nolans in Clontarf and they went straight into the bin after trying one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dammit was thinking that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I can't stand the dried ones. They taste like rubber.

I usually buy ones in oil although I do make my own sometimes and they are delish!

cut tomatoes in half
    Put skin side down on tray
    Sprinkle with salt, sugar, pepper
    Pour over some olive oil
    Put some rosemary on top if required
    Put in oven over night at about 80deg Celcius
    Take out and cool
    Put in jar and top with oil to cover.

As long as they are covered they last ages, and there really is no comparisson (and its healthier).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mal1 wrote: »
    I don't like the dry ones at all. Love them in oil. Got a packet of dry ones in Nolans in Clontarf and they went straight into the bin after trying one.
    Did you rehydrate them first?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shezza

any farmers market do the best ones!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dinkie wrote: »
    I can't stand the dried ones. They taste like rubber.

I usually buy ones in oil although I do make my own sometimes and they are delish!

cut tomatoes in half
    Put skin side down on tray
    Sprinkle with salt, sugar, pepper
    Pour over some olive oil
    Put some rosemary on top if required
    Put in oven over night at about 80deg Celcius
    Take out and cool
    Put in jar and top with oil to cover.

As long as they are covered they last ages, and there really is no comparisson (and its healthier).
    Does an oven not use a crazy amount of power doing that, even at low temp?
    Alun wrote: »
    Did you rehydrate them first?
    Was wondering about this, do you rehydrate them in oil or water or something? as they look so bad dried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Does an oven not use a crazy amount of power doing that, even at low temp?

I don't think so. And if you make loads (my parents have tomato plants or else i buy them really cheaply as they are about to go off) at the height of the season, it is probably cheaper then buying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Was wondering about this, do you rehydrate them in oil or water or something? as they look so bad dried.

Yeah, just soak them in hot water a while before you use them. Just a few minutes should do it. They'd be pretty disgusting otherwise! Prefer dried ones to the jarred ones myself, at least I don't have an oily jar to contend with when they're all gone.

i shall try these recipes :D

the 1.50 oiled ones in lidl were lovely I have to say

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah, just soak them in hot water a while before you use them. Just a few minutes should do it. They'd be pretty disgusting otherwise! Prefer dried ones to the jarred ones myself, at least I don't have an oily jar to contend with when they're all gone.

Use the leftover oil for pouring over pasta/salads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭peterofthebr

Ive being looking for the ultimate sundried toms ive located these; i dont have a business or anything..but whats the view on ristoris-semi-dried tomatoes ?...honestly i got a base pizza with sundried tomotoas and i think i would easily sit and watch tv just eating these tomotoas...

Advertisement