Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Calving cameras to Internet again!

• 02-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all

I am new to boards and I have been looking on other threads for this but I hoping I can get a bit more help. here is the situation.

I am getting calving cameras and these calving cameras are going to be connected to a dvr with internet access so that I can view the camera over the internet. Now the system i am getting needs a fixed ip address but i have read dyndns.com that gets over this problem.

here is what the system will be - the cameras will be connected to the dvr, the dvr will be connected to a broadband usb 3 G router which will have a 3 modem connected to it. the signal is very good as I am up on a hill. now there is a company in the uk called www.cctvtechsupport.co.uk that will configure the whole lot for me but i am a bit of a diy person and I would love to try it out using the dyndns.com software first as it is free. I am familiar to with computers with networking is new to me and also configuring routers, port forwarding, etc. Can anybody suggest and how I can get all this stuff working together? Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I have no idea but you might have more luck posting in one of the I.T forums than the farming forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 karj28

i guess your right, just saw it discussed here before, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

How does the DVR connect to the 3g modem?
    Is recording really a feature you need on these?

You could connect an IP Camera:

Choose a camera that has a web server built into iit

Connect the camera direct to the usb 3 G router (I am guessing if it is a router it will have some ethernet ports)

Check with your broadband supplier if they can supply you with a static IP address

If you cannot get a staic ip address you could use something like

http://www.no-ip.com/ which would give you a web address that can point to a changing IP

Something to get you thinking about it anyway

hi thanks for the reply. I wanted to get the calving cameras cos they are suppose to be better for those conditions - waterproof, dust proof etc. I can get the dvr without the recording facility - i don't need one with a hard drive. The 3g router would be connected to the dvr with a cat 5 cable. i don't want to get a wireless dvr because there is only the cow shed for housing anyway so the cameras, the dvr and the router will be all wired together. i guess instructions will come with the dvr on how to set that up and get the camera and dvr and router communicating but its setting up the remote access i need help on. do i need a computer on site for the no-ip or dyndns to work does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

karj28 wrote: »
    Hi all

I am new to boards and I have been looking on other threads for this but I hoping I can get a bit more help. here is the situation.

I am getting calving cameras and these calving cameras are going to be connected to a dvr with internet access so that I can view the camera over the internet. Now the system i am getting needs a fixed ip address but i have read dyndns.com that gets over this problem.

here is what the system will be - the cameras will be connected to the dvr, the dvr will be connected to a broadband usb 3 G router which will have a 3 modem connected to it. the signal is very good as I am up on a hill. now there is a company in the uk called www.cctvtechsupport.co.uk that will configure the whole lot for me but i am a bit of a diy person and I would love to try it out using the dyndns.com software first as it is free. I am familiar to with computers with networking is new to me and also configuring routers, port forwarding, etc. Can anybody suggest and how I can get all this stuff working together? Any help much appreciated.

well you need to register an account with dyndns anway, you will be setting up a kinda domain name say somehting like karjcowshed.dyndns.com under your account, you will be pointing it to your internet ip address, now to be honest i dont think this will work great with 3g internet, will you leave your 3g connected all the time? anyway lets say you are connected you can find out what your public ip is by going to this website
    www.whatsmyip.org
    the next step will be on your internet router where you will probably have to do port forwarding where you set up a port say 8080 to forward to the internal ip of the dvr

hope some of that makes sense :D

• Advertisement

hey thanks for the replies :)

ya most people have said the 3g internet is not a great option but unfortunately we can't get the internet from anyone else only 3....

I was actually very impressed with the signal i got cos i tried it out last nite, it was better then my own eircom internet at home (which is supposed to be 3mB! :rolleyes:

I was told i needed a minimum of 200KB/s upload speed and i am getting more then that. the internet would be connected all the time - this could be an issue as there is a data quota per month but this seems to be the case with eircom and other providers aswell... i am hoping to find out how much data i would need i have a choice of 15gb or 30 gb per month. i am also going to look into the penalties of going over quota!

i guess all i can do is have a go, i know i have the uk company to fall back on if i can't get it working myself - i have looked at dyndns.org but the technobabble in their instructions is a bit overwhelming! i think i just have to connect everything up first and get it all working as a LAN and then once that is working set up the remote access using dyndns.org or the no ip thingy. i have heard it isn't that difficult but it would be so nice to get it explained in english how to do it. i will be getting the system in next week hopefully so will just have to have a go!

Can you apply for a fixed IP from 3? Then you could cut out the dyndns possibly and go straight to your modem just by http to it's ip. You would still need the port forward to DVD address though

QUOTE=karj28;70433927]hey thanks for the replies :)

ya most people have said the 3g internet is not a great option but unfortunately we can't get the internet from anyone else only 3....

I was actually very impressed with the signal i got cos i tried it out last nite, it was better then my own eircom internet at home (which is supposed to be 3mB! :rolleyes:

I was told i needed a minimum of 200KB/s upload speed and i am getting more then that. the internet would be connected all the time - this could be an issue as there is a data quota per month but this seems to be the case with eircom and other providers aswell... i am hoping to find out how much data i would need i have a choice of 15gb or 30 gb per month. i am also going to look into the penalties of going over quota!

i guess all i can do is have a go, i know i have the uk company to fall back on if i can't get it working myself - i have looked at dyndns.org but the technobabble in their instructions is a bit overwhelming! i think i just have to connect everything up first and get it all working as a LAN and then once that is working set up the remote access using dyndns.org or the no ip thingy. i have heard it isn't that difficult but it would be so nice to get it explained in english how to do it. i will be getting the system in next week hopefully so will just have to have a go![/QUOTE]

no they don't provide a fixed ip address unfortunately..

I get wireless bb from a crowd called lightnet or lighthouse. I find it pretty good now

our only other option was eircom and they could only give us 1mb for some reason, also we would be paying phone rental for no reason as no dwelling house .

we could try permanet but other neighbours using that and the signal is bad enough - its wireless broadband

• Advertisement

karj28 wrote: »
    our only other option was eircom and they could only give us 1mb for some reason, also we would be paying phone rental for no reason as no dwelling house .

we could try permanet but other neighbours using that and the signal is bad enough - its wireless broadband

you must be too far from the eircom exchange to get it, we had the same trouble, sure see how you go, send me a message if stuck on anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 getmeout

Karl,

How did it work out for you?

Going to try and set up one next week with three broadband also, any tips for me? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I get wireless bb from a crowd called lightnet or lighthouse. I find it pretty good now

Same as myself, radio broadband, it's better than the Eircom alternative package called SFA broadband.

Advertisement