Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What cable do I need?

• 02-02-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

I have UPC BB wired directly to my PC with ethernet.

I need to move my PC about 20 feet from where the modem/ router is.(cisco)

Is there a 10m metre cable or an extension cable i could get, and is it a specific type i could use without having to move the modem?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

AFAIK You can get a 10m network cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

You need a 10metre RJ45 patch lead available from Peats
    http://www.peats.ie/

Part No. 690689
    Straight Wired Network Leads 10M 2-3 days €12.99

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Up to 100m is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭barryj

You can find ethernet patch cables online pretty cheaply - you should be able to get a 10m one on Amazon for £5 or less. Whatever you do don't pay the extortionate prices I've seen in some of the computer chain stores - I think I recently saw a price of 40euro for one of these!

- barry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Cat5-e is dirt cheap, even 12.99 is a crazy price, for that you could buy bare cable and the equipment to create you own lengths.
    If you are not in a rush and can wait about 2-3 weeks you can get some for just over a fiver here, reputable site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you shop around you can get a 305m box of cable, a crimper, 100+ RJ45 & RJ11 boots and a cable tester for about €50-60 and make up your own cables.

it's actually quite therapeutic. :)

EDIT: yes, i know it might not be the most practical solution, but i wanted to point out how daft the cost of some of those cables are.

vibe666 wrote: »
    t's actually quite therapeutic. :)

The therapeutic effect wears off rapidly if you've 30 or 40 cables to crimp!

- barry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

barryj wrote: »
    The therapeutic effect wears off rapidly if you've 30 or 40 cables to crimp!
    The difference between a hobbyist and a professional? :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    The difference between a hobbyist and a professional? :)

I once thought it would save the company a few quid if I bought a box of cable and crimped all the cables I needed myself - without realizing quite how long it would take for someone who doesn't use a crimper on a regular basis. I now know that the pre-bought ones are much cheaper if you value your time - and more reliable. I only every crimp my own nowif I need a very long cable run, which is almost never.

- barry

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

if you shop around you can get a 305m box of cable, a crimper, 100+ RJ45 & RJ11 boots and a cable tester for about €50-60 and make up your own cables.

it's actually quite therapeutic.

snap, I bought 305m of Cat6e and crimper/tester/RJ45s for €60 last year when networking my front room and laying cables throughout the house.
    therapeutic
    - you're one sick puppy, sometimes it goes great but mostly a very frustrating job

• Advertisement
Advertisement