Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beginner's questions

• 02-02-2011 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me what receiver to buy that will allow me to watch both the saorview and freesat , not freeview or fta ? the reason is its for my mother and i want to simply set it up and forget it , no manual tuning of channels etc and the ability to get rte . is there anywhere around dublin city centre i could see or buy one ?

i don't need any fancy features just the ability to receive all the free to air stuff.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

No such machine exists.
    No demand in UK, so no machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Maybe I'm mistaken but something like http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html not be what he is looking for?

No link to site by the way just googled and found the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Villain wrote: »
    Maybe I'm mistaken but something like http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html not be what he is looking for?

The OP requirements are "the reason is its for my mother and i want to simply set it up and forget it , no manual tuning of channels etc and the ability to get rte".

That's a FTA receiver so if a channel changes frequency/transponder manual tuning will be required.

The Cush wrote: »
    The OP requirements are "the reason is its for my mother and i want to simply set it up and forget it , no manual tuning of channels etc and the ability to get rte".

That's a FTA receiver so if a channel changes frequency/transponder manual tuning will be required.
    Cheers that makes sense but I'm sure he could call by once every so often and a do a re-scan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

I got my mother in law an Ariva Combo HD ( both DTT and FTA Sat). It gets RTE + co off the roof aerial and BBC1/ITV etc on sat. All on one channel listing. So no complex chanel changing to scroll between DTT stations and Sat ones.

But the irony after getting her setup, she only ever watches RTE1 ( not even RTE2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Villain wrote: »
    Cheers that makes sense but I'm sure he could call by once every so often and a do a re-scan :D

You know how long it takes to delete the garbage on 28.2 on a FTA box rescan?

Or what extra needs done if a new transponder frequency is deployed rather than a re-scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I got my mother in law an Ariva Combo HD ( both DTT and FreeSat). It gets RTE + co off the roof aerial and BBC1/ITV etc on sat. All on one channel listing. So no complex chanel changing to scroll between DTT stations and Sat ones.

But the irony after getting her setup, she only ever watches RTE1 ( not even RTE2)

Freesat?
    You sure it's not just a FTA satellite box?

watty wrote: »

Or what extra needs done if a new transponder frequency is deployed rather than a re-scan.
    Yea its not the end of the world like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rowa wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what receiver to buy that will allow me to watch both the saorview and freesat , not freeview or fta ? the reason is its for my mother and i want to simply set it up and forget it , no manual tuning of channels etc and the ability to get rte . is there anywhere around dublin city centre i could see or buy one ?

i don't need any fancy features just the ability to receive all the free to air stuff.

The only hassle free option right now are separate Freesat and Saorview receivers. The standalone Saorview receiver will not be required if you already have an Irish DTT compatible TV.

Otherwise there are combi DTT/FTA Sat receivers such as the one mentioned by Villian above which would require a manual Sat scan if there is a frequency change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

watty wrote: »

About 5 minutes, after you've read the manual.

Most boxes I've come across add new channels to the end of the list, so sifting through the crap is easy enough. Also, some boxes, even the "lowly" SL-65 can cope with video/audio/pcr PID changes automatically, which are a lot more frequent than transponder changes.

The problem with most people though is that they don't take the time to read the manual fully, and understand how to get the best out of the equipment.

For me personally, if/when Saorsat gets going, I'll be looking for a box that allows me the flexibility on how I organise the order of channels and what's listed, so it's unlikely it's going to be a FreesatHD box; there are channels on the EPG I wouldn't want on my lists, and some that aren't on Freesat that I would want. Also, I couldn't care less about recording or EPGs (there's probably an app for that) either, so anyone tied to either would be better off thinking about a FreesatHD setup.

But then that's just me, I like to muck about with things and don't like being constrained by a fixed list or having to jump out into a non-freesat mode or other channels list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement