Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Hate Richard Hammond

• 02-02-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

The only one i dislike, he does nothing for the show. Acts as the annoying little brother at times.

Clarkson and May really do work together best, same with Oz!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I used to really like Richard Hammond but this past few seasons he's been just like you said, an annoying little brother. He's changed the way he speaks and its so annoying. He has also "dumbed down" if you know what I mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He's more or less took his role on Brainiac and transplanted it into Top Gear. He's the most obviously scripted thing in the show, it could easily do without him at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ever since he got all the publicity from the crash it seems to have gone to his head a little.
    I cant stand him either, sticks out like a sore thumb. Hes dragging the show down. Without him though top gear would not be a family show IMHO as he brings the childish humor that is aimed towards children/the immature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, Hammond hasn't been the same and has took on this stupid voice he uses for everything..........must be the brain damage kicking in :pac: He always seem to have the most scripted stuff, too.

Clarkson & May work best together as they're the polar opposite of each other and can each deliver good segments on their own.

Wouldn't miss Hammond at all if he took off but I'd lose interest completely if May left.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Steve Coogan described him perfectly in his piece in one of the todays papers. He basically put him down as the pip-squeak who hangs around the school bully (Clarkson).
    Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

Taken from todays Guardian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Steve Coogan described him perfectly in his piece in one of the todays papers. He basically put him down as the pip-squeak who hangs around the school bully (Clarkson).

Taken from todays Guardian
    Can't see Coogan in the reasonbly priced car any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

Taken from todays Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/top-gear-offensive-steve-coogan?intcmp=239

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

OT, but weirdly , I saw almost that exact quote on 4chan yesterday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'll just leave this here:

Hogzy wrote: »
    Ever since he got all the publicity from the crash it seems to have gone to his head a little.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Stewart Lee is so unfunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

hahahaha Gypsies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

James May is a legend :D

He built a real house from lego :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I'll just leave this here:

:pac:

I laughed more when my best friend's mother died of cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Did you really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Then you must be a truly horrible human being.

Re Hammond, when I was 9 I loved Braniac and everything about it, it was 2003 and the living was easy.

He's doing the same thing now - appealing to 9 year olds - and Top Gear is suffering for it hugely, unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Superbus wrote: »

Re Hammond, when I was 9 I loved Braniac and everything about it, it was 2003 and the living was easy.

He's doing the same thing now - appealing to 9 year olds - and Top Gear is suffering for it hugely, unfortunately

Branicac was 2003?? Jaysus where does the time go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Cybertron85

That Coogan quote sums him up exactly, unlike May & Clarkson he doesn't offer anything extra besides being a professional presenter.

May & Clarkson have a distinct personality of their own (even if Clarkson is an annoying, narrow minded prick at times). May is the best thing on the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I like Hammond and if he were to go i for one would miss him :(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Superbus wrote: »

I agree,Top Gear really has suffered for it! Just pure entertainment values..Although I thought JC diving into the snow was hilarious :)

And that comedian has to be the most unfunny stand up Ive ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

dlambirl wrote: »
    I used to really like Richard Hammond but this past few seasons he's been just like you said, an annoying little brother. He's changed the way he speaks and its so annoying. He has also "dumbed down" if you know what I mean...

Exactly, he's dumbed down, whereas he used to be the smart one?:confused:

• Advertisement

culsoh wrote: »
    Exactly, he's dumbed down, whereas he used to be the smart one?:confused:

No, he used to be far more of himself, & far less of a scripted character. Last weeks episode was very good in comparison to the others of this season, without Hammond it would have been deemed much better. He makes the scripting cringingly obvious.

It has dawned on me that Top Gear cannot be placed in normal situations, it exposes the scripting immediately. For instance on motorways etc, you just know that all the cars around them are not real life cars, & are scripted in to make it look real. But in the ar$ehole of Bolivia, the scripting is much less obvious, as there's no real life stuff there to expose it.

Much the same the recent Norway thing. On the lake at the start I was thinking "There's not a hope in hell that's a real lake, the BBC wouldn't be allowed risk the presenters falling down a 1000 meters to the bottom of a lake". Then the lake cracked, proving me wrong if even in that little sense.

However, on the motorway there was nothing real about it, flamethrowers, men on fire, empty villages? It's all too obvious.

I could even tolerate the snow that was blatantly semi-plowed in front of them most of the time, but Hammonds rehearsed reactions for me are the single biggest flaw in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I still quite like him, but he has gotten a bit "mad" in the last few years.

He has admitted openly that the accident a few years back did damage him far more than was obvious at first, and it's become quite obvious just by his face that he's slowly going over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Top Gear is shite. 3 grown men trying to appear like young lads. It's all scripted. Can't understand the appeal.

I found the Mexican debacle embarrassing. They saw the Sky Sports boys acting in a laddish way and got jealous. Days later, and what do you know. Racist and xenophobic jokes about Mexicans.

/facepalm.

Richard Hammond? Little dweeb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Top Gear is shite. 3 grown men trying to appear like young lads. It's all scripted. Can't understand the appeal.

I found the Mexican debacle embarrassing. They saw the Sky Sports boys acting in a laddish way and got jealous. Days later, and what do you know. Racist and xenophobic jokes about Mexicans.

/facepalm.

Top Gear has always made jokes about people of all creeds (including the British and Irish). It's part of the humour of the show and it's worldwide fan base.

This whole debacle is the result of people getting their panties in a twist because they can't accept a stereotype joke.

Signed
    A ginger bearded, potato loving, whiskey drinking, recovering alcoholic Cork man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Hmmm, maybe reading, and posting in, the Top Gear forum isn't really what you should be doing then if you feel that way.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Hmmm, maybe reading, and posting in, the Top Gear forum isn't really what you should be doing then if you feel that way.

So I can only comment if I like Top Gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

well it is the TG forum tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

If you can't understand the appeal, why are you wasting your time reading the forum? It just seems daft. I don't understand the appeal of Pokemon, I see there is a forum for it here on Boards. Take a guess as to what forum I've never read, let alone posted on.

If you can't understand the appeal, why are you wasting your time reading the forum? It just seems daft. I don't understand the appeal of Pokemon, I see there is a forum for it here on Boards. Take a guess as to what forum I've never read, let alone posted on.

Fair enough. I'm outta here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/feb/28/top-gear-richard-hammond

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MorganG831

I honestly find Hammond hilarious on Top Gear because he squeals stupidly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Replace hammond with tiff needell and the show would improve drastically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭nix84

I love TG and I love the Hamster. I think the 3 of them are great together and if he went, although there isn't a fear of me not watching it, I'd be sad. Plus, small and all as he is, he's easier on the eye than the other 2! :D

This baffles me too, it seems to get slated week after week here by the same people. Why watch it? Watch Eastenders or something. Watching something you know is bad just doesn't make sense :confused:

Sundays ep was very good actually. Anything with an F40 in it is gonna be good, the flak the Labour lad got then was brilliant, & the moon thing was good (coz it had James May).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

the only problem i had with the moon buggy segment was the weight.

The thing weighs 4 tonnes. the original weighed 210kg. Considering fuel costs and weight etc that thing was never gonna head to the lunar surface

gatecrash wrote: »
    the only problem i had with the moon buggy segment was the weight.

The thing weighs 4 tonnes. the original weighed 210kg. Considering fuel costs and weight etc that thing was never gonna head to the lunar surface

Agreed, it's more of a tech demo than anything. I doubt it was ever intended to go into space at all. Perhaps as a reuseable thing that's left up there, & they just bring batteries to it for every mission, but doubtful.

Still, anything with May in it is usuallly good for a giggle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement