Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first attempt at drilling hole in wall, not sure it it's right?

• 02-02-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

well as the thread says, i'm not experienced with DIY so i'm kind of a newbie to it. Anyway i wanted to drill a hole in the wall to insert anchor plugs, so i'm using a 7mm drill attached to a hammer drill. The anchor plug is also 7 mm as well. Now the wall is completely solid but i couldn't tell you if it's solid plaster or cement , i just don't know the difference really or it could be something altogether. The house was built about 2 years ago and it is a duplex apartment.
    So i was drilling away and i barely drilled 3 mm and i got worried about the amount of crumbling surrounding the hole so i decided to stop and post a pic here to see if anyone can confirm that's normal or whether the wall is not meant to be drilled.
    The resolution of the pic is quite crap ( iphone 3gs) but i can tell you that right now the diameter of a 2 cent coin just about covers the hole, i was worried that if i kept on going, it would be the same size as a 50 cent coin.

so could anyone advise whether this is normal or what??

thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Its fine keep drilling. You might need a bit of filler after to make a nice job of it, that's if your not covering it up.

You just need to be worried if deep chunks come off.

This happens a lot with plaster :) dont worry about it. As long as the hole is deep enough it should anchor fine.

Also invest in quality rawl plugs (anchor plugs) do not buy cheap ones, trust me they break and get loose in the hole and are tough to get out.

O ya, make sure you are drilling into a solid wall not a stud partition. Knock on it, if its hollow its a partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

And be careful that there are no electrics or plumbing behind that wall, you could get a nasty shock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Looks fine for a 7mm hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

thats a damn nice hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You might have been able to make it a little less crumbly round the edges if you'd drilled the first few mm through the plaster without the hammer action engaged. That's what I do anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Drive on

Advertisement