Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Student

• 02-02-2011 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I'm an american and am most likely transferring to an Irish university this fall. My family is moving there for work so I thought I would take advantage of the opportunity. So I realize that I cannot qualify for the EU free fees but I was wondering how you qualify for the 50% eligibility fees? My father is able to become a citizen of Ireland because of our heritage, so would I therefore also be able to apply for citizenship and save some money in college?

Comments

I had a look around the university website to see what the criteria for 50% fees are but couldn't spot them - you would probably be best off emailing the fees office to ask them what the criteria are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭laoise09

qualifying for the EU fee rate is based on residency for tax purposes. the criteria are posted on the fees office website at http://www.nuigalway.ie/student_fees/fees/fee_noneu_schedule.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Colleen1002003

You cannot have any EU discounts until you are a resident of Ireland for 3 or more years. There is no such thing as 50% off. Does not matter about citizenship. I am an American who gained citizenship by decent. I am currently applying to universities, but will have to pay Non-EU fees as I have not been resident in Ireland for 3 or more years. Depending on what college you choose in Ireland, some of them do accept FAFSA. So ask the universities you are applying to if they have a FAFSA code and you can apply for grants/loans through that. University in Ireland is still significantly cheaper than US universities even with the Non-EU fees.

Advertisement