Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out and fees

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

My friend is unhappy with the course she is in and wants to drop out. She's still registered with the college but she hasn't been in this semster yet. If she were to drop out and do a different course in a different college next year would she have to pay double the fees since she already went to college once? Also if she doesn't come back this semester (except to officiallly leave the course) does that count as leaving last semester and does that make any difference to the fees she'll have to pay? Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

She needs to talk to the college asap. If she continues out this semester and drops at the end, she'll be liable to pay the full fees for the course she takes up next year. For me this was 3500 + 1500 (registration). Some courses cost considerably more that 3500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

She needs to talk to the college asap. If she continues out this semester and drops at the end, she'll be liable to pay the full fees for the course she takes up next year. For me this was 3500 + 1500 (registration). Some courses cost considerably more that 3500.
    Does that mean if she drops out now she'll just have to pay registration next year? Or does it differ form college to college?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does that mean if she drops out now she'll just have to pay registration next year? Or does it differ form college to college?

No. From what i understand she will have to pay for half of the year. But she should have dropped out before starting back to a new term. She needs to talk asap, the longer she leaves it the worse it could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

K, thanks a lot for your help. She's planning on heading in next week to try sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Deadline has passed. Your friend is liable for full fees + registration fee. This ususally amounts to 2139 + 1500 for a level 8 honours degree course. It's too late now to avoid full fees. The deadline was 31st Jan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement