Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Sep up Query

Options
  • 02-02-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I realise that this topic has probably been done before and to death however I said I would ask the question.

I am looking to start up my own website within the next 6-9 months
    The Website itself will be a website with Video's uploaded when it is up and running.

I have a friend who is going to do the site layout and all the requirements I need for a very reasonable price and in a way which I can maintain it once it is completed, that is not the issue.

The question I am asking is once I have the content all ready to launch I just wanted to know the processes involved in Registering a name, Hosting, hosting costs for the specific site|(I know Hosting is a sensitive subject but just a brief bit of info would be fine), I would be hoping to a million views a year(I know optimistic but got to have a marker), does that effect hosting costs etc, potential revenue making tool which will be available to my site as there will be no products sold on the site.

I know Google is the best place to gain information on the above but after getting a basic knowledge of all of the above I find myself frustrated at every website working an angle when giving out info.

If there is anyone who could help me with any info at all or even direct me to a site which just deals with plain cold hard info I would be very appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

First thing id look into before you spend time and money developing a website is why would people upload videos to your website and not youtube...What unique offering or niche are you going to give them

If you do go ahead with it, the hosting costs will be expensive as the size of each video is high - much higher than a normal webpage.

Naming specific hosting comapnies is not allowed here so you you should probably look at hosting on the Cloud.

To save and host video you will need something like a media server - Wowza maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would be hoping to a million views a year(I know optimistic but got to have a marker), does that effect hosting costs etc,

Yes, in general the more bandwidth you need, the better hosting package you need.

You can register the domain name now and have it ready to associate with your hosting account when it's up and running.

You can try www.webhostingtalk.com to get a better idea of exactly what sort of hosting you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If you are getting a million views a month of videos, and say the average video is 10 MB thats 10,000,000 MB per month bandwidth or 10,000 GB / month you need. Thats a LOT of bandwidth my friend.

You also need storage for all the videos, say you have 500 videos that's 5000 MB storage or 5 GB. You also would need a big powerful server or possibly several.

As an alternative you could look at something like Rackspace Cloud Files for storage and delivery of the videos - there is transparent pricing here where you can plug in your numbers.

http://www.rackspacecloud.com/cloud_hosting_products/files/pricing/

Back of the envelope you are looking at US $ 1900 a month by my calculations.

Advertisement