Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shark fin soup sold in Ireland

• 02-02-2011 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

did anyone watch the Gordon Ramsey documentary on Shark Fin Soup? it was really quite upsetting, the amount of sharks being killed just for there fins (est. 73 million sharks a year). its on 4od (channel 4 online) and i recommend everyone should watch it.

basically sharks are being killed only for there fins and mainly for the now rich chinese economy, before they could not afford it. on cnn today i read an article saying one third of all shark species is going extinct due to this (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/30/shark.finning/index.html?iref=allsearch)

the reason i am posting this is that i just found out the 3 wong restaurants in dublin sell shark fin soup. i'm originally from clontarf and go to wongs a couple of times a year. not anymore!!! is anyone aware of any other restaurants.

http://www.stopsharkfinning.net/boycott-ireland.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

good post.

I hate Ramsey with a deep passion, but managed to overcome that and watched that show - very upsetting stuff. tragic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

ArtSmart wrote: »
    good post.

I hate Ramsey with a deep passion, but managed to overcome that and watched that show - very upsetting stuff. tragic really.

ha i actually agree with you, hes obnoxious but the documentary was brilliant. it was a real eye opener

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Aren't like... a bunch of fish going extinct due to overfishing? And aren't sharks assholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tastes really nice though.

Had lovely battered shark in Galicia over the Christmas. Absolutely gorgeous, can highly recommend it if you see it anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

hmmmm.

maybe after hours is the wrong forum man about town...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Poor George. Who is going to crimebust with him now?

:(

i think your right!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Don't kid yourself, man.about.town. If a shark ever got the chance, he'd eat your arms and the arms of everyone you care about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fin.

*roll credits*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The sad thing isnt paticularly the fact that the shark is killed however the fact that the shark is caught, has its fins cut off while alive and thrown back alive and in agony.

In some asian countries its illegal however the chinese society seem to have missed to boat to when it comes to sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Many species of fish are going extinct from overfishing. The only difference is that people eat more of the animal in these cases. If you're so upset about sharks, why are you not worried about other animals?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The sad thing isnt paticularly the fact that the shark is killed however the fact that the shark is caught, has its fins cut off while alive and thrown back alive and in agony.

In some asian countries its illegal however the chinese society seem to have missed to boat to when it comes to sanity.

that was the worst part i thought.. sure they kill a huge rhino just for its horn and the tiger for its pancreas, there also building a coal fuelled power plant a week for the next ten years... actually its kind of scary to think these soon will probably be the worlds strongest super power. good bye earth

Many species of fish are going extinct from overfishing. The only difference is that people eat more of the animal in these cases. If you're so upset about sharks, why are you not worried about other animals?

i know but fishing is somewhat regulated. shark fins goes unregulated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

the reason i am posting this is that i just found out the 3 wong restaurants in dublin sell shark fin soup. i'm originally from clontarf and go to wongs a couple of times a year. not anymore!!! is anyone aware of any other restaurants.

If you don't tell them why then your boycott is useless, so tell them

And Joe Duffy is the man to get attention for this,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

im just upset about the way their tortured before death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

Oh no, an animal that isnt the norm to be killed and eaten, is being killed and eaten, I must make a fuss about it.

Its an animal, animals get eaten by people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

sherdydan wrote: »
    Oh no, an animal that isnt the norm to be killed and eaten, is being killed and eaten, I must make a fuss about it.

Its an animal, animals get eaten by people.

Yeah, but we don't normall just rip off a pig's leg and leave the rest of the body still alive, writhing in needless agony on the ground...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

What about the thousands of brown crab who used to get their claws snapped off and then were thrown back in, unable to fend for themselves, and slowly starved to death?

