Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery repairs in Cork city?

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have some small items of jewellery that need repairing. It's not expensive jewellery but it's precious to me and I don't want to throw any of the items anyway.

Any recommendations for a place/person that does repairs in Cork city area?

Many thanks for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

I don't know of anywhere to recommend but I've had a bad experience with Michel Jewellers on Patrick street. I brought an expensive watch in there to have a broken link repaired. When I got it back I was charged about 40% above the initial estimate and when I inspected it the clasp wasn't closing properly. Without me having yet pointed the finger the lady behind the counter was very quick to deny any wrong doing on their part. She then started pulling a poking at it:eek: I took it from her, paid up and ran.

However, my one bad experience doesn't necessarily mean that they generally provide a crap service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DavMar

You could try Martin O' Sullivan jewellers on north main street, have been using them for years. Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I've had quite a few pieces repaired at the same Michel's jewellers that the above poster was talking about.
    For me it's always been a good experience and so far the price for me have been the estimated one or very near it.. few times a lil bigger, once a lil cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP - I had similar lately - the link might prove useful: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64800871

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Coolchic

I've had one bad experience with a necklace I have that needed repairing.It's a long silver fob necklace which had one of the links in its chain broken,and one flat piece of opal had fallen out of one side of the fob.I needed the link repaired and the opal glued back in. I went to H.Samuels on Patrick St.,and was quoted Euro52,which I thought was a bit excessive to say the least,but as it had languished in an old handbag for 6 years previously,I said OK.Three months later I received a letter giving me one month to collect it,even though I had not received a notification text that the necklace was ready to collect,as promised. When I went into the shop to collect it,I immediately saw that it was a different chain. The original had been quite long, while this one was a good couple of inches shorter. How could I not have noticed the difference?! The assissant said she originally recorded it as an 18 inch but I dont remember her actually checking the length in the beginning.My feeling is that she just assumed it was an 18 inch and the repairers,which were in Dublin,took advantage of this error and simply replaced my chain instead of actually repairing it. The glued in opal on the fob didn't look professional either,I have to say.
    At that point,there was nothing I could do but pay and leave. I won't be back,and I would'nt recommend H.Samuels to anyone looking for a place to bring their damaged jewellery.A big turkey not a star,for H.Samuels!

• Advertisement
Advertisement