Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could person agree to pay years rent even though house will be idle?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Case example:
    Someone is living in a city corporation house on their own and wanted to leave to travel for a year. Could he/she agree to pay the years rent even though the house will be idle? That would be preferred than returning to Ireland with no place to live.

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

Case example:
    Someone is living in a city corporation house on their own and wanted to leave to travel for a year. Could he/she agree to pay the years rent even though the house will be idle? That would be preferred than returning to Ireland with no place to live.

Thanks.
    dun laoghaire rathdown allow you 6 months.would suggest you call in to the housing section where you are and ask them.councils have different rules.best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Can you not get it done by direct debit and lodge your money into your account ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I thought social welfare was based on savings as well.

How can you have enough to go travelling, pay a years rent and still have a corpo house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Jumpy wrote: »

How can you have enough to go travelling, pay a years rent and still have a corpo house?

+1

This bloody country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I didnt see where op said he was on social welfare, also not all people want to get caught up in the Irish compulsion that we all must buy our houses,As well as some people could never get on the property ladder some people like to rent, nothing wrong with renting instead of buying,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Have I gone blind? Where does it say anything about Social Welfare?

If you can arrange to pay rent by Direct Debit and have a family member/friend check monthly for any Corporation mail, I couldn't see a problem.

So Corpo housing does not equal Social housing?

Actually I am mistaken.
    You dont need to be on SW.

However.
    Before you send us the form, make you sure you meet these criteria:

* You are 18 years of age or over.
    * You live in Ireland or are legally entitled to live in Ireland.
    * You need housing.
    * You are unable to provide accommodation from your own resources.
    * If you are single, your income must not have been more than €32,000 in the previous year.
    * If you are a couple, your combined income must not have been more than €38,500 in the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Worztron

This is a case example. It does not refer to me.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

realies wrote: »
    I didnt see where op said he was on social welfare, also not all people want to get caught up in the Irish compulsion that we all must buy our houses,As well as some people could never get on the property ladder some people like to rent, nothing wrong with renting instead of buying,

Thank you realies. s_carnage & Jumpy were jumping to conclusions with no facts.

• Advertisement

realies wrote: »

I also rent. However since I do not fall under the required category to get a corporation house, I am not entitled.

It however appears that the person who the OP refers to also is not entitled due to significant savings that could be used to pay for standard rent with the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭RoisinDove

I can't think of one possible scenario where you'd need a corpo house and yet have enough money to travel for a year. Why wouldn't the person use that money to pay market rate rent like the rest of us? I'd really hope the corpo would tell you where to go if you made such a ridiculous request, but knowing this country, they probably wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't see why they don't put their stuff in storage, and save the rent money for a deposit on their return. Also, if they can save up for a year long holiday, they can afford to rent normally, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

even the hypotehtical nature of this question makes my blood boil.

If there are people out there who can afford to pay a years rent and go travelling for a year they shouldnt be getting anything from the corpo.

Besides this Id have to ask why would somebody do that. Pay a years rent versus a years storage costs and the rest of the money sitting in a deposit account earning them interest for them to rent when they return.

The only logical conclusion I can make is that somebody wanting to do this would be for benefit fraud reasons. Claiming welfare allowances whilst not in the country and using the rent as "proof of residence"

OP, how much rent are you (or the someone referred to) paying for the property?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd check the hypothetical tenancy agreement, OP.

I'd be pretty sure that there would be a clause pertaining to residency in it somewhere. Either that, or leaving the house unoccupied.

* You are 18 years of age or over.
    * You live in Ireland or are legally entitled to live in Ireland.
    * You need housing.
    * You are unable to provide accommodation from your own resources.
    * If you are single, your income must not have been more than €32,000 in the previous year.
    * If you are a couple, your combined income must not have been more than €38,500 in the previous year.

If someone qualifies for renting off the corporation it is inconceivable that they can afford to travel for a year. I would like to know what this someone does for a living and what they intend doing with their job while they are gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

If this really is only a hypothetical situation then the OP is just trolling.

This kind of situation would obviously provoke a reaction from people who are being screwed over weekly with taxes for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Zamboni wrote: »

Obviously. OP just thinks he's so much more entitled than the rest of us. I've never heard anything quite this ridiculous. Go travelling and expect to have your cheap corpo house waiting when you get back. Priceless. :rolleyes: Sometimes I wonder why I don't just spend my time working out ways to scam the SW. I haven't been able to afford a holiday in years.

• Advertisement

Zamboni wrote: »

I thought it might have been for a SW scam, which seems more likely given the above thread.

Whats the Boards policy on threads like this ? I would like tho think they forward the thread and IP address details of the OP to the Department of Social Welfare.

I certainly will be emailing the screenshotted threads to them for investigation.

Hold on everybody. This has gotten completely out of hand. Firstly I am not going away as this is just a hypothetical question. Secondly I don't have much money and if I did go away I'd obviously have to find work.

Why don't people get all the facts before making accusations about people!

This quote seems apt for the replies to this thread:
    Mark Twain: A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.

dory wrote: »
    If this really is only a hypothetical situation then the OP is just trolling.

This kind of situation would obviously provoke a reaction from people who are being screwed over weekly with taxes for this kind of thing.

This is a hypothetical situation and I am not trolling.

D3PO wrote: »
    I thought it might have been for a SW scam, which seems more likely given the above thread.

Whats the Boards policy on threads like this ? I would like tho think they forward the thread and IP address details of the OP to the Department of Social Welfare.

I certainly will be emailing the screenshotted threads to them for investigation.

This is no scam, I am insulted by that accusation. The other thread has nothing to do with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

This is no scam, I am insulted by that accusation. The other thread has nothing to do with this one.

OP for FFS can you not see how the thread looks esp coupled with your other thread? How can people not think they are related given the topics. Also saying something is hypothetical doesn't mean you can ask any and all questions without people asking why...I mean why are you interested? Either you are planning to do this, know someone who is planning to do this or you are really bored and just thought you'd see how people on boards thought various hypothetical situations might work out....somehow the later option isn't so likely now is it?

Hold on everybody. This has gotten completely out of hand. Firstly I am not going away as this is just a hypothetical question. Secondly I don't have much money and if I did go away I'd obviously have to find work.

Why don't people get all the facts before making accusations about people!

This quote seems apt for the replies to this thread:
    Mark Twain: A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes.

Because who on earth comes on a message board and asks a 'hypothetical question' like that? Someone who is planning to do it, that's who.

RoisinDove wrote: »
    Because who on earth comes on a message board and asks a 'hypothetical question' like that? Someone who is planning to do it, that's who.

No, I am not going anywhere. Don't be so quick to accuse people of wrong doing.

ztoical wrote: »
    OP for FFS can you not see how the thread looks esp coupled with your other thread? How can people not think they are related given the topics. Also saying something is hypothetical doesn't mean you can ask any and all questions without people asking why...I mean why are you interested? Either you are planning to do this, know someone who is planning to do this or you are really bored and just thought you'd see how people on boards thought various hypothetical situations might work out....someone the later option isn't so likely now is it?

Hi ztoical. Yes, I agree with you. Looking back now I can see how people can view this thread coupled with the other thread. I can assure you and all that I mean no harm. Peace.

1. I didnt say its a scam I said it looks like a scam.

2. If this is genuinely hypothisis then you would have no no issue with DSW investigating the detial of this thread.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    1. I didnt say its a scam I said it looks like a scam.

2. If this is genuinely hypothisis then you would have no no issue with DSW investigating the detial of this thread.

Hello D3PO. Yes I agree with you, after thinking over about this thread – I can see how this could look like a scam. I reiterate again that this is not a scam and it was a hypothetical question.

Advertisement