Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterstones

Options
  • 02-02-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hello

I hate to riff on other people's pain BUT does anybody know if there will be a sale with the two branches closing in Dublin.

When Borders closed in Blanchardstown they did books at €1 each.

Regards
    Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Bargain Alert how?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

2 branches of Waterstones in Dublin are to close- the one in the Jervis shopping centre and the one on Dawson Street. There are another 8 branches in the country- alongside the Hogis Figis also on Dawson Street- which is part of the same chain. So- its not the similar to Borders closing down- they will most probably move their stock to other branches (notably Hogis Figis Dawson Street).

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

Bargain Alert how?

My apologies. I assumed that the clousre was well known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

It is well known, but he's wondering how this is a bargain alert? Unless you're looking for some prime retail space in the Jervis centre.....

redalan wrote: »
    My apologies. I assumed that the clousre was well known.

No worries.

My reply was somewhat curt.

Still no BA though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

that is a shame. i really liked the waterstones in jervis :(

No worries.

My reply was somewhat curt.

Still no BA though. :D

No worries.
    I was hoping that it woud stimulate a Bargain Alert.

No worries.
    I was hoping that it woud stimulate a Bargain Alert.

How?
    Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Oh sorry to hear that. Maybe this should be more appropriately placed in the Dublin forum and we can talk about it there?

I'm a regular customer in Waterstones & I didn't know this. It's sad. Though I admit I'm guilty - everytime I want to buy a book in Waterstones or Easons, I always check out the price on Amazon or elsewhere first. The books are nearly always cheaper online.

At least Chapters & The Gutter Bookshop are still there. Hopefully at least one book shop will remain in Dawson St.

Henry St. is generally poorly served with reasonably priced bookshops, except for Chapters. I'm not mad about Easons, find them a bit expensive.

Sad day indeed....

Hopefully at least one book shop will remain in Dawson St.

Hodges and Figgis- who have the same owner as Waterstones- will remain on Dawson Street.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    How?
    Genuinely curious.

I had hoped that someone might know if Waterstones was having closing down sale and would respond to the original post.

Where should my post have been placed first?

I had hoped that someone might know if Waterstones was having closing down sale and would respond to the original post.

Where should my post have been placed first?

The reason its not comparable to Borders closing- is Waterstones are closing 2 of their 10 Irish branches, they are not closing down as a company, and they are continuing to trade nationwide. Borders, on the otherhand- were withdrawing fully from the Irish market.

You might be looking for the Bargain Alerts (Requests) thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I would doubt it as 90% of books are sale or return.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

In fairness, I was wondering the same myself. May be better suited in Requests alright.

As a general point, I wonder where this will all end? Is it always best to buy stuff online at the cheapest price as we will gradually lose stores such as this and lose the pleasure of perusing the store. Also, our kids looking for summer jobs wont be getting them in Amazon!

Perhaps it is better to buy less books etc etc but to buy as much as possible from a B&M store where you interact with real people. I hope the new government do something about rents and also try to look again at VAT to make it more enticing financially to shop in your average store.

Also Amazon are doing free P&P on books/DVD's at the mo if you choose super saver delivery, no £25 limit.

May be a temporary glitch, hope not.

This won't do B&M any favours obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

When Easons was closing on Nassau St they had some really good deals despite the fact that they have another outlet in Dublin, plus Read's, plus other shops in Ireland.

I'd say it will be worth popping into if you're in the vicinity!

MD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I was in there today (Jervis) and bought 2 books....no bargains though.

Advertisement