Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC HD7 - Can't connect to Wireless Network

Options
  • 02-02-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this should go in the big thread. Anyway, I got a HTC HD7 today and I am in the process of playing around with it. The first issue I have encountered is an inability to connect to my Eircom wireless network. The network is detected by the phone and I have entered the correct encryption key per the settings from http://192.168.1.254/
    Each time I try I get this message:
    Connection unsuccessful
    Your phone couldn't reach the WiFi network

I've tried restarting the phone but that hasn't helped. The wireless network is working fine as I am using it at the moment to browse this site.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Okay, I seem to have sorted it. I reset the router and it connected this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This would be a round-about way of fixing it, but it sounds like you're using WEP for your home network, would you consider changing it to a WPA2 encrypted network instead? Although WP7 does support WEP you get better security with WPA2. Might get things working. I've had certain devices (a VAIO laptop for example) that weren't able to connect to my parents WEP network but worked fine with WPA2 later on. Plus you don't have to enter long hash keys to register new devices; you can pick a simpler password.

Failing that I would recommend rebooting the router, and entering in the wifi key one more time (might be a typo, you never know).

EDIT: Didn't see you got it fixed, never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This would be a round-about way of fixing it, but it sounds like you're using WEP for your home network, would you consider changing it to a WPA2 encrypted network instead? Although WP7 does support WEP you get better security with WPA2.
    Yes you're right, I am using WEP. Would changing it to WPA screw up any other devices that connect to it? Off the top of my head there's at least seven computers and two consoles that use the wireless connection and I'd hate to have to end up messing with the settings for them all.
    Plus you don't have to enter long hash keys to register new devices; you can pick a simpler password.
    That would definitely be handy although I nearly know the encryption key by heart at this stage :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Some older devices will not know how to talk to WPA... You won't discover which ones though until you make the change. The most reliable way to move to WPA is to also change the SSID so that every device thinks its connecting to a brand new network: a nice fresh start! You'll have to enter the new password on every device.

On the other hand, if it ain't broke...

Advertisement