Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1,500 apply for 30 Argos jobs

• 02-02-2011 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/1500-apply-for-30-argos-jobs-491874.html
    Retailer Argos received a total of 1,500 applications for 30 positions to be created at its new store in Clonmel, the firm said today.

The store, the 40th Argos outlet in the country, is set to open on March 5.

“We are excited to announce the opening of our 40th store, and after 15 years in Ireland, hope that we can continue to thrive and evolve," said spokesperson Rachel Dealy.

"By creating over 25 new jobs for the Tipperary area we are committed to offering the local community value and choice, with convenience for shoppers remaining essential."

So who applied,the usual architects/solicitors/barristers/students/builders?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I don't get how people are surprised with the large amounts applying for these jobs.

Sure, aren't we fúcked? Did yis not know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That article must mean 1,500 people waiting outside the post office beside Argos to collect their dole since obviously anyone on it is a lazy scumbag with no interest in looking for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭baldbear

1,100 applied for 20 part time xmas positions in Longford. The local politicians were saying it's great that so many people are applying! They havn't a clue how fooked people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Argos and the 1500, both a great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

To get through that many people, they'll probably have 4 interview counters, A, B, C and D. You pick a number and wait in line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

i dont get this at all. we've had a position advertised online for a couple of months (no qualifications necessary) and we've had fcuk all CV's. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Duggy747 wrote: »
    That article must mean 1,500 people waiting outside the post office beside Argos to collect their dole since obviously anyone on it is a lazy scumbag with no interest in looking for work.

I hope you wore your flame repellent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I worked in Argos once, just saying.

i dont get this at all. we've had a position advertised online for a couple of months (no qualifications necessary) and we've had fcuk all CV's. :confused:

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I don't get how people are surprised with the large amounts applying for these jobs.

Sure, aren't we fúcked? Did yis not know that?

according to lots of posters on boards, there's plenty of jobs out there if you look hard enough, and there's no reason to be on the dole.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Well that's because Argos are making it up. They are just trying to get some free press for their new store. They are full of nonsense. Didn't they even bring in scabs from England when there was an industrial dispute in the Blanchardstown store?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

You're number 397. Your collection point is G. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

maybe if you gave more details than "job available, no qualifications necessary" you would get some interest here on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

according to lots of posters on boards, there's plenty of jobs out there if you look hard enough, and there's no reason to be on the dole.... :rolleyes:

Agreed. 100%.

Like a thread I was reading the other day in AH and loads of people were saying "we're not in recession anymore" :rolleyes:

how can we be out of it when we hear stuff like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Argos released the story themselves.
    It's just them getting in the news and some free publicity and making it seem as a desirable job

They had their own industrial relations issues in Dublin a few years ago with a picket and they brought in workers from England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Argos released the story themselves.
    It's just them getting in the news and some free publicity and making it seem as a desirable job

They had their own industrial relations issues in Jervis Centre a few years ago with a picket

So hear staff went on strike and they brought staff for england over... the nuggets here still went in an bought whatever they were looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Do we know the breakdown of the applicants, where they foreign nationals?

As you know we Irish prefer not to work.

Dermo wrote: »
    maybe if you gave more details than "job available, no qualifications necessary" you would get some interest here on boards

Essentially office monkey....random admin around the office but probably paying a bit more cash than Argos. The only qualification is to have done the leaving cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Well that's because Argos are making it up. They are just trying to get some free press for their new store. They are full of nonsense..

Have to say this came to my mind to fairly quickly too. Not so long ago IKEA were looking for staff and had trouble filling the positions available, and now they're saying they had 50 applicants to every one job in Argos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Place I work has been looking for 2 weeks and have only had 7..they are skilled positions but not too skilled. Entry level is fine....Think the close off is today so could be 7 people interviewing for 6 positions!

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Place I work has been looking for 2 weeks and have only had 7..they are skilled positions but not too skilled. Entry level is fine....Think the close off is today so could be 7 people interviewing for 6 positions!

Tell us more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Essentially office monkey....random admin around the office but probably paying a bit more cash than Argos. The only qualification is to have done the leaving cert.
    If you're offering €20k per annum, with unpaid overtime and "some weekend work", that would probably explain why you're not getting any applications.

Some employers are properly taking the piss with their job offers, I've seen jobs advertised at €30k per annum looking for people with degrees, certs & 10 years experience.

seamus wrote: »
    If you're offering €20k per annum, with unpaid overtime and "some weekend work", that would probably explain why you're not getting any applications....

That's a terrible attitude tbh but unsuprising in Ireland. Any idea how many people work for less than €20k per annum? That's third level graduates too by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I need a job. Someone hire me. I've no experience or anything but I make good tea and give good.... mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hey do you have a couple of minutes? i would love to tell you all about concern and the fabulous work they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

That's only 50 per job. Over 100 per position applied for my position and that was during the boom when there were loads of jobs (well just at the slowdown but still).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

prinz wrote: »
    That's a terrible attitude tbh but unsuprising in Ireland. Any idea how many people work for less than €20k per annum? That's third level graduates too by the way?

How much do you think people who have made huge investment in their education and careers should be paid?

Do you think someone with a degree, masters and 10 years relevant experience should be happy that the previous 15 years have resulted in a salary that is less than the national average?

Yours is the terrible attitude my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

My mate worked in Argos and stole a load of ipods. Sooooooo.......

On an unrelated note, I worried myself today, walking around Dublin thinking: "I wonder if that guy is on boards. Or maybe she is? She's probably that b*tch that told me I had a sick sense of humour."

*Dirty look thrown at unsuspecting, innocent woman.

This is bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

cson wrote: »
    How much do you think people who have made huge investment in their education and careers should be paid?

Do you think someone with a degree, masters and 10 years relevant experience should be happy that the previous 15 years have resulted in a salary that is less than the national average?

Sitting at home on the dole is obviously a much better use of a masters alright.

Your qaulification is worth approximately **** all if there's no related jobs out there for you. Still more of the "i'm too good for that, let a Polish lad do it" mentality that we got into during the boom.

• Advertisement

Wompa1 wrote: »

Where?

Eh, the job seamus was replying to is €20k per annum for a job that requires the Leaving Cert and nothing more. A general office 'helper'. Apparently €20,000 is not good enough because there might be some overtime? Having a laugh? That's what I said represented a terrible attitude.
    Do you think someone with a degree, masters and 10 years relevant experience should be happy that the previous 15 years have resulted in a salary that is less than the national average? Yours is the terrible attitude my friend.

Do you realise there are people such as accountancy graduates in this country being paid €15,000 (and less in a few instances) for a whole lot of overtime as well as spending all your spare time studying/exams etc. An education does not guarantee you a job, nor a minimum salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Eh, the job seamus was replying to is €20k per annum for a job that requires the Leaving Cert and nothing more. A general office 'helper'. Apparently €20,000 is not good enough because there might be some overtime? Having a laugh? That's what I said represented a terrible attitude. .

Absolutely agree with this! Granted we would all love to be earning the national average (whatever that is, assuming more than 30k by previous posts) but those national averages were probably created during boom-time and arent sustainable anymore, and contibuted to driving up the cost of living here too.

Im a college graduate and earning not much more than 20k per annum, I wouldnt neccesarily expect somebody with no experience and no qualifications to be on more.

That said, employers do take the pish, I just dont think 20k is in any way unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I've an economic recovery plan:

All big lads undergo self-defence training and become bouncers/bodyguards.

All good looking women become prostitutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

phasers wrote: »
    I need a job. Someone hire me. I've no experience or anything but I make good tea and give good.... mass

Offer €2 per hour and you keep what you find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Was Office Monkey in the job description, could put some people off :D

Where did you advertise it? I find Fas is one of the best sites to go to and it is free to advertise on as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Ive seen a lot of jobs advertised now state in them not to apply if you are overqualified.

I was ruled out of a number of jobs for being 'overqualified'. I was told I had too much experience and a higher degree of education than was needed for the job on offer.

Some employers need a good kick in the hole TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Sadly, i had to let go 2 staff last week, i have enough work on, but the market is so competitive at the moment, i could not afford to pay the relevant prsi \ paye and other taxes. The margains are not there any more to afford them, and the revenue people are ruthless.

Devil08 wrote: »
    Some employers need a good kick in the hole TBH.

No, there are, and always were positions for the uneducated foot soldiers, they'd work more loyally, accept lower pay and take praise at face value.

You, with your education or degree, whilst you'd work for peanuts, would probably be capable of running the business better and see through false praise and complain about your rights and rates of pay.

It's not worth the effort on either side ~ we need simple people to exploit, not educated people who grovel and see the job as subjugation instead of a chance to better oneself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

Why is someone with a degree automatically entitled to loads of money? You really need to lose that overinflated sense of entitlement. A chinese engineer would probably be happy with €500 euro a month. That is the kind of competition we're up against in this globalised world.

whiteonion wrote: »
    A chinese engineer would probably be happy with €500 euro a month. That is the kind of competition we're up against in this globalised world.

