Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shark fin soup sold in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    What about the thousands of brown crab who used to get their claws snapped off and then were thrown back in, unable to fend for themselves, and slowly starved to death?

Oh right, they're less cool than sharks. I forgot.

Stone crabs? Well no I do have a problem with that too actually

the Chinese, a great bunch of lads, with their unending desire for the satisfaction of every mad insatiable craving they have for consuming the bodily parts of endangered species

And stupid enough to belieive rhino horn is an aphrodisiac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I just gave Wongs a "review" on menupages. I somehow don't think it will printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

steddyeddy wrote: »
    And stupid enough to belieive rhino horn is an aphrodisiac.

Better off using one as a strap-on, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

steddyeddy wrote: »
    im just upset about the way their tortured before death

This.

Join PETA if you're so upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

If eating shark fin is wong, then I don't want to be right.

flyton5 wrote: »
    This.

peta arent hands on enough I prefer the animal liberation front ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mikom wrote: »
    Man?

Yep, the very one who invented shark cages. We may be more intelligent, but then intelligence is relevent isn't it. You don't see sharks/dolphin/whales/bears/tigers/rhinos going around killing each other in the name of different deities, or knowingly destroying their environment. For all our 'intelligence', mankind has a very dumb way of showing it. We're more like a plague if anything, which is unfortunate for the other inhabitants of the planet.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yep, the very one who invented shark cages. We may be more intelligent, but then intelligence is relevent isn't it. You don't see sharks/dolphin/whales/bears/tigers/rhinos going around killing each other in the name of different deities, or knowingly destroying their environment. For all our 'intelligence', mankind has a very dumb way of showing it. We're more like a plague if anything, which is unfortunate for the other inhabitants of the planet.

http://www.jonburgerman.com/images/uploads/BP11badge.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

bluewolf wrote: »
    I really don't get this attitude. "Yeah well other animals are dying too". Yes, they are. Do we all have time to campaign for everything at once? No. So does that mean we should just not bother because somewhere out there another animal is dying? Cop on :rolleyes::mad:

It is terrible, so is ripping off ivory tusks, bashing seals, and throwing dead fish back into the water :mad:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sea kitten fin soup you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

There's something fishy going on in this thread. It just seems wong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

maninasia wrote: »
    So is tuna, but you know we like tuna and Japanese food is cool.

Seriously shark fishing should be controlled and eating it discouraged but what about the fish you eat yourself, cod is almost completely wiped out.

North Atlantic stock is in danger. Pacific stock is suppose to be stable.

Is all tuna in danger? I thought it was just the blue fin species

:confused:

aka "fishing quotas"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah it's easy to be critical of other cultures but people in the West are just as bad. Whether you like it or not, fur is a big thing in this part of the world and most people who support that don't know or care that the animals are raised on horrible conditions and often skinned alive, left to die excruciating
    deaths.

What advantage is it to a furrier to skin a mink alive? Does it make the fur better somehow? It sounds kind of tricky to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Plenty of animals kill each other over territory or food. The former nearly always being the case for human wars, and sometimes the latter too.

Plenty of animals kill each other over territory or food.

That's nature though. Do you think a shark kills a man because the shark didn't like the way the man looks at him? Or because the man didn't agree with the ideals of the shark?

There will always be death,killing etc in the natual world. We wouldn't be here otherwise. But killing a Tiger because you think it's gall bladder will increase your sexual prowess, that's not intelligence, it's barbarism. Something I can't quite explain, but no other animal fails to live up to it's potential here on the planet..no other animal except mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

I ate shark (cooked obviously) once upon a time in Spain.Its a bland tasting meat and quite rubbery in texture from as fasr as I remember.I was 13 or 14 at the time so cant be exact on the details.Not proud of it, ...not ashamed of it either ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

That's nature though. Do you think a shark kills a man because the shark didn't like the way the man looks at him? Or because the man didn't agree with the ideals of the shark?

There will always be death,killing etc in the natual world. We wouldn't be here otherwise. But killing a Tiger because you think it's gall bladder will increase your sexual prowess, that's not intelligence, it's barbarism. Something I can't quite explain, but no other animal fails to live up to it's potential here on the planet..no other animal except mankind.

The difference between people and animals is we are self aware and have more developed higher intelligence. I don't think this in and of itself makes people evil. You give only examples showing people in a bad light. It's a bit lop sided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

The method of getting shark fin soup is very disturbing. The poor shark is caught and then dumped back into into the sea after having its fins sliced off, therefore cannot swim or eat any more. Can you imagine what is going through the sharks mind? How can people be so cruel to animals?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

They grow back ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

knird evol wrote: »
    They grow back ffs

No, the poor shark either drowns or bleeds to death. A sharks fins do not grow back. Shark fin soup is an abomination.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

knird evol wrote:
    The difference between people and animals is we are self aware and have more developed higher intelligence. I don't think this in and of itself makes people evil. You give only examples showing people in a bad light. It's a bit lop sided.

I was waiting on that little gem from someone. Ok so, explain to me how anything without opposable thumbs and/or vocal chords isn't self aware or intelligent. This, should be good...

Worztron wrote: »
    Can you imagine what is going through the sharks mind?

SWIM
    EAT
    SHIT
    SWIM
    EAT
    SHIT

etc etc.

I was waiting on that little gem from someone. Ok so, explain to me how anything without opposable thumbs and/or vocal chords isn't self aware or intelligent. This, should be good...

The question I was asking you was more in the direction of why you could only see how man has used his knowledge and understanding of the world for bad. You see no good at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

flyton5 wrote: »
    This.

Idiotic, callous post.

The question I was asking you was more in the direction of why you could only see how man has used his knowledge and understanding of the world for bad. You see no good at all?

A lot of good....heavily outweighed by a lot more bad. For 'the most intelligent' species on the planet, we've some way of showing it. Turn on the news there for the live pictures, that doesn't happen in the middle of the Serengeti I can assure you of that ;)

You really believe humans are the only self aware animals?
    "Dolphins are sophisticated, self-aware, highly intelligent beings with individual personalities, autonomy and an inner life. They are vulnerable to tremendous suffering and psychological trauma,"

Source

That doesn't stop us slaughtering them by the thousands, & leaving them to die in their own blood so we can eat their meat though does it? But then again, they can't speak so they arn't aware/don't suffer/don't feel pain etc etc.

The reality is they do speak, we just can't understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I saw the Gordon Ramsey documentary too.
    Its sad how the shark is dying... but seriously, is it any worse than chickens, pigs or cows?

There has been plenty of documentaries that shows the horrors of such other animals but we dont boycot them.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I saw the Gordon Ramsey documentary too.
    Its sad how the shark is dying... but seriously, is it any worse than chickens, pigs or cows?

There has been plenty of documentaries that shows the horrors of such other animals but we dont boycot them.

If those animals are kept in good condions & are humanely killed, then yes it is different. As I said that's nature, we've survived by learning to farm animals & use them for food. Killing a shark in a brutal manner, & throwing it's dismembered body thats still alive back into the water, while feasting on its fin to impress your busniess clients isn't exactly farming is it? It shows our true nature, greedy, vain & ignorant.

• Advertisement

A lot of good....heavily outweighed by a lot more bad. For 'the most intelligent' species on the planet, we've some way of showing it. Turn on the news there for the live pictures, that doesn't happen in the middle of the Serengeti I can assure you of that ;)

Source

That doesn't stop us slaughtering them by the thousands, & leaving them to die in their own blood so we can eat their meat though does it? But then again, they can't speak so they arn't aware/don't suffer/don't feel pain etc etc.

The reality is they do speak, we just can't understand them.

Ah maybe you're right.
    People are scum.

Kunts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Do you honestly think that if a shark got the chance, it wouldn't eat you?

I'm a firm believer in getting my retaliation in early.

Do you honestly think that if a shark got the chance, it wouldn't eat you?

I'm a firm believer in getting my retaliation in early.

Is it going to eat you because it's hungry? Or because it wants to show off to all the other sharks?

Definately the later. Shark are notorious arseholes and like nothing more than boasting to their mates about how many kids they chewed up that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Source

Wait, sharks are dolphins now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

did anyone watch the Gordon Ramsey documentary on Shark Fin Soup? it was really quite upsetting, the amount of sharks being killed just for there fins (est. 73 million sharks a year). its on 4od (channel 4 online) and i recommend everyone should watch it.

basically sharks are being killed only for there fins and mainly for the now rich chinese economy, before they could not afford it. on cnn today i read an article saying one third of all shark species is going extinct due to this (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/30/shark.finning/index.html?iref=allsearch)

the reason i am posting this is that i just found out the 3 wong restaurants in dublin sell shark fin soup. i'm originally from clontarf and go to wongs a couple of times a year. not anymore!!! is anyone aware of any other restaurants.

http://www.stopsharkfinning.net/boycott-ireland.htm

thats dinner sorted

Lumen wrote: »
    Wait, sharks are dolphins now?

Food is food ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

shark fin soup is just a status symbol. It doesn't taste good in fact its the blandest soup you can get...
    The main point is its just animal cruelty
    Its like cutting a lions legs off and leaving him to bleed out in the wild.
    Cruelty is cruelty wherever it raises its head.

There are over 400 species of sharks and most wouldnt bother eating you - what 'shark finners' are doing are killing the oceans top predators (something like 70 million a year) - doing this destabilizes the food chain = unknown consequences, likely a hell of a lot more species will die out/your food will be gone.

• Advertisement

An important lesson I think we could learn from Jaws 3, is that not alone do individual sharks hold a grudge - but as a species they don't forget a certain police chief or even his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

If those animals are kept in good condions & are humanely killed, then yes it is different. As I said that's nature, we've survived by learning to farm animals & use them for food. Killing a shark in a brutal manner, & throwing it's dismembered body thats still alive back into the water, while feasting on its fin to impress your busniess clients isn't exactly farming is it? It shows our true nature, greedy, vain & ignorant.

I know what you're saying man. But i saw a bbc documentary on slaughterhouses 2 years ago. A pig was having a heart attack... didnt make any odds. Slit its throat anyways.

Im not saying thats its ok to kill a shark for its fin and dump it in the ocean while its still alive. Of course its wrong. But, its a contradiction isnt it, because what about the other animals.

An important lesson I think we could learn from Jaws 3, is that not alone do individual sharks hold a grudge - but as a species they don't forget a certain police chief or even his family

Funny, the lesson I got from that film is that it's criminal to even call it a 'film' :pac:

LighterGuy wrote: »
    ...because what about the other animals.

I've no problem eating other animals - chicken, beef, fish yes they are on the earth to provide me with fuel... a lot of them are sustainable and can be farmed.

But eating the fin of a predator/something that keeps the food chain in balance/something that there are few left of - something that was killed horrifically - just for some bland soup - just to say you ate shark fin... its dumb, illogical, wrong, cruel etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Pigs feet are also sold in Ireland... (Shudder...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

did anyone watch the Gordon Ramsey documentary on Shark Fin Soup? it was really quite upsetting, the amount of sharks being killed just for there fins (est. 73 million sharks a year). its on 4od (channel 4 online) and i recommend everyone should watch it.

basically sharks are being killed only for there fins and mainly for the now rich chinese economy, before they could not afford it. on cnn today i read an article saying one third of all shark species is going extinct due to this (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/01/30/shark.finning/index.html?iref=allsearch)

the reason i am posting this is that i just found out the 3 wong restaurants in dublin sell shark fin soup. i'm originally from clontarf and go to wongs a couple of times a year. not anymore!!! is anyone aware of any other restaurants.

http://www.stopsharkfinning.net/boycott-ireland.htm

I've eaten that dish there a ton. Was always very sceptical that it was actually a real shark fin soup though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

What advantage is it to a furrier to skin a mink alive? Does it make the fur better somehow? It sounds kind of tricky to do.

I'm not an expert on the subject or anything, but I think most of the time it's due to inefficient killing rather than maliciousness.

Edit: Locust, what makes you think these animals are here merely for your benefit and why is it only the ones you find appetising that it's ok to eat? Surely if animals are just here to satisfy our stomachs, we can do whatever we want with them. And would it be ok to eat shark fins if we farmed sharks specifically for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

I watched a documentary recently about dolphin slaughter in Japan. It's called The Cove and you can watch the full thing on youtube. It was by far the most shocking/eye-opening film I've ever seen :(

I'm not an expert on the subject or anything, but I think most of the time it's due to inefficient killing rather than maliciousness.

Edit: Locust, what makes you think these animals are here merely for your benefit and why is it only the ones you find appetising that it's ok to eat? Surely if animals are just here to satisfy our stomachs, we can do whatever we want with them. And would it be ok to eat shark fins if we farmed sharks specifically for them?

Do whatever we want to them? I dont think that includes multilating them and dumping the half alive corpses...

But - Chicken fish beef etc...
    Are put there for me to survive/eat/grow and enjoy in a meal.
    Not just providing me with vitamins/nutrients for my body but... taste good... and are appetising

Guess what - i am a higher form of life and will enjoy consuming them, (repsectfully i appreciate them).

I do draw the line with cruelty & wastefulness and the upset/end of a species.
    I.e. i would go for coley fish over cod/haddock etc... as cod are over fished - give them a break (coley being a close relative of cod but largely unknown).

Farm sharks??
    I'm not really that into eating shark fin soup, the body of the shark is useless for eating (apparently - its a predator fish) so i consider it cruel/wasteful but yeah if we farmed them and there was a purpose/use for them in a dish or somewhere else for them i've no issue with eating them.

But so far its cruel/wasteful - mussels, coley, mackrel etc... are readily available and guess what they just happen make my body stay alive and thrive! why not give the over fished species a break and consume the others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got to say, flake (gummy shark) is lovely in Australia. I loved going to the fish & chip shop, that was fishmongers during the day, for some grub.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Fish farming is not sustainable at the moment, I think you need to feed 1kg of Salmon 5kg of other fish during production.
    It's never going to happen but we really need to leave the seas in Europe alone for a couple of years, just ban the majority of fishing outright. I could easily go without fish for that long as could most people. But it will never happen as humans are greedy by nature. It's just another step to the destruction of the planet which is inevitable while humans are running the planet. Sigh...

• Advertisement
Advertisement