Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very simple Mortgage Question

Options
  • 02-02-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

My mortgage repayments are pretty managable at the moments thankfully but i have still quite a large lump sum 2 pay off, Can i pay my mortgage monthly as normal (interest and tiny bit lump sum) and than say pay extra that could be taken directly off the lump sum ? Havent got huge savings but this is my priority, or would i have 2 say have €5-10000 in order 2 pay off part of the lump sum ?

Thanking u for ur help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Yes, its possilbe. Contact your bank to arrange up'ing your DD. This can be done for a set period or until you call in reduce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Thanks very much i much appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

if on a fixed rate you wont be able to overpay, only on variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I looked into doing this a few months back, but my rate is so low (for how much longer?), it wasn't worth it, but as long as you're variable, you should be able to make as many lump sum payments or overpayments as you like.

One thing to check is that a lump sum reduces the term, not the repayments. If you're paying x per year for 10 years, paying a lump sum of say a year's worth should reduce the term by a year, but I think by default they use it to make it so that you're paying y per year for 10 years.

Advertisement