Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hosting a 64man Tournament in Belfast

• 01-02-2011 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Okay guys,

As some of you undoubtedly know, Queen's University run a gaming/anime convention every year in the last weekend of June, and every year the PC gaming community have a pretty poor show. Usually the local gaming outlet runs a small LAN of 8 computers blaring CoD all day (or occasionally DOTA, just to bed rad).

In light of the recent 32man tourney we had in Dublin (and the fact I've been bugging the QCon President previously about lack of representation for PC gamers), I've FINALLY got him to agree to a form of Starcraft LAN. Whether or not this is held at QCon is subject to change, and there is an open AGM next week (Feb the 8th) where I will be suggesting it to the committee.

Should it be discounted from QCon, it's likely to be the same affair as before, except not in a purpose built gaming centre (albeit they do have a ton of equipment to hold a LAN [just no computers ;o]).

Should it be included in QCon, depending on the time and venue within the building, there is likely to be a large audience, spectators, and the possibility of a big screen and live casting. I know this sounds grandeous, but for any of you who've been to QCon before, you'll be aware that literally THOUSANDS of nerds turn out in force, and many of them hang around the gaming area to watch epic battles (normally fighting games). Were this made a major event, there would most definitely be a large crowd.

Given the timeframe that I have to organise this in, I think it's feasible to find 64 players before then, and this thread is simply to gauge interest in the event.

Foreseeable Problems -

a) most of you live Down South.
    b) You may need to bring gaming rigs.

My secret solutions -

a) Get a train you cheap ****ers
    b) If we can get 16 (willing) players to bring computers, we could have 8 games at a time. Not ideal, and the timescale will undoubtedly have to be worked out.

Anyhow, I just want a rough guesstimate as to who would be interested in attending!

Thanks,

CluEleSs!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Sounds awesome, pretty sure I'd make it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

I'd love to go but would NOT be able to get my own PC there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Im in. depending on the date of course. weekends suit me best due to college etc.

If this works out for my schedule, because its in belfast, i can take 4 people + computers in my car.

I drive from waterford --> tipperary --> dublin --> belfast.

I could easily pick up 4 people interested.

as long as the petrol costs are split :p

so, put me down for sure. Id appreciate a spot as im working on sponsors, deals and advertising agreements for the next "official sc2 irish lan event" that we plan to run.

regards,
    mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Should be able to make it up no bother, it's always the last weekend in June?

• Advertisement

damn if its in the summer ill be in america :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 phisku

damn if its in the summer ill be in Belgium :(

phisku wrote: »
    damn if its in the summer ill be in Belgium :(

maybe i should edit my post and put a capital A for america :p

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Man, why do foreigners always have better English than us? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Daenad

Talk to Gory in Pong http://www.pongcentral.co.uk. I know they've supplied PC's to Qcon before and if you can demonstrate that they'll be a lot of sc2 players there they might extend the amount they typically lend.
    As for me I'll be in Sweden so I'll not be able to make it

• Advertisement
Advertisement