Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is "horizons"?

Options
  • 01-02-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I keep hearing people talking about it in relation to UCD but I havn't the foggiest what it is..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Horizons has actually improved a lot of people's experiences in college. Sure it has a few negatives, but the positives outweigh the negatives in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

thanks! refreshing honesty ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I got to learn a bit of Russian out of it. Excellent system that gives you a nice taster into different areas of study just for the sake of it. You can get caught out with a tough module or get a few nice ones. Its a good idea I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Personally I think its utter rubbish. There are limitations:

1) You have to pick a module that works with your degree (e.g. Difficulty / Credits)
    2) It has to fit your timetable (This is a huge problem especially cross discipline)
    3) You have to make sure it won't affect your Masters / Study prospects. For instance, I have to use one Horizons elective with a in-program elective or I'd have to take it again (And pay for it) to sit a Masters.

For those reasons, its purely a marketing ploy in my eyes. I've never studied outside my degree as frankly I don't have the space to maneuver. In addition, why study French etc when you could just further your knowledge in your specific study field? Boring I know but your in college to study a set of specific skills, not Pick-a-Mix.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    For those reasons, its purely a marketing ploy in my eyes. I've never studied outside my degree as frankly I don't have the space to maneuver. In addition, why study French etc when you could just further your knowledge in your specific study field? Boring I know but your in college to study a set of specific skills, not Pick-a-Mix.

Your degree doesn't suit horizons, does not mean that is the same for everybody else. The fact that you can pick in-programme electives (and have only picked them) means it has little impact on you, so you are not exactly the number one person to speak about horizons.

Other degrees are suited to it and have proved useful to those people. Taking 10 credits a year in a language may greatly improve some people's CVs. There could be a dozen different reasons why they feel they would benefit from studying outside their subject field. Some people's future prospects would be greatly enhanced by having a wider span of knowledge. Some careers suit somebody with a proven track record of success in varied fields. That should not be sniffed at.

Also, there is such a thing as learning for knowledge/academic reasons. Too many people think with a career only focus in university.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I like it currently learning Spanish because of Horizons.

Although in first year picked a module in Greek and Roman Civilization which was a disaster, all lectures 9am, never bothered going to most and nearly failed but got a D. lol. I learned my lesson.

Kournikova wrote: »
    I like it currently learning Spanish because of Horizons.

Although in first year picked a module in Greek and Roman Civilization which was a disaster, all lectures 9am, never bothered going to most and nearly failed but got a D. lol. I learned my lesson.

You do know it is possible to make a 9am lecture???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You do know it is possible to make a 9am lecture???

I was an hour late one day and still made my 9am lecture :/

Advertisement