Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pricing a Debs Event

• 02-02-2011 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done it? I have a few meetings with the organizing committees for some debs over the next couple of weeks and I want to try and get my pricing right. I have a few ideas on packages for singles and couples etc... selling keyrings, 8x6s and 10x8 prints on the night. One cheap package and one a little more expensive. Also a couple of special offer kickbacks etc. Has anyone priced any of this before?

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I haven't done it - but in general it seems fairly easy.

Once you have lighting equipment and backdrops (Optional)

as regards charging its usually €15-20 for a 10x8 and maybe €5-7 discount for each photo ordered after that.

there are various ways to do this:

1. deposit paid and orders taken before the event - photograph those who have paid

2. tell the committee that if they pay a deposit of X amount you will turn up and take photos and then sell on the night. (usually takes a couple of staff to organise event photography properly ...ie. sales etc)

3. ask how many are expected, offer the organising committee free images for themselves or the top package you offer value approx €50 for €20, if there are more than 100 couples ...offer to do a deal where you only charge for 100 ... so the committee thinks they are getting X amount free when in reality you are getting 100 couples @ approx €15 per pic (minus costs)

4. Depending on amount of people and room available:
    Packages like:

12x8 Class photo, 9x6 couple (2) and 9x6 individual pics of couple .... they are getting 5 images .... lets say €50

Individual sales
    12x8 class photos for €30
    9x6 images €15
    10x8 images €20

Will PM another concept I've been holding out on which I don't want to reveal - its labour intensive but will really make everyone's night that buys pics.

if you really wanted to go all out - you could put the date and school name on the paper frame (at no charge... or tell them its normally €5 extra per package as you have to order them especially) - and of course your own contact details go on the frame too....hee hee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Hi Dave

I haven't done a debs but I did do a Santa Claus once which is essentially the same as you photograph as many punters as you can and then sell to them!! :)
    From an event photography point of view, which it is, pricing is around €20 per 10x8 or 2 for €30. This may be a little high with our current economic woes but as a one off people may well pay it still.
    This is a cattle mart type of event where you take one shot of each couple and move onto the next one. Ideally be ththered so they see result immediately and then order (10x8, keyring whatever!) and pay immediately.

They can collect later as you won't have time to print on the spot unless you have a dye sub and even then you will more than likely have queues backing up which puts punters off.

Best of luck with it.

If you need an assistant etc etc ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for your input PCPhoto and Ballyman and for the PM. Very interesting, a great idea and a real crowd pleaser. ;) Right now it's probably a bit too much, logistically speaking. It's definitely something I will look at over the next few months.

I used to do printing on site at the 21st and other parties but tell the truth, it's a bit of a pain. I will do all I can to discourage it, citing that people who purchase will probably loose the item on the night and would it not be better to have them delivered to either their home or the school? Collecting Ph. numbers, addresses and emails of punters will only serve me better in the future and will also insure the punter get's what they pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Stick to one size, you want to price to make multiple sales so say 1 8x6 for €15 and two for €25. Print on site sales from the net drop drastically compared to on the night. If you can get the price of a picture in the ticket price and shoot everybody.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Will PM another concept I've been holding out on which I don't want to reveal - its labour intensive but will really make everyone's night that buys pics.

Don't suppose I could get that PM off you too?

I'm not doing a debs or anything, but I'm curious, and you're generally on top of your game, so I'd love to hear your idea. :) If you don't mind, of course.

• Advertisement

Its funny I've had 2 PM's asking what the concept is .... I don't want to mention it on boards as its easy to do and I don't have the full logistics worked out as to time/people required....so its technically just an idea/concept at the moment....would need to perfect it before I let people know about it.

it is labour intensive but would definately be something that the debs/grads people would enjoy on the night and something that would .... oshead will be meeting with organising committee's over the coming weeks so its of benefit to him...the rest of ye are just nosey !! :D

I'm sure oshead agree's its something which has potential to be a massive earner with regards to getting the deal to photo grads/debs....assuming the logistics are worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd be more inclined to print on the night too. Seeing theimage inprint makes more people want it, those that would have walked past and not bothered decide sure why not and rather than just getting the couples the girls who buy will then be thinking sure why not get me and my friends too. You may have 100 couples buy prints but then you may also have various groups of friends who would like a picture together too.

The other thing I heard from talking to a barman up in a north meath hotel was to get in and get out quick before they have too much drink/drugs onboard.

I've done about 7 or 8 21st partys in the last 6 months with both printing on site and off. Printing on site definitely earns more money, but not that much more. I find the kids don't really care about 8x6s in a strutmount. What they want are the keyrings. Now they go like hotcakes.

Maybe the debs crowd/mentality will be a little different and the kids will have a little more money in their pockets, but when selling you have to pay attention and push what sells. It's not an exact science, you have to go with the flow, but I might do the keys on the night if i have the space. The larger prints will be delivered to the school within one week. Like.... Who wants to carry around a few prints with them all night? I think the kids will understand that.

Edit: to encourage the sale of larger prints (10x8), I might do a special, free keyring with 2 prints purchased. Something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I'd be more inclined to print on the night too. Seeing theimage inprint makes more people want it, those that would have walked past and not bothered decide sure why not and rather than just getting the couples the girls who buy will then be thinking sure why not get me and my friends too.

Wouldn't they be thinking more about downing the pints as opposed to how will I manage to not ruin the photo.

I'd favour pay now, print and deliver later.

• Advertisement

Had my first appointment with one of the committees today. It's gas dealing with them. :) All things going well, i'll be doing the debs come this September. As regards prints on the night, they said, before I even got a chance to say it, that they want print and deliver to the school. I offered them prepay reductions on three different packages, with the middle priced one designed to woo them with afford ability and value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Just from experience of being to debs (only out of secondary school), the majority of people won't wont to buy on the night. Money to be spent on drink and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Just from experience of being to debs (only out of secondary school), the majority of people won't wont to buy on the night. Money to be spent on drink and all that.

I was assisting at a couple of debs last year from some school in Ranelagh and another in Crumlin and they spent buckets of money on the night on the packages available and on the second I was actually being hit with money to get my attention to pay first as the table was swamped (an odd experience I must say).
    I think the photographer got about €1500 net pay on the night with no pre booking.

most of the students had over €500 with them at least and they were very impulsive at spending trying to impress their dates so it would be a good idea to have the option to buy on the night €25 for a single shot and print or €35 for single 10x8 print of the debutant plus another 10x8 of them plus the date (2nd print for an extra €10) and a "handling fee" of €3 to cover registration which basically covers the assistants pay plus extra if surplus.

That price setup really worked well and most of them ended up paying the €48 in total as they worked up from wanting just one print to the 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its funny I've had 2 PM's asking what the concept is .... I don't want to mention it on boards as its easy to do and I don't have the full logistics worked out as to time/people required....so its technically just an idea/concept at the moment....would need to perfect it before I let people know about it.

it is labour intensive but would definately be something that the debs/grads people would enjoy on the night and something that would .... oshead will be meeting with organising committee's over the coming weeks so its of benefit to him...the rest of ye are just nosey !! :D

I'm sure oshead agree's its something which has potential to be a massive earner with regards to getting the deal to photo grads/debs....assuming the logistics are worked out.

Is it using one of those large kiosks onsite? There was one of them at the Rose of Tralee in Limerick, and it really did boost sales!

afraid not - but thanks for guessing :D

its such a simple idea - but logistically difficult to figure out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

OK, a simple question. Is it possible to do a debs with just a background and flashgun, or are we talking the whole studio lights thing?

It's not about weather it's possible to do anything with anything, if you get my drift. It's more a case of fulfilling the expectations of the clients. In this case the debs kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I'm presuming by that response, you mean one has to go down the studio light avenue...

studio light would be the ideal - and would look more professional.

it would be possible to get decent enough images with knowledge of using a flash ...off camera would be best.

backdrop is not always necessary - some hotels have plants or area's which could suit as a backdrop.

the more professional you are the better.....lets face it - if the results are unprofessional the grads/debs people could sue the photographer. (Insurance is highly recommended)

As oshead says ...its about meeting the expectations of the client. (they expect umbrellas and a big flash when the image is taken)

Exactly, they want big lights and big camera with a large viewing monitor and the whole thing looking all glamored up. It's their big night and thats what impresses them. And so it goes, if you know how to use all that pro equipment then chances are, now that you've got the confidence or the punters, you'll get great shots for the them.

• Advertisement

might not need the viewing monitor - but suppose for the purposes of "wow" ing them ...it would work.

back in my day - you turned up - if you had ordered photos and paid in advance you got photo'd and the photos were delivered to the school/home.

might not need the viewing monitor - but suppose for the purposes of "wow" ing them ...it would work.

back in my day - you turned up - if you had ordered photos and paid in advance you got photo'd and the photos were delivered to the school/home.

That's exactly the what I'm trying. By paying in advance they get big reductions with the packages I'm offering. Otherwise it's single purchases on the night.

The monitor isn't essential, but is good to catch the kids attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Just wondering if your printing on the night ,what decent dye-sub printer is good for prints up to 10x8

Try systeminsight.co.uk and look up Mitsubishi CP3800. It'll set you back a cool €1800. But apparently its is top of it's class... :pac:

oshead wrote: »
    Try systeminsight.co.uk and look up Mitsubishi CP3800. It'll set you back a cool €1800. But apparently its is top of it's class... :pac:

They certainly are but I prefer the 8x6 models as the rolls can hold 260 prints whereas the 8x10 can only hold around 60.

I don't think i'll be investing in one anytime soon. Though... you never know.

Advertisement