Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puddle of Mudd Discussion

Options
  • 02-02-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

what ever happened too these guys. they were big when they first came out with blurry. never hear of them anymore.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Only song I really remember from these guys was "She Hates Me". Seems they are still going, they had an album out in '09. Just seems they aren't as popular over here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭silent sage

I feel compelled to say that one of Puddle of Mudd's songs had a significant effect on my development as an adolescent. I used to repeatedly listen to 'Nobody Told Me' off the 'She Hates Me' single. I think this particular song appealed to my angsty attitude at the time, but more importantly it had a Kurt Cobain like tone of voice/style of lyrics I enjoyed (I can certainly get a sense of Cobain as I listen back to this today). I still appreciate the track after all these years, whether that's due to nostalgia or otherwise - I'm not sure and I'm not bothered.

"Same ol' shit, different day, gotta get up, gotta get up" - powerful shit when you're 14 or 15 :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Had a surprisingly good first album (minus she hates me). Everything else they released just didnt have the same spark to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

To be fair..they have had 3 albums since the breakthrough:

Life on display(2003 I believe)
    Famous(2007)
    Vol 4 (2010)

I think its the fact that they never did do such a crossover mainstream song such as 'She hates me' again, hence why they went under the radar.

Some quality tunes on the later albums though, esp the 'FAMOUS' album which includes 'Psycho' & 'Famous'
    Have their last album(and now cos of this thread I've stuck them on in work). 'Stoned' & 'pitch'in a fit' sound decent.

I think, their sound never evolved at all, so they might sound like they are stuck in 2001, but if you liked it then, you will like it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

cena wrote: »
    what ever happened too these guys. they were big when they first came out with blurry. never hear of them anymore.

They still tour, they had problems with Fred Durst's label too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

This is the track that first brought them to my attention, about 10 years ago. I remember the video getting played a lot at the time, great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

One of those bands that had a few hits and then faded away. Similar in a way to Alien Ant Farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I thought the same thing, although both albums first albums were actually really good (even if 90% of people will only admit it in secret).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've a soft spot for Puddle of Mudd. Wandered into a concert of theirs in Amsterdam just before it all started to kick off for them.

Really enjoyed the gig and had one of those random spontaneous nights that are all too rare.

Cole wrote: »
    This is the track that first brought them to my attention, about 10 years ago. I remember the video getting played a lot at the time, great stuff.

Was that 10 years ago....Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

i can't believe it was that long ago. they did have a good sound going in the first album. do ye think if fred drust wasn't hading anything too do with them would they still know like they were first time.

i see on the facebook page they are planing on a European tour.

THIS is from the page
    Plans for a long overdue European tour are starting take shape.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

cena wrote: »
    i can't believe it was that long ago. they did have a good sound going in the first album. do ye think if fred drust wasn't hading anything too do with them would they still know like they were first time.

i see on the facebook page they are planing on a European tour.

THIS is from the page
    Plans for a long overdue European tour are starting take shape.

Which will not include an Irish Date :) . Could see them doing the festiva circuit during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Puddle of Dung. I didn't particularly like them, putting it nicely, found them very annoying and altogether ****e.

For those who don't know, Puddle of Mudd have been added to the mainstage at Download 2011, which for me is a little disrespectful considering that (although Puddle of Mudd have produced some catchy songs) they have failed to make any impact, or tour whatsoever, in this part of the world at all in the previous 9 years.

For those not keeping count, Wes Scantlin is still lead vocalist, the 2009 return of Philip means that they're the only original members left in the band and also the only two band members present the last time Puddle of Mudd had an impact on the European charts.

Their last album was 2009's 'Songs of Love and Hate' which featured a few notable tracks, catchy at least, especially 'Starship' but when bands like Children of Bodom and Danzig are performing below Puddle of Mudd on 2nd and 3rd stages I would ask why the promoters figured they're mainstage material?

Puddle of Mudd have also announced they plan a full UK (and hopefully Irish leg) tour later in 2011

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I didn't even know they were back together :O

Thread already. about two months ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70414546

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

They had two hit singles though, right? Can't remember the first song they had but the She Hates Me song seemed to get good airplay.

They had two hit singles though, right? Can't remember the first song they had but the She Hates Me song seemed to get good airplay.

And the other one was Blurry
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

They broke up?
    I always thought they just fell away into obscurity because they were crap.
    I remember control being a decent song then blurry getting a lot of play on radio.
    Have no idea how they made it to the mainstage at Download

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Puddle of Mud Anyone?

Nope. :pac:

• Advertisement

I didn't even know they were back together :O

They never split up, they've been releasing in the States to a rather lacklustre response for years....their latest album got a little push by recent standards and someone showed an interest for them to come back to Europe and do a few festivals and/or a tour
    sentient_6 wrote: »
    Puddle of Mud Anyone?

Nope. :pac:

I triple checked it, they definitely used 2 D's in their name

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Threads merged, no need for two of them.

Personally Puddle of Mudd remind me a lot of bands like Nickelback or 3 Doors Down. They're like hard rock for people who don't like hard rock.

Malice wrote: »
    Personally Puddle of Mudd remind me a lot of bands like Nickelback or 3 Doors Down. They're like hard rock for people who don't like hard rock.

Speaking of 3 Doors Down, they did a song a few years back for the American Pie soundtrack

and that song sounds remarkably like an old Ian Hunter solo song when re recorded by Joe Elliott from Def Leppard....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Threads merged, no need for two of them.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I remember listening to Blurry years ago and thinking, "hey this is pretty good". So I was out at HMV one day, and saw Life on Display on the shelf, and decided to buy it. Keeping in mind, I didn't have the internet at the time which is my main source of information on music and I was only starting to get into music at that time. So I wasn't really sure about them, but remembering the song I decided I'd give them a shot and I bought it. At first I thought it was decent and that they were a decent band, but then I sort of stopped listenning to it and them. Then I started getting more and more into music over the years and started becoming more musically aware. Then about two years ago, I was browsing through my albums collection and noticed Life On Display, so I popped it in and I was like, "What the hell was I thinking". The album is pretty bland to me now, and the band are quite bland to me in general as well. Which brings me to my point. They seem to be a band that can appeal to youths or teenagers or older people even who just generally listen to music and don't really mind who's playing. But to people who might be more into music and are more open minded about music, they seem to be a band that just dosen't make the cut. They're bland and that's really it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Really, when they came out, the genre of hard rock/grunge, especially the latter was nearing its end. They were trying to get more out of the genre. I was a fan when younger and liked Control (among the first albums I bought - late developer I know) and later, Life on Display, not as good, some good catchy songs but much of the same - it was repetitive. Then they released a recent one, Famous and that was kack. Although it was associated with a **** time in my life so its reputation was coloured. Now I listen to a track every now and then, but I've grown out of them by a fair margin. For old time's sake, I'm listening to She Hates Me.

They've released a greatest hits collection. The mind boggles why. Suppose it shows the state of the music industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Corporate Grunge! The kind of music that gets sold in American supermarkets to middle-aged people who want to listen to bland rock bands while driving their SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Never cared for them much but this song I did like. Dont know why as its nothing new or different, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Advertisement