Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to enter property from landlord

Options
  • 02-02-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how much notice the landlord should give me before wanting to enter the property?

He's just asked if he can come over this evening so a potential new tenant can view the house, I'm at work all day and the place is not in good shape tidiness wise.

Should I just say no even though I know he's already agreed the time with the potential tenant?

I think it's really unfair of him to just spring this on me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just say no.

You need to be given proper notice, and agree on that. 24hrs notice is normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Apple Orange

24 hours is a bit minimal all the same, especially without already being aware of the possibility of this.

I feel bad saying no :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I think if he knew you had to tidy up he would appreciate it and understand, due to the fact he is showing it to a prospective tenant.

I told him I'm at work all day and the house is pretty untidy. Awaiting response.

I don't have time to tidy it before the viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just say you are not around this evening, don't have to give a reason why.

• Advertisement

He wants to show it regardless of whether I'm there or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

He wants to show it regardless of whether I'm there or not!

You need to tell him that is an absolute no no. Make it clear that he is never to enter the premesis without you being there and certainly not with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

24 hours is standard, and even then you can say no. I certainly would in your situation.

I am a landlord and I wouldn't want to go in without the tenant there- it is for both of your protection (as tenant could claim something was stolen or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

The landlord cannot enter the property, whatever the reason, without your permission. Its your home and you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of it and say who can and can't enter and when. It's up to you if you want to allow the landlord to show the house at a later time when its convenient to you but personally I would be reluctant to let anyone view my house while it is my home and I am paying a lot of rent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Baralis1 wrote: »
    The landlord cannot enter the property, whatever the reason, without your permission. Its your home and you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of it and say who can and can't enter and when. It's up to you if you want to allow the landlord to show the house at a later time when its convenient to you but personally I would be reluctant to let anyone view my house while it is my home and I am paying a lot of rent for it.

Actually I'm sorry, my last post is not quite correct. I had a look at the residential tenancies Act 2004.

A tenant must allow the landlord or their agent access to the property, at reasonable intervals for the purpose of inspection, or to carry out repairs. This must be at a time and date agreed in advance with the tenant.

This however from my understanding of the act, does not include viewing by potential future tenants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement