Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrote off cars

Options
  • 02-02-2011 2:37pm

Whats the story behind the car wrecks in front of the ski slopes and accross from the bus stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Im pretty sure its to do with getting people to stop drinking and driving(possibly speeding)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

They had them in LIT and GMIT. There from the RSA I think it is.
    Trying to open young peoples eyes and give them a look at what a wrote off car looks like. There for shock value im guessing.

Obviously colleges are the perfect place to put them as students and young people in general are the cause for all the deaths on our roads:rolleyes:

Did they get the idea when they pulled the car out of the fountain?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

No they have been doing this since I first went to college in 2008 and probably prior to this also.

I always wondered had somebody actually died in the car, i doubt it thou.

Is it a white car?

the one accross from the bus stop doesnt look like someone could survive from it. I think its blue

The one infront of the ski slopes is a fiat brava and for the life of me, I cant remember the colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Used to do the same thing in CU about 2-3 years back to try to encourage driver awareness to dangers of irresponsible and drunk driving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

JustLen wrote: »
    No they have been doing this since I first went to college in 2008 and probably prior to this also.

I've been told that they've been doing this for years...somehow I didn't notice before now! And I've been in UL for...ever!

Ya, I've been here since 2005 and I've never seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Connavar wrote: »
    Im pretty sure its to do with getting people to stop drinking and driving(possibly speeding)

lol, didnt even cross my mind, i thought it was fished out of the fountain !!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Hey,

Glad to see that the cars have done what they intended to do, which is raise awareness of road safety.

Next week (Week 3) is Road Safety Week in UL and there will be a lot of info about road safety around campus. It is being run by ULSU, UL, the Council, the Gardai and the RSA.

There will be a more info available in the coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RyanK

There's three cars (EDIT: that I've seen):

A silver car infront of the ski slopes (Main building)
    A red car by the flagpoles / opposite the bus stop.
    A blue car by the Schuman building.

Don't understand why the colours were important...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

RyanK wrote: »
    There's three cars:

Are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

RyanK wrote: »
    There's three cars:

Green one near the arena also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Clearly they seem to be getting the message across since I've just seen a Corsa drive into the side of a Micra (i think) at the roundabout before the main gate. :rolleyes: Micra driver was at fault but it was a very stupid, easily avoidable accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

The one near the flagpoles at the UL gate has what looks like sick down the seat sides, as though someone did indeed die in it. Too much IMO, it's not fair that people who don't even drive have to get lambasted with it the whole time, too.

And what if you've ever been involved in an accident or had someone close to you killed in one? Not fair you'd have to walk past a car wreck heading in for a lecture in the ski slopes building...idiots who cause the majority of these accidents won't exactly repent of their ways just because of them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The one near the flagpoles at the UL gate has what looks like sick down the seat sides, as though someone did indeed die in it. Too much IMO, it's not fair that people who don't even drive have to get lambasted with it the whole time, too.

And what if you've ever been involved in an accident or had someone close to you killed in one? Not fair you'd have to walk past a car wreck heading in for a lecture in the ski slopes building...idiots who cause the majority of these accidents won't exactly repent of their ways just because of them either!

I've been involved in an accident, and I'm sure others here have too, and I'm glad that something is being done to highlight road accidents.

I think it's good that it's made you and others uncomfortable, it means you're aware of their point and will be more likely to think about it in future. The more people that notice/are put out by this, the more word will spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭MiamiMortimer

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I've been involved in an accident, and I'm sure others here have too, and I'm glad that something is being done to highlight road accidents.

I think it's good that it's made you and others uncomfortable, it means you're aware of their point and will be more likely to think about it in future. The more people that notice/are put out by this, the more word will spread.

Perhaps...but I'm still not a fan of that kind of campaign.

It won't stop young men speeding in their souped up cars and it won't change anything - driving as a means of showing off/attracting girls is too engrained in these peoples' psyches.

On a personal level I shouldn't have to be reminded of my father's near fatal road accident (caused by another car, too) when I'm away from home and on the way to lectures. I actually went around to the main building the Plassey House way for the days the wreck was there because I didn't need to be reminded of a terrible time in my life. I'm not a young male around the 20 year old mark, and I don't own a car or drive. All those wrecks meant for me was horrible memories I didn't need to be reminded of over and over again.

Some may say its an effective and neccesary campaign - can't say I agree. If it must be done, one day is sufficent - leaving them there for several days to haunt people is excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Perhaps...but I'm still not a fan of that kind of campaign.

It won't stop young men speeding in their souped up cars and it won't change anything - driving as a means of showing off/attracting girls is too engrained in these peoples' psyches.

On a personal level I shouldn't have to be reminded of my father's near fatal road accident (caused by another car, too) when I'm away from home and on the way to lectures. I actually went around to the main building the Plassey House way for the days the wreck was there because I didn't need to be reminded of a terrible time in my life. I'm not a young male around the 20 year old mark, and I don't own a car or drive. All those wrecks meant for me was horrible memories I didn't need to be reminded of over and over again.

Some may say its an effective and neccesary campaign - can't say I agree. If it must be done, one day is sufficent - leaving them there for several days to haunt people is excessive.

I disagree.

As a young male (18) who drives, and unfortunately, has had the terrible experience of crashing, I think the written off cars are a very good idea. A mate and I (he has been in a car crash too btw) were walking home from plassey to kilmurry a while ago and we spotted the car opposite the bus stop. Both of us crossed the road and walked around the car speechless.

Being my age, the majority of my friends drive or are soon sitting their tests...most of these cars they drive are modified, and the odd few are very powerful cars indeed (300 bhp+! ). I know from talking to these guys that there's nothing like seeing a mangled car right in front of you to drive home the reality of how much carnage can be caused by speeding. If this campaign saves just one life, it's well worth it IMO!

...No offense intended btw...

Advertisement