Especially if WE gave him free education in UCC/UCD etc here. ;)

• Advertisement

Sitting at home on the dole is obviously a much better use of a masters alright.

Your qaulification is worth approximately **** all if there's no related jobs out there for you. Still more of the "i'm too good for that, let a Polish lad do it" mentality that we got into during the boom.
    Eh, the job seamus was replying to is €20k per annum for a job that requires the Leaving Cert and nothing more. A general office 'helper'. Apparently €20,000 is not good enough because there might be some overtime? Having a laugh? That's what I said represented a terrible attitude.

Do you realise there are people such as accountancy graduates in this country being paid €15,000 (and less in a few instances) for a whole lot of overtime as well as spending all your spare time studying/exams etc. An education does not guarantee you a job, nor a minimum salary.
    whiteonion wrote: »
    Why is someone with a degree automatically entitled to loads of money? You really need to lose that overinflated sense of entitlement. A chinese engineer would probably be happy with €500 euro a month. That is the kind of competition we're up against in this globalised world.

Firstly I'd appreciate that all of you quoted have a read of my post again before attacking it.

I alluded to a post seamus made regarding employers taking the piss with offers taking into account the qualifications of the prospective employees. The poster that quoted him said it was a terrible attitude; I digress for the following reasons;

(i) A person with a Level 9 Qualification background in addition to 10 years work experience will have invested quite heavily in their education with a view to future rewards. I'm pretty certain that for 90% of these people that a remuneration that is greater than the average salary in the country [~35k] would be high on the list of desired rewards. And justified too; the best paid jobs go to either entrepreneurs who put their neck on the line and make it themselves or else hugely talented and skilled people. Investing in your education must have a corresponding positive effect on your job prospects and potential remuneration otherwise why bother?

(ii) The holier than thou attitude of 'you should be glad of a job' grates with me sometimes. I understand the current situation in the jobs market here is desperate but entry level clerical work and basic service sector jobs such as the oft mentioned McDonalds should only be a short term solution for a jobseeker with a qualification. And by short term I mean 6 months or less. Otherwise you are effectively wasting the 4/5 years it took to obtain your degree or masters. You should always pursue the area you are most qualified in even if it means emigration; ask any Architecture grad whether it's better for them to tough it out in McDonalds for a few years or spend those few years in Australia or Canada building a portfolio. In any case to the point at hand a person with a Level 9 Qualification and 10 years work experience in that sector should not be working in McDonalds only on a very short term basis. They would be better served to emigrate [taking into account commitments here in Ireland] and pursue a job in their sector in a buoyant economy.

To reiterate, my post was about a person with a level 9 and 10yrs experience as alluded to by seamus earlier. Straight out of the oven grads should be delighted with anything from 20k+; I should know because I'll be one of them next year. I know all about who pays the 15k for an ACA training contract too as Accountancy is my field. So no, a degree or a masters doesn't entitle you to a well paid job but it damn well should raise your expectation levels regarding what you have the potential to earn.

Edit: Anyway, this being AH: Go **** yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

I love the smell of Argos catalogues in the morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

fifties the field
    two chancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Not, the terrible attitude is people who say there are no jobs when they mean there are no jobs that are paying enough for me to want them. Everyone started off in low paid jobs and gradually work up. I know I certainly did and if I was unemployed would jump at €20000 a year.

I alluded to a post seamus made regarding employers taking the piss with offers taking into account the qualifications of the prospective employees. The poster that quoted him said it was a terrible attitude; I digress for the following reasons....

You haven't a clue what you were responding to...this is my post..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70427104&postcount=24

Apparently €20 grand a year for a school-leaver job explains why no one is bothered applying. That's a terrible attitude. Not 10 years experience, and third level qualifications.
    To reiterate, my post was about a person with a level 9 and 10yrs experience as alluded to by seamus earlier. Straight out of the oven grads should be delighted with anything from 20k+....

According to seamus €20k isn't enough to entice a LC grad, nevermind a Uni grad.
    If you're offering €20k per annum, with unpaid overtime and "some weekend work", that would probably explain why you're not getting any applications..

I deliberately left the part about people with degrees and 10 years experience out of my reply I think you'll find. Two different issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not, the terrible attitude is people who say there are no jobs when they mean there are no jobs that are paying enough for me to want them. Everyone started off in low paid jobs and gradually work up. I know I certainly did and if I was unemployed would jump at €20000 a year.

If you were unemployed and getting €400 a week for the missus+kids would you still jump at it?
    Few mates of mine are whinging about no work but they refuse to settle for anything less than 30k which is a bit nuts when they don't have any qualifications.. they're getting about 18-20k on the dole so where's the incentive to get off their asses?
    I've tried telling them that they need to make a start, and move their way up the ladder but Irish people seem to think they're entitled to everything for free :rolleyes:

Was Office Monkey in the job description, could put some people off :D

Where did you advertise it? I find Fas is one of the best sites to go to and it is free to advertise on as far as I know.

I had loads of PM's about this - to be fair I'm not going to post the role here. It's a job based in Dublin, 9.5pm c. 24k salary. There's jobs out there if you look and willing to drop your standards ever so slightly. Some people's attitudes around finding work are ridiculous - you have to really, really work hard and hound the living sh!t out of companies if you want to work for them.

If you're not a player you're a victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If you're offering €20k per annum, with unpaid overtime and "some weekend work", that would probably explain why you're not getting any applications.

Some employers are properly taking the piss with their job offers, I've seen jobs advertised at €30k per annum looking for people with degrees, certs & 10 years experience.
    Ok I'm definitely not a member of the "You should be grateful you have a job" brigade or an idiot who attacks those on the dole, however those are the conditions now - maybe it's businesses taking the piss, maybe they have less money, maybe it's just deemed good business practice... I would wager it's a combination of all of the above. And I'm certainly not saying it's right - some companies are being absolute dickheads and are doing nothing short of exploiting. But who has the power here? The company or the job-seeker? Such conditions = better than the alternative of not having a job to go to. I took a big cut in salary, and a job with far worse conditions when my contract at a university wasn't renewed two years ago. But it's a job - being on the dole with nothing to do all day is far, far worse. Plus, there are opportunities within the company I'm in now - and it's great for my CV. Being on the dole for a prolonged period doesn't help a CV, even if the vast majority of people on the dole don't have any other choice.
    Market dictates.
    No, but them's the breaks.
    (i) A person with a Level 9 Qualification background in addition to 10 years work experience will have invested quite heavily in their education with a view to future rewards. I'm pretty certain that for 90% of these people that a remuneration that is greater than the average salary in the country [~35k] would be high on the list of desired rewards. And justified too; the best paid jobs go to either entrepreneurs who put their neck on the line and make it themselves or else hugely talented and skilled people. Investing in your education must have a corresponding positive effect on your job prospects and potential remuneration otherwise why bother?
    What about education for education's sake? It's not all about getting a job. I'd say to someone who is wondering what job an arts degree would qualify them for that an arts degree isn't really a career-focused one (bar teaching) but otherwise, education is better than none. And it still increases a person's chances in the work world.
    I understand the current situation in the jobs market here is desperate but entry level clerical work and basic service sector jobs such as the oft mentioned McDonalds should only be a short term solution for a jobseeker with a qualification. And by short term I mean 6 months or less. Otherwise you are effectively wasting the 4/5 years it took to obtain your degree or masters.
    Education is not a waste - ok I regret the masters I did, but I'd still prefer to have done it than not to have done it. The short-term solution you speak of is not the reality I'm afraid. People shouldn't feel above certain jobs just because they have qualifications - that to me is not a good attitude. Most people thankfully don't seem to have it though, despite what some geniuses here say.
    You should always pursue the area you are most qualified in
    Why? Emigration isn't an option for some either - e.g. family reasons: kids, infirm parent(s) etc. Although I'd agree those who are in a position to do so should emigrate if there are better opportunities further afield.
    Edit: Anyway, this being AH: Go **** yourselves.
    Because they disagree with you. Grow up. Although you did say you are a college kid - and it seems that way all right. You don't seem to have a full grasp of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

To get through that many people, they'll probably have 4 interview counters, A, B, C and D. You pick a number and wait in line.

then find out it's out of stock

You haven't a clue what you were responding to...this is my post..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70427104&postcount=24

Apparently €20 grand a year for a school-leaver job explains why no one is bothered applying. That's a terrible attitude. Not 10 years experience, and third level qualifications.

According to seamus €20k isn't enough to entice a LC grad, nevermind a Uni grad.

I deliberately left the part about people with degrees and 10 years experience out of my reply I think you'll find. Two different issues.

Why then quote my post and respond to it like I had said 20k isn't enough for a school leaver? Again, have another read of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement