Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tilt/shift and pseudo tilt/shift

• 02-02-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing the pseudo tilt/shift images in the Random Pic thread makes me wonder if the 'in focus' zone of the image were running vertically rather then horizontally (rise/fall rather then tilt/shift?) does the same miniturising effect occur?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

OldGoat wrote: »
    Seeing the pseudo tilt/shift images in the Random Pic thread makes me wonder if the 'in focus' zone of the image were running vertically rather then horizontally (rise/fall rather then tilt/shift?) does the same miniturising effect occur?

Actually the movement that would alter the vertical plane of focus would be swing. The classic movements on a view camera are swing (movement of the standards on a vertical axis)and tilt (standards are moved on a horizontal axis) for altering the plane of focus, and rise/shift which move the standards either vertically or horizontally, and so don't directly effect the plane of focus.

Anyhow, if you're a tl;dr, fastest way to find out is to try. It's an interesting optical illusion when it happens. I was surprised originally to find out that fake PS tilt images have much the same illusory effect as real ones. I guess our brains aren't so discerning as we'd like to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I don't think it would work, as the effect is on distance, as in the horizontal plane. My brain isn't working yet though so i'm open to correction :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

fastest way to find out is to try
    I don't have the photoediting skillz (yet). I'm still struggling with the intricacies of automatic redeye removal. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

With a real miniature you're typically looking down at it or at its level through it. The depth of the scene is usually from foreground to background. The mask you use for your fake blur will have to take the geometry of the scene into account. If there is something in the scene that sticks out above the background then you have to make sure it isn't blurred.

Here is one of mine I've posted several times:
    2638882_aa169e022a.jpg
    The tower has to remain sharp to maintain the illusion.

So the "in focus zone" has to follow the geometry of the scene. If you had a vertical scene, perhaps the edge of the moon, then you would make the depth mask vertical.

Anyway tilt-shift lenses are more about controlling perspective.
    Have a look at the interactive images near the bottom of this article:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

A lensbaby is a cheap way to get into the blurry side of things if you want to experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

5uspect wrote: »

Anyway tilt-shift lenses are more about controlling perspective.
    Have a look at the interactive images near the bottom of this article:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Canon-TS-E-24mm-f-3.5-L-II-Tilt-Shift-Lens-Review.aspx

well, strictly speaking while the shifty bits are useful for controlling perspective, the traditional use of tilt and swing movements was to try to align the focal plane with the subject to try and get as much as possible IN focus, for landscape shots for example, front tilt would often ensure that your little edelweiss in the foreground would be in focus, along with the alps in the background, something that might not be possible by merely stopping down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Jeez, you guys seem to know more than I do, and I actually own a Tilt/Shift lens (90mm f2.8 Canon mount). I use it for portraits mostly. Get the eyes in focus and let everything else fall off into a dreamy, blurry haze.

If anyone ever wants to have a go off it, I'd be happy to oblige (in the Limerick or Dublin area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

gloobag wrote: »
    Jeez, you guys seem to know more than I do, and I actually own a Tilt/Shift

If you've ever spent 2 hours setting the tilt and swing up to take one single exposure on a large format camera it's not something you forget easily:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I set up with some Novoflex bellows in my previous job for a data acquisition application.
    Fun times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The easiest way is to get a Lensbaby. It is kind of tilt-shift lens. Could give you lots of fun, pleasure and learning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

Lensbaby doesn't really give a great miniature effect though, I don't have one, but if you look at samples online you can see that it doesn't usually change the perceived DoF in a photo.

Vertical miniature-style can work, but it's usually not as effective, I think because there isn't enough information about the depth of the horizon in the photo for your brain to interpret the scale.

With a horizontally aligned blur there is more likely to be a defocusing along the horizon, which re-enforces the perception of a shallower DoF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Last year lensbaby brought out their Tilt Transformer for Nikon Lenses, I think it might achieve that miniature effect better than their other lenses:

http://www.lensbaby.com/tilt-transformer.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

The Canon 60D has an in camera option to create a miniature effect vertically or horizontally on pictures taken. Haven't tried it out yet.

Advertisement