Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online motor insurance rip off

Options
  • 02-02-2011 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I was due to renew my motor policy with a well known online insurance company this week. I went to renew online last night and pay the €360 being asked. Unfortunately (as I thought at the time), the facility to do this online was not available so I thought I would just enter the same details again and am glad I did as the quote came out at €90 cheaper! I'm looking forward to talking to a telephone representative from that company today - "Oh, you need my no claims cert - try your own archives!".Do they just quote a high figure on renewal and hope people don't check? I nearly did and will certainly never be fooled in the future with regard to insurance renewals...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If insured through the AA, its always advisable to ring up to renew, rather than just pay online - they always seem to offer me an additional discount once I talk to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RaoulPuke

Hi,
    I had similar situation. I'm with AA. I believe they try offer "new" customers a lower rate to entice them. I had a lower quote when I reapplied online instead of taking the one they sent out. I took the lower quote and never rang them.
    This year I rang and haggled (argued?) a few extra euros off.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

I rang them back and expressed surprise that as a new customer I would be €90 better off and he offered me the excuse that a new rate had come out in the last few weeks since my quote issued and that's why it was so much lower. I put him on the spot and asked would I be offered that price had I been unaware when ringing up to renew my policy and he claimed I would have been but his hesitance in responding makes me believe I would not and makes me doubt whether or not the rate reduction is the full story. There have been fibs somewhere along the way but I can't be too cross because I've saved a bunch of money and it's made me more aware of how careful to be when renewing insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    I was due to renew my motor policy with a well known online insurance company this week. I went to renew online last night and pay the €360 being asked. Unfortunately (as I thought at the time), the facility to do this online was not available so I thought I would just enter the same details again and am glad I did as the quote came out at €90 cheaper! I'm looking forward to talking to a telephone representative from that company today - "Oh, you need my no claims cert - try your own archives!".Do they just quote a high figure on renewal and hope people don't check? I nearly did and will certainly never be fooled in the future with regard to insurance renewals...

Yes :confused: Because a lot of people dont
    I wish mine was 360 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

The new risk could be underwritten with a different company. A well known online provider was purchased by an insurance compnay since your last renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I saved €200 when I shopped around this year. Got the quote from axa online. I rang quinn to see of they could match but they said all they could drop was about €40. I have been with Quinn for 4 years.

It seems that they'll always drop some amount, they have a certain amount of leeway but they just couldn't drop €200.

Advertisement