Oh right, they're less cool than sharks. I forgot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

Einhard wrote: »
    Yeah, but we don't normall just rip off a pig's leg and leave the rest of the body still alive, writhing in needless agony on the ground...

because pretty much all of the pig tastes pretty good!

the rest of the shark probably tastes shíte

• Advertisement

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    What about the thousands of brown crab who used to get their claws snapped off and then were thrown back in, unable to fend for themselves, and slowly starved to death?

well jimi, your right that does sound horrific. but hey you gotta start somewhere, i can actually make a difference by boycotting a restaurant that i frequent.

pigs are farmed and arent going extinct!!! im not a marine biologist but im pretty sure if you remove the oceans apex predator, its not good for the ocean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

im pretty sure if you remove the oceans apex predator, its not good for the ocean

Man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

well jimi, your right that does sound horrific. but hey you gotta start somewhere, i can actually make a difference by boycotting a restaurant that i frequent.

Nah I was only being trite to make a point. Its no great loss anyway, I wouldn't have thought shark fin soup in Dublin would be terribly fresh...

i know but fishing is somewhat regulated. shark fins goes unregulated

There are many species of fish, and whole areas of the oceans, under threat from overfishing.
    im just upset about the way their tortured before death

A lot of animal live in horrible conditions for months or years before they're slaughtered.
    Einhard wrote: »

No we lock them up in crowded conditions where they turn to cannibalism out of madness.

There are many species of fish, and whole areas of the oceans, under threat from overfishing.

A lot of animal live in horrible conditions for months or years before they're slaughtered.

No we lock them up in crowded conditions where they turn to cannibalism out of madness.

yup, the worlds not perfect.. its a pretty messed up place but you gotta start somewhere, among many things i always buy free range eggs and free range chicken breasts and now will no longer go to wongs clontarf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the Chinese, a great bunch of lads, with their unending desire for the satisfaction of every mad insatiable craving they have for consuming the bodily parts of endangered species

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

3 wongs don't make a right.

yup, the worlds not perfect.. its a pretty messed up place but you gotta start somewhere, among many things i always buy free range eggs and free range chicken breasts and now will no longer go to wongs clontarf.

Yeah it is a start. I just wish people had a bit more respect for animals it's seen as ok to kill, instead of just those that are a bit more exotic. Out of interest, do you make sure that the eggs and chicken as ingredients in processed food and food you but when out of the house are free range?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jimi_t2 wrote: »

The correct phrase is charismatic megafauna. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

stovelid wrote: »
    The correct phrase is charismatic megafauna. :)

Rite own up how many people googled charismatic megafauna after reading this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Its good your starting somewhere. I started there and ended up vegitarian 15 years ago. Shark fining is particularly horrific though. A mate did a demo where she suspended herself by hooks through her back to highlight the cruelty involved

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

pigs are farmed and arent going extinct!!! im not a marine biologist but im pretty sure if you remove the oceans apex predator, its not good for the ocean

The brother, apex twin, will just take over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

martic wrote: »
    Rite own up how many people googled charismatic megafauna after reading this
    Not me. I am that much of a pseud.

Yep the Chinese as a general notion can be a cruel lot when it comes to food animals. Seems to be an Asian culture thing, boiling cats alive etc, still alive snakes etc and all the dopey "chinese medicine" quackery. They'll also eat damn near anything, but that's a good thing. More flexible(though the amount of small animals that are on the verge of extinction is less good).

That said Europeans are as bad when it comes to waste. The quota system for fishing is daft and the tonnage thrown back dead is unreal. We're destroying the sea at a scary rate. W tend to be inflexible in food choices. "Ohhh I'll have fish so long as its cod". :rolleyes:

Then we have the US, the most wasteful nation on earth. Though if the Chinese want a SUV in every driveway, goodbye world.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

sugarman wrote: »
    Did'nt know anywhere here served it, must give it a try!

Indeed. Sounds quite tempting.

I really don't get this attitude. "Yeah well other animals are dying too". Yes, they are. Do we all have time to campaign for everything at once? No. So does that mean we should just not bother because somewhere out there another animal is dying? Cop on :rolleyes::mad:

It is terrible, so is ripping off ivory tusks, bashing seals, and throwing dead fish back into the water :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

did anyone watch the Gordon Ramsey documentary on Shark Fin Soup? it was really quite upsetting, the amount of sharks being killed just for there fins (est. 73 million sharks a year). its on 4od (channel 4 online) and i recommend everyone should watch it.

basically sharks are being killed only for there fins and mainly for the now rich chinese economy, before they could not afford it. on cnn today i read an article saying one third of all shark species is going extinct due to this (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/30/shark.finning/index.html?iref=allsearch)

Hate that Kind of Sh1t:( you should also watch the documentary "The Cove"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Apparently the soup tastes pretty bland too.

What's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What's wrong with a good vegetable soup?

The shìte some people will eat...

• Advertisement

Duggy747 wrote: »
    What's wrong with a good vegetable soup?

The shìte some people will eat...

dead right. I make amazing vegetable soup. nicest thing in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Apparently the soup tastes pretty bland too.

What's the point?
    According to the Gordan Ramsey documentary it's a status symbol thing, shark fin is very expensive apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

zero19 wrote: »
    According to the Gordan Ramsey documentary it's a status symbol thing, shark fin is very expensive apparently.
    Same with birds nest soup. Tastes of bugger all with the consistency of snot but very pricey.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Kold wrote: »
    Aren't like... a bunch of fish going extinct due to overfishing? And aren't sharks assholes?

So is tuna, but you know we like tuna and Japanese food is cool.

Seriously shark fishing should be controlled and eating it discouraged but what about the fish you eat yourself, cod is almost completely wiped out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Wibbs wrote: »

Yep the Chinese as a general notion can be a cruel lot when it comes to food animals. Seems to be an Asian culture thing, boiling cats alive etc, still alive snakes etc and all the dopey "chinese medicine" quackery. They'll also eat damn near anything, but that's a good thing. More flexible(though the amount of small animals that are on the verge of extinction is less good).

That said Europeans are as bad when it comes to waste. The quota system for fishing is daft and the tonnage thrown back dead is unreal. We're destroying the sea at a scary rate. W tend to be inflexible in food choices. "Ohhh I'll have fish so long as its cod". :rolleyes:

Then we have the US, the most wasteful nation on earth. Though if the Chinese want a SUV in every driveway, goodbye world.

Most Chinese would not promote cruelty and it is only one subset of Chinese that really go into eating wildlife. Sure Chinese and Asians have a lot to learn but they are getting there slowly. Why not talk about Africa where bushmeat is a huge part of the diet. Chinese are a soft target sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Same with birds nest soup. Tastes of bugger all with the consistency of snot but very pricey.

Just made of twigs and moss is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Just made of twigs and moss is it?

It's made from saliva, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

i'm originally from clontarf and go to wongs a couple of times a year. not anymore!!!

Are you vegetarian?

They do a top notch shredded chicken starter. Not the freshest of places I will admit. If you order the Special H'odourves they arrive in like 2 minutes and you can tell it's all just been microwaved (no effort involved). I do love Wongs though. The service is so annoying though, they harrass you, every second they ask if you're alright.

"Listen love,of course I'm alright, if I want you, I'll call you"

basically if its described as a 'delicacy' it either tastes of snot or involves testicles but you definetely are a knob for buying it

Yeah it's easy to be critical of other cultures but people in the West are just as bad. Whether you like it or not, fur is a big thing in this part of the world and most people who support that don't know or care that the animals are raised on horrible conditions and often skinned alive, left to die excruciating
    deaths.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I really don't get this attitude. "Yeah well other animals are dying too". Yes, they are. Do we all have time to campaign for everything at once? No. So does that mean we should just not bother because somewhere out there another animal is dying? Cop on :rolleyes::mad:

It is terrible, so is ripping off ivory tusks, bashing seals, and throwing dead fish back into the water :mad:

You're right in that most people don't have time to campaign for ending animal cruelty but I don't think anyone was suggesting that. At least one person has said that they will no longer give business to a restaurant that sells shark fin soup and there are campaigns to lobby restaurants that serve foie gras. But I'd imagine that the majority if these people will continue to eat the old reliables of beef, pork and chicken, even though they could simply stop, if only they actually cared.

I'm not suggesting that everyone go vegan. I know a lot of people don't really care how animals are treated and care more about their own appetites, so I think it's hypocritical to single out particular species you feel it's not ok to eat, just because it's not what you're used to. Either it's all ok or none of it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement