Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorised satellite dish for saorview?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

No!

Saorview is a terrestrial service

When Saorsat is launched, you would need a motorised dish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭aidz

thankls... sorry for the mistake. but would that kit be able to receive saorsat and freesat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

What do you currently use for tv reception & what part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭aidz

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    What do you currently use for tv reception & what part of the country are you in?

Looking at replacing my sky hd box. Based in Kells, Meath. Have no aerial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Well, if you want everything on satellite, best keep an eye on this forum as Saorsat won't start for at least another 3 or 4 months & there's no Freesat + Saorsat combo confirmed as working yet (unlikely with a skybox).
    In the meantime you could try an aerial, your tv may already be capable of Saorview reception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jujamax

aidz wrote: »
    If i was to purchase this bit of kit from malpin, will it receive both saorview (irish digital channels) and freesat??

http://www.maplin.co.uk/motorised-hd-satellite-kit-for-free-digital-tv-224738

its a motorised 900mm dish...

was looking at this earlier myself..... hope to get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Not likely to work with Saorsat, as the LNB won't handle Ka band. Probably best to wait until Saorsat is broadcasting before spending money on anything to receive it. If all you will be using it for is the Irish/English channels, then wait to see if a single fixed dish solution becomes available, because if you use a motorised dish there will be a delay while switching from a channel on Saorsat to one on Freesat, and vice versa, which would be quite irritating if you switch between them frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

aidz wrote: »
    thankls... sorry for the mistake. but would that kit be able to receive saorsat and freesat?

no
    Saorsat needs more than x2 more accurate alignment and a Ka-Band LNBF.

Freesat needs a ku Band LNBF. A Motorised system needs to be for Ku really and will allow about 20 Ku Band satellites from 42E to 45W approx in MidWest of Ireland.

A solid and well mounted dual feed fixed dish, or a separate small Cassegrain Dish is required for Saorsat.

see http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/

A motorised dish isn't recommended and is more expensive. Motorised dish is also only useful for single receiver and no good for dual tuner PVR. The Fixed dish with dual feeds, or two fixed dishes can feed ANY number of receivers or PVRs.

I'd only buy a 110cm Triax or 90/95cm Triax in East coast and Motek SG2100 for motorised.
    Or a 36V system with Channel Master/Andrews 1.2m dish in exposed Western coasts.
    I do have a motorised system
    134104.png
    Lower Dish is 90/95 Cm Triax with Four fixed feed. Upper dish is 110cm Triax and Motek SG2100 (Motor from Satellite.ie)

The motorised Dish feeds a cheap Blind Scan receiver in my Radio Shack.

The fixed dish Closeup for 28E Sky/Freesat, 19E Astra, Hotbird 13E and 9E
    134102.png

This feeds a 16 outlet Multiswitch connected to Skybox and some PCs, one is Mediacentre (XP with DVBviewer) and 2x DVB-S2 HD and dual DTT USB stick.

The 9E is only Ku. I will swap it for Ka Band LNBF in May/June 2011. I once had 3 sky boxes, but gave two away.

homer911 wrote: »
    No!

Saorview is a terrestrial service

When Saorsat is launched, you would need a motorised dish

Motorised is a bad idea for Saorsat.

You only want a single feed with single outlet on a Motorised Dish. No good for Freesat/UK TV plus Saorsat PVR.
    You can't easily have ka band and KuBand on Motorised unless one or both is slightly off alignment. Then the GotoX/USALS is wrong for one or both. You'd have to do manual alignment and Store for Ka-Sat.
    Motor has more play than fixed dish. Might wobble too much in Wind for Ka-Sat.

Fixed Dish will accommodate 22 degree spread, for strong satellites. Ka-Sat to Astra2/Eurobird1 is about 20 degrees. Motorised is for larger arc.

Toroidal will do about 45 degree arc. Better for wide mix Ka + Ku. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056150093

Motor will do about 50E to 58W easily in MidWest of Ireland (110 degree arc). (In practice nothing with Irish Footprint outside 42E to 45W I think on Ku Band, about 20 satellites). Some motors only do 89 degree arc, no good for 42E in West/Midwest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 jujamax

Thanks for the info Watty. Pity there's no system to replace Sky that would tick all the boxes (RTE/Irish tv & Freesat) maybe there's an opening for an Irish company!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

jujamax wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Watty. Pity there's no system to replace Sky that would tick all the boxes (RTE/Irish tv & Freesat) maybe there's an opening for an Irish company!

True. All these boxes piling up beside the TV. If only all these TV channels could agree on a format so that one box would do it all.

There is little market for DTT + Freesat in one box rather than Generic FTA sat.
    I have my HTPC outside in shed. No fan/Disk noise! 2 x Sat tuners and 2 xDTT, 8m x screen Cat5e to carry HDMI, 10M USB and 8m Cat5e for additional audio and IR remote.

Maybe Saorsat + Freesat will be the answer. We'll see in June/July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 reliable4eddie

Hi, this Ferguson combo receiver box seems capable of receiving both freesat and Saorview digital terrestrial channels.
    http://www.freesat.ie/index.php?cat=HD_receivers1

It does FTA satellite and Basic Digital Terrestrial. It doesn't do freesat or Saorview beyond the very basic video & audio.

So Satellite and Terrestrial reception of all the channels. But you can't call it Freesat or Saorview Compatible.

I'm new to this freesat and saoeview, but like a lot of people I'd like to find a box that does both. That Ferguson box that I posted a link to earlier claims to receive both although it does not use the saorview name ( I suppose they are not allowed use the name until "officially" passed by Saorview). I've looked at other boards and people seem happy enough with it.
    High definition combo receiver.
    Heres what Ferguson state in their ad:
    "Ferguson HD combo receiver

HD satellite & Terrestrial in one!

Receive all Freesat/Free-to-air channels & the trial digital transmission of RTE1, 2, TV3 & TG4 with this excellant receiver."

So would I be wrong to buy one or should I wait to see what might come along.

Wait.

There is so much it doesn't do. It couldn't get Saorview or Freesat certification without completly different software.

No MHEG5 text on Irish or UK
    No Interactive applications on either UK or Ireland. (None transmitted here yet)
    No Freesat EPG
    No MHEG EPG when RTE NL adds it
    No OTA upgrades
    No Satellite autotuning. You have to manually scan and delete the junk every time a small change occurs. Occassionally go to Lyngsat.com or here and get info and manually add transponders to.

It's a moderately good basic combo. There are other similar ones.

Thanks Watty, I'll wait.

Advertisement