Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

termination vs resigning

Options
  • 02-02-2011 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

i was promoted about 4 months ago. It is not going well and i asked my boss to talk to me about my roll w/ the company. i got about 5 minutes w/ him. 'wrong person for the position' is what he commented. i said yes. that i would like my previous job back if possible. he said to talk to my former manager, because there might not be any openings and that he had heard some things from my former manager after i was promoted. When i asked my former manager if he would hire me back, he said that he didn't have any openings any more and proceeded to tell me that there had been comments after i had left my former position and that he had concerns. i have had 2 excellent reviews and was promoted. now, i am basically being forced out. i work in a right-to-work state and am wondering if i have any rights. i was told by a friend at work that hr had asked her if she had heard anything about how i was doing at my job (this was the same day that i talked to my boss). with 2 great reviews, can i just be pushed out of the company? i'm trying to figure out if i should 1) give my notice 2) can i give more than 2 weeks notice and get paid for more than 2 weeks? 3) what happens if i wait until they fire me? help please!!!! - Ann2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ann, your mention of a right-to-work state leads me to believe that you're in the US, so you will have difficulty getting comprehensive advice here on an Irish forum.

If this were an Irish scenario, a company would not be able to fire you after 2 good reviews unless you had done something seriously wrong (like assault a client).

The U.S. are far less protective of their workers, so a US forum would be more appropriate for your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I don't think I've spoken to anyone who was allowed to return to their old job after accepting a promotion.

For a start, it demonstrates to your employer that you have limited potential in the company.

Next, when you leave a role you can often become the scapegoat for everything that went wrong since you left. It starts with "x was meant to fax that", followed by x being accused of everything from files going missing to being the sole blame for not documenting systems and procedures. That's possibly why your old manager heard things about you since you left.

Advertisement