Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it ok to keep ex F$%K Friends & Ex Partners on Facebook When your married/engaged?

• 02-02-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Just wondering the general thoughts. So once your committed is it ok to have these former "friends with Benefits" in your friends list, or is it time to hit the X button FOREVER?
    The ones you dirty texted... had phone S4X with... Gave one too in the car before throwing them the taxi fare home along with the 35 squid for the morning after.
    Or once the ring is on is it time to confine these people to your past.

In a way I think they should be deleted BUT then again they are part of your upbringing and who you we are (dirty sods):D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

If you are on good terms and not tempted to try it on again I don't see why not. No point in keeping them on there if you have no intention to continue a friendship with them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

The only way I know someone like that is engaged is when they de-friend me, duh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Have 2 Ex "boyfriends" on my friend list on FB, hubby has 2 Ex-girlfriends on his list, it's no biggy...

(I also let his "ex-friend with benefits" stay in our house once, she was seeing someone else, we are happily married, it's all about trust...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

had phone S4X with...
    Phone sax? Sure it'll only make you jazz in your pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Phone sax? Sure it'll only make you jazz in your pants.

SCATMAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Just don't add your wife on facebook and be secretive when you're on your own account. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

flyton5 wrote: »
    Just don't add your wife on facebook and be secretive when you're on your own account. Sorted.

Yeah she'll never suspect a thing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

For a start it's not ok to have Facebook :rolleyes:

Load of me hoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Once you're not still hitting it I'm sure there isn't a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

*You're

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Who in the **** in real life uses terms like friends with benefits or fcuk buddy? Friends with benefits means lads on the dole. "That bird ya were bangin" or variants is Irish.

Really. This is not the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's fine when your married or engaged but when your married and engaged it's a big no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Well if you're not going to try it on with them again, have no feelings for them and are passed all that kind of stuff then yes it's okay.

Oh and if your girlfriend/wife had been effected by them in someway then Hell No!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

My girlfriend doesn't think so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Nuke your facebook. Works a treat, there's enough to worry about in life.

feelsgoodman.jpeg

Once you're not still hitting it I'm sure there isn't a problem.

oh you're oisin

also, yeah it's fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

kfallon wrote: »
    For a start it's not ok to have Facebook :rolleyes:

Load of me hoop!

Okay Fallon, We get it. Your 'cool'

Yet you post on forums, is that considered 'cool' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If they're your friends, keep them. Hence the designation "friend".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Well personally I don't go very far with people unless there's friendship involved as well as attraction, and therefore even if it doesn't work out the friendship can still be there.

And pretty much the only absolute deal breaker for me when it comes to dating someone is if they ask me to drop anyone out of my life for them. You can accept my friends or say goodbye to me.
    I know people who have allowed their girlfriends/boyfriends to come between them and their friends, I can't imagine anything more depressing tbh.

And obviously on the flipside, I would never ever ask a girl to do this for me and I'd be appalled if I thought she had done so.

Obviously if there is/was evidence of cheating involved, that's different of course. But otherwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Once you are married you are expected to be an adult, so you dump the FB nonsense and problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I've exes on mine cuz I stayed good friends with them, the bf doesnt because he didnt. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

yes. you know the old saying: you're allowed look at the mantle-piece while poking the fire......

....but sometimes its prevalent to put your willy in the mantle-piece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

im friends with my ex and a few Fcukbuddies, but ive no feelings for them so its not really an issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Well personally I don't go very far with people unless there's friendship involved as well as attraction, and therefore even if it doesn't work out the friendship can still be there.

And pretty much the only absolute deal breaker for me when it comes to dating someone is if they ask me to drop anyone out of my life for them. You can accept my friends or say goodbye to me.
    I know people who have allowed their girlfriends/boyfriends to come between them and their friends, I can't imagine anything more depressing tbh.

And obviously on the flipside, I would never ever ask a girl to do this for me and I'd be appalled if I thought she had done so.

Obviously if there is/was evidence of cheating involved, that's different of course. But otherwise...

This.

If someone expects you to give sacrifice your friends for them, why would you commit to a person like that? Provided you still are actually friends with them and not just keeping them around just in case, you shouldn't feel like you have anything to worry about. No matter how much you may feel that you're going to spend the rest of your life with someone, it's quite possible that you won't. And then you're left single and down a few friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pretty bizarre concept that you would have people on facebook as hangers-on in case your current relationship goes tits up and you only remove them when you're "committed" to someone.

Shows a certain level of disrespect for the person you're going out with surely?

Look at your friends list. If there's anyone there that you couldn't see yourself sitting down and having a pint and a chat with, remove them, they're not friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

seamus wrote: »
    Look at your friends list. If there's anyone there that you couldn't see yourself sitting down and having a pint and a chat with, remove them, they're not friends.

i probably wont bother deleting them but thanks for the suggestion. fb is handy for staying in touch with people who i met while travelling etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Sorta on-off girl I was seeing last year got in contact with me recently (I knew she'd come crawling back :pac:) asking me if I was coming out one night recently. Gave her cold replies considering I have a new and improved girlfriend :D

The very next day her friend sends me a friend request............hmmm.............I know your game, woman, and I don't want you knowing my business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

If they're sincerely your friends then I don't see the problem. If they're people you're keeping on your list just to have them there, as contingency or whatever, or if you think they could possibly leave suggestive messages on your wall and cause trouble, then I'd probably delete them. Personally I'm not completely sure what I'd do myself since I don't add boyfriends on my FB. From what I've seen and experienced in the past it only causes problems.
    seamus wrote: »

I'd definitely agree with the above, I wouldn't really be bothered adding anyone on my FB that I couldn't have a decent chat with, or wouldn't go for a pint or two with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's fine when your married or engaged but when your married and engaged it's a big no no.

eh... bit of a contradiction there.

you mean its alright when not married or engaged yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

this is a 'hold ma beer-n-watch this....' moment

i am sure the divorce court will understand....i am sure his/her solicitor, your solicitor, the judge, his/her helper, their barristers, the court typist (who is always bored) your barrister, who you are all paying for, they will perfectly understand the concept of a F&^K friend on facebook and indeed this thread. I am sure they will think about that concept for several weeks before telling you the cost of that understanding.

yep that will all be okay...cant see it causing any issues what-so-ever....

let us know how you get on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

yes. you know the old saying: you're allowed look at the mantle-piece while poking the fire......

....but sometimes its prevalent to put your willy in the mantle-piece

Remember that if the mantle piece starts to blab her mouth off, you're going to have to do her in. Get a bag of lime and a shovel.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Sorta on-off girl I was seeing last year got in contact with me recently (I knew she'd come crawling back :pac:) asking me if I was coming out one night recently. Gave her cold replies considering I have a new and improved girlfriend :D

The very next day her friend sends me a friend request............hmmm.............I know your game, woman, and I don't want you knowing my business!

Cold storage its called Duggy;)

Advertisement