Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of feathers...

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey there,

I'm making a mask for a college project, but it needs to be completed in a short time, so I dont really have much time to order fancy reams of feathers online (or the money for that matter).

Does anyone know of a butcher that plucks their own chickens or something along those lines in the dublin / dun laoghaire area?

Also I've heard there's a fly fishing and feather supply shop somewhere in town, that also sells feathers by the wing (tho possibly only smaller birds). Anyone know it's name and or location?

Looking for brown in perticular as my mask is an golden/step eagle.
    I'm anyone can help me out i'd be soooooo greatful =)

Cheers,
    3C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Most arts and crafts shops have them in multi-coloured packets plus on ebay you can buy lots of different types - search for millinery feathers - I've purchased from ebay before and there are great Irish sellers there too. Pillows are handy too but no brown ones in there really!

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=291879
    ^^ Sticky of arts and crafts shops and online retailers - might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 3C

Yeah I actually work in Art shop, most of the feathers that we get are pre dyed, forgot to mention in my original post i need em a natural brown (hence the looking for chicken feathers), they're also usually a set size, and I kinda need a range, if i can get em.

I tried some millinery places, but so far I've found that they come in clumps and are usually dyed. Didn't spot any Irish sellers, so I'll go back to ebay and have a look.

Funny you mentioned pillows, everyone I've asked in my course have said "Murder a pillow"

Cheers for the link anywho!
    If anyone else has any info i'd really appreciate it!
    3C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I have purchased from this seller before on Ebay - if any of these feathers are any good to you! Link

• Registered Users Posts: 4 3C

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I have purchased from this seller before on Ebay - if any of these feathers are any good to you! Link

Cheers for the link! I'll have a browse

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nomette

Hi,
    You can dye feathers very easily. Dylon dye is great. Just hand dye them in the sink, they will suck up the colour within minutes. You can also control the tone of the colours you want. You can dry them near a radiator or use a hairdryer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement