Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

King Kegs

• 02-02-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm thinking about buying one of these fellers as all my bottles are currently in use and I'd like to get a stout on for Paddy's Day. I've read mixed reports about them however.

I don't have the space or money for a full corny setup at the moment however, which is why I'm thinking of the KK. Any opinions on them?

Any preference on "top-tap" or "bottom-tap"?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭kenmc

i'd say don't bother to be honest. get some mini kegs or a polypin, but don't bother with the king keg. hard to balance the carbonation, you get a glass of foam for ages until the co2 level drops then you get 1 or 2 pints of good balance before the co2 is not enough to pour - rinse and repeat. Also you can't put it in the fridge. I got a king keg early in my 'career' and used it maybe twice or three times before bottling everything until i got a corny set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭wuben

hey kenmc how much did your corny set up cost ye? do ye need much room for it all?

dunno, don't count the price of stuff like that. probably around 90 euro for the first keg, add a second and tap for about another 60 maybe. Doesn't take up any space at all, fits in the beer fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭GeorgeCostanza

Thanks for the reply Ken. Some people seem to be pretty disparaging of the KKs alright. They just seem a little less daunting than the cornies.

I was looking at Cornies on one of the online shops but none of them seem to sell gas cylinders. What would you recommend for a first corny setup in addition to the keg itself, gun and the disconnects?

you need a corny, the disconnects, tap and some beer line at a minimum. Then you need a source of Co2. various options include
    - Widget World,
    - Keg Charger
    Or you can get a corny which is adapted to take S30 gas cannisters (about the size of sodastream ones)
    After that then you're getting into a regulator and 2kg or 5kg co2 gas bottle which can be purchased/filled at some of the fire extinguisher companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Be closer to £50 including disconnects and beer lines if bought from UK.

I spent £145 for 3 cornies the last time I ordered from Norm. That included P&P and all the bits.

Saruman wrote: »
    Be closer to £50 including disconnects and beer lines if bought from UK.
    I was talking about reg and tap also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ah that makes sense.

Advertisement